3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

crack thermostat inlet housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 04:19 PM

crack thermostat inlet housing

So i found out my ve30de thermostat inlet housing is crack. what are my options?

1. take it to a shop to weld?
can a shop weld this piece? if they do will it hold up to the temp, and pressure?

2. called courtesy nissan, and basically they don't have in stock anywhere, got to get used one

3. will continue calling local jy but, seems like my options are pretty limited due to the age of the car.

if anyone has a spare ve30de thermostat inlet housing lmmk asap..
Old 10-31-2015, 09:34 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

It could be TIG welded in the right hands. It's aluminum but seems to be cast aluminum and if so would take somebody fairly skilled to weld it properly. Cast parts don't really like to be welded.

Anyway, I have a spare good one. I'll PM you.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:19 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Go and find a used one...the cast alum is not really TIG friendly.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:28 PM

I had a friend that had a cracked inlet on his vg but was able to have a skilled welder fix it but at a price that a new one would have costed. The inlet was not available but the outer part of the housing was but that's great James was able to help you. You gotta be careful torquing the bolts too tight when changing the thermostat. In order to have it tig welded it has to be boiled to get all the contaminants/coolant out of the cast aluminum before welding and it definately takes a skilled welder to weld cast aluminum though it can definately be done.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
It could be TIG welded in the right hands. It's aluminum but seems to be cast aluminum and if so would take somebody fairly skilled to weld it properly. Cast parts don't really like to be welded.

Anyway, I have a spare good one. I'll PM you.
check your payapl!! money sent

Originally Posted by DanNY
Go and find a used one...the cast alum is not really TIG friendly.
yeah, i would prefer a used one over welding my crack piece

Originally Posted by ac max 92
I had a friend that had a cracked inlet on his vg but was able to have a skilled welder fix it but at a price that a new one would have costed. The inlet was not available but the outer part of the housing was but that's great James was able to help you. You gotta be careful torquing the bolts too tight when changing the thermostat. In order to have it tig welded it has to be boiled to get all the contaminants/coolant out of the cast aluminum before welding and it definately takes a skilled welder to weld cast aluminum though it can definately be done.
right on!!, i tighten it too tight and it crack on me.

anyways, thanks guys for the suggestions, and thanks james, you really helped me out. i was basically s.o.l