3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Ebay turbo needs rebuild (video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 02:16 PM

Ebay turbo needs rebuild (video)

Old 05-21-2016, 04:57 AM

Did you buy the turbo used? It seems to have failed early even for an eBay one.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:10 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Tony how did you resist that ice cream truck!?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Tony how did you resist that ice cream truck!?
Lol
Old 05-21-2016, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tiniform
Did you buy the turbo used? It seems to have failed early even for an eBay one.
Never used bought off craiglist. There was no shaft play. It was solid spin, perfect condition. Shredded metal is what destroyed the journal bearing. I'm waiting on rebuild kit. I already purchase a magnetic oil drain bolt. Planning on doing 2 oil changes before installing my rebuild turbo.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:07 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

it's probably metal burrs from manufacturing. it's due to poor QC on building the turbo from china.
"c-clip"...that's the name of the clip. it's also known as lock ring too.

when you rebuild a turbo you're supposed to strobe light balance it. i doubt you have that equipment or the skill to do that...so just keep that in mind that it's not as easy as pulling bearing out and throwing them back in. the oil passage ways allows for the oil to come in and basically the journal bearing rides on a thin coating of oil. if you do decide to swap it out and throw it back together your turbo might live a short life. keep in mind that blade spins at like 100K RPM.

in any event i doubt you'll listen to me and you'll do what you want to do anyway...so good luck.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
it's probably metal burrs from manufacturing. it's due to poor QC on building the turbo from china.
"c-clip"...that's the name of the clip. it's also known as lock ring too.

when you rebuild a turbo you're supposed to strobe light balance it. i doubt you have that equipment or the skill to do that...so just keep that in mind that it's not as easy as pulling bearing out and throwing them back in. the oil passage ways allows for the oil to come in and basically the journal bearing rides on a thin coating of oil. if you do decide to swap it out and throw it back together your turbo might live a short life. keep in mind that blade spins at like 100K RPM.

in any event i doubt you'll listen to me and you'll do what you want to do anyway...so good luck.
I mark it so it can stay balance. Godspeed turbos come balanced. I can see the marking. But ill wont listen to you and do want i want to do jk lol.

The godspeed turbo is going to be a backup turbo. I'm picking up a holset today and rebuild it before installibg it as my primary turbo. But just to let everyone know this EBAY TURBO godspeed is not crap, it actually works well. Stupid shredded pieces of metal from bad timing chain cause the journal bearing to wear out fast. I'm planning on doing 2 oil changes installing the magnetic oil bolt then ill install rebuild turbo
Old 05-25-2016, 05:27 AM

Are you breaking almost everything you touch these days Tony Lol
Old 05-25-2016, 06:06 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by TonyJr
I mark it so it can stay balance. Godspeed turbos come balanced. I can see the marking. But ill wont listen to you and do want i want to do jk lol.

The godspeed turbo is going to be a backup turbo. I'm picking up a holset today and rebuild it before installibg it as my primary turbo. But just to let everyone know this EBAY TURBO godspeed is not crap, it actually works well. Stupid shredded pieces of metal from bad timing chain cause the journal bearing to wear out fast. I'm planning on doing 2 oil changes installing the magnetic oil bolt then ill install rebuild turbo
ok as long as you marked it and it goes back at that same spot then you're good...for the most part.

wait...how did a piece of metal end up there? your engine picks up the oil from the screened oil pick up and send it up to the engine (through the filter of course). how did that piece of metal get by?
Old 05-25-2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Are you breaking almost everything you touch these days Tony Lol
This year things are just going bad smh. Now my brakes need some attention. It's a never ending project That i enjoy

Last edited by TonyJr; 05-25-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
ok as long as you marked it and it goes back at that same spot then you're good...for the most part.

wait...how did a piece of metal end up there? your engine picks up the oil from the screened oil pick up and send it up to the engine (through the filter of course). how did that piece of metal get by?
Good question. Tomorrow I'm doing oil change. So ill check old oil to see if i see metal flakes. I just received my magnetic oil pan screw hopefully this will answer some question.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:37 PM

Finish rebuild godspeed turbo today.