3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I'm back. Yes Another VE 5 Speed. 1992.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 07:36 PM

I'm back. Yes Another VE 5 Speed. 1992.

Well look at what I found! 1992 VE 5 Speed with 96k. 2 owner one family. My 3rd Maxima! This was well maintained and garaged all its life. Owner took very good care of this Maxima. Supposedly did not drive it during the winter, as they had a beater for that. Some features that are missing are: abs, air bags and power seats not in this setup.

I flew out to Ohio on a whim to meet up with the seller. A few pictures and videos is all I had and the vin. I was impressed. After leaving NYC at 230pm and landing around 345pm at Cleveland Hopkins Airport in Ohio, the gentleman picked me up in it! We talked and I drove the max around and I'm smiling, big ol smile! Just like I remembered it! We negotiate and got the title transferred and got temporary tags. I left Ohio around 6 something and filled her up before heading on I 80 East. As I'm on the highway I get the sense of the Maxima. Getting to know what little quirks it has that I didnt experience with the first test drive. Two things that I noted. 1 There is a slight vibration after 55+ mph, no alignment issues might be the tires. 2nd the speedo is off. Driving 55mph my phone gps and a second gps shows accurate, but once I'm over that it is off by 5 mph. If I'm driving 65 I'm doing 60 80 mph I'm doing 75. Strange and noticed only while cruising. I was wondering why my estimate time of arrival kept going up if I'm doing the speed limit. Then looked at the speedo and the phone display, no wonder people were passing me. I'm like gez everyone is speeding. Lol. So I drove non stop through the night until I stopped for gas at Fort Lee NJ. Pennsylvania is freaking long! I filled up 16 gallons 480 miles 29 mpg! The gas attendant was checking out the Maxima and said my the car was thirsty! He asked the year and mileage and couldn't believe it.

So far when I got the Maxima the previous owner
Changed the shocks and struts all around. Replaced the brakes rotors and pads. Changed out plugs and coils. Its almost time to oil change, due.

So far I've registered her. Changed out the oil and filter using the Toyota filter yzz and Amazon Full Synthetic 10w30 oil with some liquid molly anti friction oil additive. The mechanic checked her out. The radiator antifreeze is nice and clean, no rust. The upper valve cover where you put the oil has no sign of gunk or buildup inside it, looking new. No rust in the wheel well gas filler. He did spot the rear sway bar bushing are rotted. The driver side axle seal slight sweat of oil coming out (needs replacement) and the crank pulley seal is also sweating (needs replacement). No cat, has a test pipe(which I knew about). I have the stock rims but needs to be refurbished (peeling and scraped). Clutch is original and no slipping. A/C is original, never serviced and works very well. Aftermarket radio with a small sub. I have the original Bose stereo and speakers in a box he had saved in his garage. When I tell you all is original. He had receipts from 20+ years ago. The tires and rims installed 1999! I know that has to be changed out, but looks in great shape no dry rot (might be the issue with the slight vibration I felt). The interior is mint! Non smoker and no tears or rip. The original owner loved this car and it showed.

So far I'm enjoying getting back into being a Maxima owner.
Although I must admit its very annoying to have the stick in NYC traffic, small price to pay for such a fun driving experience! I'm very lucky to have found this and happy to be back. Just too bad the mod market dried up I would have enjoyed modding this one.

~Izzy~

Amazing condition!

All cleaned up.

No Power Leather Seats

95xxx

A Little thump.

Picking Her Up From Ohio

Mileage as transfer of title. New ownership .

Home.

Home To NYC. Filled up at 16 gal averaging 29 mpg!

My commuter car.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:35 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

What a nice car. That's got to one of the cleanest 3rd gens left, not to mention it's a VE. What is the paint color?

I did something similar. Last year I got a 99 that was in very good condition to replace my 98.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
What a nice car. That's got to one of the cleanest 3rd gens left, not to mention it's a VE. What is the paint color?

I did something similar. Last year I got a 99 that was in very good condition to replace my 98.
You know what its hard to tell if its maroon or burgundy.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:18 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

My dad had a 96 Ruby Pearl. It looks very similar. The paint code is ALO.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:35 PM

Paint code AH2 Burgundy Pearl. Not maroon.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:09 AM

I am surprised it doesn't have an airbag especially since it's a VE. Airbag was fitted to the mid 92 models the same year the VE engine came in the SE models.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:58 AM

very nice !! nice story too! and good luck with it.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:57 AM

Great collection story and lovely looking thing in that colour.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:56 PM

Little Time Gremlins

Welp. Just after getting the Maxima and having it for a few weeks things are coming out. So I finally, after 18 years of waiting for a parking space at my complex, I recieved a letter saying one became available. Excellent news! I went to work and parked. It was a hot day and went to turn my AC and the fan stopped working. I looked on here and checked the fuse, relay, blower motor and thermal amp. I changed everything them all out except the blower and still nothing. For the Next few days I left the fan setting on 4. On my day off I got the blower motor and got in the Max. I turned the key to on and lowered my windows, what the heck the blower is working now. I was about to lower the final window ( pass front ) and the window regulator self destructed! Wtf Gremlins! Now I have to deal with two issues. I went ahead and changed out the oem motor since it was worn out. Everything works! So I thought. After dealing with the window I took off the door panel and pushed up the window and wedged cardboard to keep it up. Then shipping tape from the inside to outside with a piece of paper towel covering the painted areas. I went to get fast food for dinner and the ac was pumping cold! Great. I went and got the food and came back turned on the car and now nothing, no ac! Got a multi meter, and turns out the blower motor harness isn't getting any voltage. So I dont know why or were the issue is. I'm still waiting on the regulator, and should be in Friday. As far I'm hoping it's not the control head unit. Sad to say the age is catching up. I get lots compliments everywhere I go, people are shocked at how nice it looks. But currently with these evil time Gremlins keep attacking it.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:37 AM

Likely the relays are sketchy.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:06 AM
mcx

...beautiful find...please get it off the NYC street parking!
Old 09-10-2019, 01:27 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Pretty cool. I remember seeing this on a link to a FB group a buddy sent me. Did you see/bid on the mint VE that was on BAT back earlier this summer? I was going to bid on it but it got too rich for my blood.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...san-maxima-se/

As far as your AC blower motor - did you check the obvious first of all? That would be the blower motor resistor. Second most likely culprit in my experience would simply be a worn HVAC control unit - the slider bars get ruts worn in them from use over the years and simply don't make good contact on each 1, 2, 3, 4 position setting. If you pull the control unit out you'll see what I mean. Often times, just moving your slider bar a taaaaaaad over (i.e., if you're trying to use speed "2", move your slider just a fraction left or right from where it would typically rest) will fix the issue.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lovely whip! Keep ridin nice. Yeh I got the BaT mobile whew

Last edited by Craven; 09-10-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Craven

Beautiful.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:54 PM

Wait - you got the car? How? Did the vimal buyer fall through and it went to you?
Old 09-10-2019, 01:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Vimalp sold it to me luckily !
Old 09-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I’ve added many, many horsepowers

Old 09-10-2019, 03:23 PM

Vimalp sold it to me luckily !
Wow that's crazy. How long after he bought it? He just wasn't feeling it? I'll leave the questions after this. Hate to hijack this poor guy's thread.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wonderful threD, 2 recent 3gen SE wooo hoooo! My new friend vimalp was kind enough to pass the Precious to me. He’s a good family man and was directing his efforts where most needed. Thanks for letting me chime in here friends