3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Third gen maxima bug bit me yet again. My project 94 SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 04:50 PM

Third gen maxima bug bit me yet again. My project 94 SE

I don't know what it is about these cars that makes them so hard to move on from, but I've decided I've got to have another one. In spite of the fact they are impossible to find in any condition and about as valuable as a pack of gum, I think they are probably one of the most well built and under rated cars to come out of Japan in the 90's.

Because I couldn't find a good example, I'm on my second attempt to revive one that is in disrepair. This one runs badly, hopefully only because of the awful condition of the fuel tank, but I guess we'll find out together.
​​​​​
It's a 94 automatic with the ve30 and a mint cloth interior, but I do have another car, which is a vg manual car and likely to get parted out , so I'm hoping the vg manual bolts up to the ve. If anyone knows if that actually works I'd love to know, and that might possibly be in the cards in the future, especially if the auto trans fails.

I'm hoping this car comes to life fairly soon and I'm able to share the progress with yall.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:47 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

manual gear boxes can be swapped over. most people prefer the VE30 manual gear box since it comes with VSLD from factory. the VG 5 spd is open diff.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
manual gear boxes can be swapped over. most people prefer the VE30 manual gear box since it comes with VSLD from factory. the VG 5 spd is open diff.
Thank you for answering that question.. I guess I will save it and put it on the shelf for later along with the pedals, linkage and everything else.

A little update: I managed to get the fuel tank back in and started the car. It would appear it has other problems.. At this point it will idle, but not Rev without dying. It's also putting out some white smoke now.

I'm really hoping I can get it figured out and move onto other aspects of bringing this car back and not just have it be a failed attempt to revive it.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:17 AM

I swapped out fuel pumps hoping to fix the idle and rev issue I was having, but when I tried to start the car it hydro locked again. Tried to clear the fuel out of the system but couldn't get it to do much, so I pulled the intake and all the fuel injectors. Looks like the o rings are in pretty bad shape on all of them.. Especially two on the back of the engine where there was basically a lake of fuel inside the intake. At least two injectors were just sitting there dropping fuel into the engine while it's turned off..

Kind of gives me hope that once I replace the fuel injectors and o rings and change the oil that maybe just maybe I'll have a running car. Keep your fingers crossed and any other advice would be helpful.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:59 PM

Got everything back together and it actually runs and drives now.. No more hydrolock, smoke cleared up after a few miles and the fuel system seems to have cleared out.

​​​​​​Very thankful... I did break the egr tube... Luckily the VG parts car I have appears to have the same part.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:50 AM

So just to update... If there is anyone else out there reading this who cares about these cars... Egr tube replacement didn't work out so I deleted the egr altogether.

Took the car out for a few test drives. Finally running and sounding OK but didn't seem to have all of its power and idling a little eratic. Pulled up to an intersection and the rpms just sort of slowly dropped and the car stalled out. Wouldn't start back up. Managed to get it to start after a few minutes of trying, it ran long enough to get the car turned around in the direction of home and then sputtered and died again.

So, this thing may yet see the inside of a junk yard in my ownership... (not really, just mad) I'm pretty baffled by it. My first inclination would be crank sensor took a dump, since the car has had fuel issues I looked to that first but it seems to be getting fuel. I thought maybe some trash was left in the system but I think not.

Anyone have similar experiences? Ideas?
Old 07-28-2020, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by maxima278
So just to update... If there is anyone else out there reading this who cares about these cars... Egr tube replacement didn't work out so I deleted the egr altogether.

Took the car out for a few test drives. Finally running and sounding OK but didn't seem to have all of its power and idling a little eratic. Pulled up to an intersection and the rpms just sort of slowly dropped and the car stalled out. Wouldn't start back up. Managed to get it to start after a few minutes of trying, it ran long enough to get the car turned around in the direction of home and then sputtered and died again.

So, this thing may yet see the inside of a junk yard in my ownership... (not really, just mad) I'm pretty baffled by it. My first inclination would be crank sensor took a dump, since the car has had fuel issues I looked to that first but it seems to be getting fuel. I thought maybe some trash was left in the system but I think not.

Anyone have similar experiences? Ideas?
Seems that people just aren't logging on anymore or everyone is caught up with this whole corona stuff. This forum definitely isn't what it used to be. Operating on a skeleton crew. But regarding your car, you are on the right path. Change your fuel filter, check your coils, and yes, change the crank sensor. That wont hurt either.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by badazzsupamax
Seems that people just aren't logging on anymore or everyone is caught up with this whole corona stuff. This forum definitely isn't what it used to be. Operating on a skeleton crew. But regarding your car, you are on the right path. Change your fuel filter, check your coils, and yes, change the crank sensor. That wont hurt either.
When I look up the part I see two different parts that come up as crank sensor. One is a rather expensive part right against the valve cover on the driver side, also described as the distributor, the other is just a common looking sensor, I don't know the location of it. Would both of these things be culprits on this issue?
Old 07-29-2020, 05:54 AM

When I look up the part I see two different parts that come up as crank sensor. One is a rather expensive part right against the valve cover on the driver side, also described as the distributor, the other is just a common looking sensor, I don't know the location of it. Would both of these things be culprits on this issue?
Yes. The larger one I changed recently when my car was stalling and missing. I changed that and a cracked coil and not only did it fix the hesitation, but it also took away my vtc clack instantly! Never came back. I think this is the fix for the vtc's but nobody ever stumbled upon it. Either way, changing that resolved most of my problems. And it wasn't even brand new. I got it from my old parts bin in storage.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DanNY
Yeah, just have to drill and pull out a Crankshaft bushing too and replace it with the 5-speed version. The. Do some wording so the ECU allows ignition.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:20 AM

This car will be for sale soon... I really don't want to work on it any more. It's running and driving, but only on five cylinders. Changed plug, swapped coils around and no change. Has compression. Guess it's the fuel injector but I'm really not wanting to pull the intake again.

Anyone reading this who's interested, send me a text at 678-316-6882 and we can talk details and I'll answer any questions. The VG 5 speed car is also available. Take them both and I'll make you a good package deal. Located in Winder ga.
​​
Having said that, if anyone knows of a RUNNING manual black on black se, 89-94, I may be interested.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:28 AM

$1000 takes both cars! At least until I calm down, and get motivated to pull the intake again. Not like it's that difficult, I just have other projects.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:46 PM

$1000 takes both cars! At least until I calm down, and get motivated to pull the intake again. Not like it's that difficult, I just have other projects.
Pics of both cars please.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:22 AM

Send me a text if you're interested, and I'll send more pictures. 6783166882
White car runs and drives, needs another injector I guess, pearl car has a blown head gasket and ran and drove until i pulled the gas tank and a few other parts.

Originally Posted by badazzsupamax
Pics of both cars please.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:50 PM

Parting out

Are you willing to part out the cars????? If soo....
What struts do these Max's have on them ??????
Old 09-07-2020, 12:42 PM

At this point I just want both of them gone.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:58 PM

A month later, sorry I'm so late reading this. I don't know if you still have these cars, But from reading your posts and issues of Diagnosis
I'm going to mention something not ever mentioned, Check the Fuse box in the car, Not just check it, but check the fuse contacts make sure the terminals have not spread, usually you'll see tiny burn marks on the fuse it self if so. I've run into this about 6 times over the years. you'll hit a bump and car will just cut off and not restart. I have seen this for fuel pump issues as well on that circuit . It can be a hard diag sometimes. the fuel pumps in these cars are solid, huge as a coke can, and deff can pull the amps when failing over the years. Check that fuse and contacts would be my advice. #peace
Old 10-08-2020, 03:22 AM

I did fix the no start issue with a new used crank sensor, I had also already replaced the fuel pump.

I've got the car back in my garage and the intake out, when I have time I'll put in the third set of injectors and we'll see how it goes.

​​​​