3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3rd Gen Auto Door Locks hainted

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 02:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

3rd Gen Auto Door Locks hainted

Have an end of the cycle 3rd Gen Maxima GXE built 10/93 Model HJL30HAEVBS5D.

On an increasingly regular basis, after the vehicle sits for a number of days, all 4 doors will AUTO-LOCK. Sometimes the door handle keypad will unlock the doors, but frequently not - have to resort to key in door lock. Also infrequently, while driving and without command, all the locks will move to the locked position. Never had the doors unlock without command. Additionally, infrequently, the door lock/unlock switch will not function in either mode (lock or unlock). Sometimes the key will only unlock the driver or pax doors and not release the remaining locks on second key turn. Typically I can lock the doors using the door handle keypad.

I may start driving with the door lock/unlock switch not responding and just a mysteriously it will begin to function. Does not seem to be related to potholes or rough road vibrations.

Suggestions please!!
Old 11-14-2020, 06:33 PM

Time Control Unit? My guess.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Forgot to mention the seatbelt light & chime come on a random times while driving.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

@@Darkwing48Thanks for the suggestion. I pulled up the Time Control System in the FSM section EL and read the troubleshooting and system operations.
There are 12 functions the Time Controller handles; other than the uncommanded seatbelt chime, all the other functions are normal (e.g. intermittent wiper, washer/wiper, interior lamp timer, instrument panel brightness).
Old 11-15-2020, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by yv1lw
Forgot to mention the seatbelt light & chime come on a random times while driving.
That is a separate problem. I learned to live with it until the chime eventually died. It would work good for months, then return with a vengeance.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:57 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

seat belt chime...there's a little switch in the seat belt track.
i had mine replaced years ago under warranty twice. i believe they had to replace the entire track...not sure if they even have the parts anymore.

as to the door locking situation. unplug the driver side master door panel. see if that changes anything. the buttons have a tendency to go bad and funky things will happen when it goes bad. door locking and unlocking, windows randomly coming down...or windows won't come down when you press the button.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanx @DanNY.

Not sure where the switch in the seat belt track would be? In the latch mechanism by the center console? Or in the retractor? My Gen 3 has the auto-shoulder harness and the manual lapbelt. I would imagine that it could be a seat "butt-detection" switch buried in the bottom seat cushion.

To disconnnect the master door/window switch, does the door panel need to be removed or can I "lift" the switch assembly out of its cradle by gently prying on the unit?

Thanx.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:17 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by yv1lw
Thanx @DanNY.

Not sure where the switch in the seat belt track would be? In the latch mechanism by the center console? Or in the retractor? My Gen 3 has the auto-shoulder harness and the manual lapbelt. I would imagine that it could be a seat "butt-detection" switch buried in the bottom seat cushion.

To disconnnect the master door/window switch, does the door panel need to be removed or can I "lift" the switch assembly out of its cradle by gently prying on the unit?

Thanx.
it's in the seat belt track i believe. somewhere buried in the b pillar. like when the door is opened the belt is forward. once you close the door the seat belt light will stay on until the belt makes it's travel all the way to the b pillar. once it does that then the belt light or chime goes away. i havent taken it apart personally since the dealer fixed it under warranty but they replaced the track and it's all set. i'm sure you can rig something up to jump it so if the switch is goofy you won't get the ding.

you'll need to take off the pull handle. there's a rubber plug on the back side. take that out and you'll see the screw and there's another screw in the cup of the door latch. pull off the curved piece out and the bottom screw of the handle is there.

once the handle is free you can pry out the controls.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:41 AM

Intermittent seat belt chime repair is quite simple - at least in my case it was. I applied a small bead of silicone to the tip of metal buckle that goes into the auto/shoulder belt and allow it harden. over the years the inside of the female receiver wears so slightly and when the belt is inserted it doesnt depress the switch inside.