3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

are GXE's pre setup for fogs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 08:09 AM

Just wondering because there is a fuse for them and a relay. is there any wiring setup that you could wire some in then put the se fog switch in your dash?
Old 11-20-2000, 09:30 AM

I am positive that there is a way to wire them to the SE switch. The only thing is that with existing wiring the fog's would only work when the headlights are on.
I am planning on installing some fogs and want them to be controlled by a switch, not when the healights are on.
I bought a stock fog light switch from a lady on EBay.
I haven't bought the fogs yet but hopefully when I do, the install won't be that bad.
What fogs are u using?
Old 11-20-2000, 09:53 AM

I'm using some stock se fogs from a 90. I have the se switch from an se at the junkyard also. i just need to figure out how hard its gonna be to wire these up. I really like the way the factory se fogs look. i would like to be able to have them on when the lights are off too. do you know anything about the bulb size on them ? ( i dont actually have the fogs yet) because id like to get some hyper white or something
Old 11-20-2000, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by block
I'm using some stock se fogs from a 90. I have the se switch from an se at the junkyard also. i just need to figure out how hard its gonna be to wire these up. I really like the way the factory se fogs look. i would like to be able to have them on when the lights are off too. do you know anything about the bulb size on them ? ( i dont actually have the fogs yet) because id like to get some hyper white or something
I have no idea what kind of bulb they use. I really don't like how the stock SE fogs look so I am going to buy some relatively inexpensive aftermarket fogs.
I saw some nice ones in AutoZone..they're Pilot's and they cost $50 and use an H3 bulb and produce the "H.I.D. look." I also want to do the wiring myself but I don't know that much about that stuff. I know that it's easy to wire them so that they are on only when the headlights are on but I don't want that. So, to wire then so that they are controlled by a switch is much harder, I heard. I know a local guy who charges $25 an hour to install fogs so I am thinking of just paying him for the worry-free install.
Let me know how things go.

Laterz,
Roman
Old 11-20-2000, 12:35 PM
Greyboy

It's already wired.

The car is completely wire already. All you have to do is find the wires. The wires for the fogs are behind the bumper and below headlights. If you look, they're bundled up on itself down there and it has the plug that goes into the fog lamps on the end. All you need to do is plug them into the fog lamps and you're done down there. YOu do have to buy a relay swithch though- it IS NOT already in the car, just prewired. Then you have to take off the dash part that houses the factory switch and plug that into the wire that's behind there somewhere, you'll know because it'll fit right in there. It's not hard, if you have any more questions just ask me. I put my fogs on about an month ago myself.

Old 11-20-2000, 01:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if you dont want to have to have the lights on for the fogs, do the foglight rewire on my page, that way they can be on with parking lights, headlights,and brights.
Old 11-21-2000, 11:00 PM

you sure all gxe's are prewired? i did a little looking tonight and didnt see any extra harnesses behind the bumper.
Old 11-22-2000, 04:46 PM

ok I took off the panel on my dash and there is no harness for the se fog switch. greyboy what yr is your max?
Old 11-22-2000, 06:28 PM

NO......

GXE's are NOT prewired for fogs.

Here is what I know.

From Kaleb(93GXE aka Courtesy Nissan Parts *****) and my expert knowledge You can't fit the "SE" fogs on the GXE. HOWEVER..there is a set of "GXE" fogs which are just as wide but not as tall. The actually look better than the SE's. The fogs cost 69 from Courtesy Nissan. You then have to buy the 12 install kit. That comes with 2 brackets to hold the fogs onto the lower bumper, screws, SE dash switch, instructions. I belive the wiring harnes(includes relay and fuse) comes with the fogs. All I remeber was that it was like 89 Shipped.

The fogs must be wired in. What you see on the fuse box says fogs but its not wired in, thats just where it WOULD be if you had an se.

You have to mount the fogs. Run the wires. Mount the relay on the firewall. From the relay comes off two more wires. One goes to the battery(for power) one goes into the car to the dash switch.

Its much easier just to read the instructions. You can do it.....I did....but it took like a couple of weekends cuz "I'm an idiot"

That is pic of my GXE fogs.

Mike S.

[Edited by Mike S. on 11-22-2000 at 08:32 PM]
Old 11-22-2000, 06:51 PM

ok thanks. looks like courtesy nissan gets 89 more dollars of my money