3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Engine noise noise noise noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 01:56 PM
kmb

Engine noise noise noise noise

I have a '94 SE, has about 100K miles. I had the VTC problem fixed last fall at a Nissan dealer (Perry in Columbia, MO). Total price was about $1200. Still had a ticking... exhaust manifold studs. Dealer said they SHOULD have found them during the VTC fix, so they charged me half the total for that repair.

Now.. for about a week, I've had a new "ticking" sound coming from the engine. It doesn't sound the same as what I remember the VTC sound to be, and it seems to behave differently. Seems to peak at about 2k rpm, almost a 'whirring' tick. It could be going on just as much at higher rpm and I just can't hear it over the engine. I thought the VTC sounded like a fan hitting metal, and this is different from that. Obviously metallic when you listen with the hood up. SEEMS to be coming more from the top of the engine. Or all of this is wishful thinking and my VTCs have failed again. (what is the likelihood of that??)

The past few days, it seems to be happening more at lower rpm, but it doesn't happen all the time. I can accelerate, and somewhere around 1900 rpm it really starts (or it starts being loud enough to hear). But, as I said, it seems to be happening more now at lower rpm. I first heard it after driving for two hours, got out of the car with it running, and heard a dredded tick or knock.

I have an appointment on Wed to take it in to my local, trustworthy shop (not a Nissan dealer). This shop wouldn't fix the VTCs; sent me to the dealer 30 miles away in Columbia instead of the local Nissan dealer (inept mechanics). One of the guys that works at my shop has the same car and he is the one who put me onto the VTC problem and sent me to the dealer out of town (he took his there, too).

Suggestions??? HELP???

Also... we were in a minor accident a couple of months ago. Took out the driver's front quarter panel, hood, headlight, foglight, etc. Supposedly no other damage. Any chance there is a connection??

Old 03-11-2002, 02:15 PM
Large Member

Well, it could possibly be the lifters. I was having a similar problem with a ticking noise. It used to just tick a few times on startup and then quiet down but, recently it became quite noisy and wouldn't quiet down. Lucky for me, my oil was complete crap and I just switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic today. It fixed my problem remarkably. KMB, could you check your dipstick and see what the oil looks like? If everything appears to be fine, and it is the lifters, then the ticking could be a sign that they are going to need to be replaced. I thought I was going to have to replace mine but it turned out that my oil was really bad from the previous oil change and the synthetic helped clear that right up. One question I have for you is, when you accelerate does the ticking increase or happen faster? If so, that really should be the lifters. I'm not an expert but, I'm pretty sure that's what the noise would be.
Old 03-12-2002, 05:22 AM

Is it possible that this is a normal ticking? The fuel injectors make a ticking noise as part of their normal operation....
Old 03-12-2002, 11:19 AM
Large Member

That's true, I forgot about the injectors. Though, I don't think you'd really hear those from inside the car. You hear those more once you get under the hood. Man, I still have to change my injectors!
Old 03-12-2002, 03:59 PM
89'maximaSE

Re: Engine noise noise noise noise

I have an 89' maxima SE with 134,000 mi on it. I am having the exact same problem. It seems to arise only when I drive the car hard. The oil light comes on or flickers and then the knocking starts. It sounds like there is no oil reaching the upper eninge becuse the nocking is coming from under the valve covers. However, this problem comes and goes. My car is like a sick person after a few days of rest it runs fine again. I have plenty of oil in it, and am running Mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic. I too am frustrated and am searhing for an answer.

Old 03-12-2002, 04:39 PM
Large Member

89'maximaSE, I just had the same exact problem. Basically, my oil was crap (not synthetic). Though, I just switched over to Mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic and its like I have a brand new car! I'm not sure what your problem is though since you're already using Mobil 1 synthetic.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:47 PM

89'maximaSE, if your oil light is going on and off with hard driving, you might have a failing oil pump. Under hard acceleration, the pump cannot pressurize the oil enough to get it the top of the engine. Therefore you have knocking. Get it checked out, it's bad for the engine.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:57 PM
89'maximaSE

The oil pump was my first thought also. I have had it in to the mechanic a few times, but it never acts up when it's there. I brought up the idea of the oil pump, but they weren't sure if that was the problem. They basicaly told me that I better hope that's not the problem becuse it would be be an expensive repair(they would have to rip the block apart to reach the oil pump). I'm considering a rebuild or a just buying a whole new rebuilt motor, if things continue to get worse.
I never drive the car once it starts to act up. It's painful to listen to. And I just cringe at the thought of the damage it's causing the engine. I hate to think of how much its going to cost to fix this problem.

Old 03-12-2002, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Brian_TII
Is it possible that this is a normal ticking? The fuel injectors make a ticking noise as part of their normal operation....
You shouldn't be able to hear the injectors with your naked ear. If there is a problem with them they usually just don't tick at all. I would bet on it not being the injectors, but if you're unsure you can do this:
Take a stethescope and stick a straightened coat hanger in the end of it. Place the coat hanger on each of the injectors and listen to the tick. If they are all on time, no matter how load, they are fine. If one or more is not ticking or ticking off time, then the others are trying to make up for the loss and that is bad. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by nismo1989

You shouldn't be able to hear the injectors with your naked ear. If there is a problem with them they usually just don't tick at all. I would bet on it not being the injectors, but if you're unsure you can do this:
Take a stethescope and stick a straightened coat hanger in the end of it. Place the coat hanger on each of the injectors and listen to the tick. If they are all on time, no matter how load, they are fine. If one or more is not ticking or ticking off time, then the others are trying to make up for the loss and that is bad. Good luck.
With the hood up, in most cars you CAN hear the injectors... I just went out side and listened to mine. They aren't really LOUD, but if you know what a fuel injector sounds like you can certianly pick out the sound.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:33 PM
Large Member

I know what you mean Brian. They make this very distinct, quiet "click,click,click,click" noise. I already know some of my injectors aren't working right because some of the clicking is faster than the others. I think I might also try to just go with a rebuilt engine because I'm just having too many problems. Switching to synthetic a couple days ago sure helped out alot though!