3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Sluggish hesitation problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 10:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sluggish hesitation problem

I have two SE's - a 92 w/205k and a 93 w/117k. I'm having the same problem with both of them (maybe it's not a problem - not sure). When cold, the engine accelerates very strong and nimbly through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. When the temperature indicator gets to the normal position (halfway between H & C), and I startup from a complete stop, it feels like I'm driving through sludge - very hard to explain, but definitely not nimble, and actually seems to hesitate as I'm accelerating, to the point that putting the pedal to the floor doesn't get it moving any faster than leaving it where it was. It's
frustrating to say the least. Again - this doesn't happen when it's cold.

Has anyone experienced this problem/phenomenon? Some of the things that I've thought that it could be are - gas/air mixture when cold, thermostat problems, even the catalytic converter being clogged, and acting up when it's hot. I asked a Nissan mechanic at the dealership if he had anyone complain about this problem - he said no.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 03-16-2002, 04:28 PM

Re: Sluggish hesitation problem

Check/replace your normal wear and tear stuff such as spark plugs (only get original NGK plats that were MEANT for the VE engine), fuel filter, air filter, etc.

Then check your ignition timing. Clamp the ignition lead to the wires coming from the coil of the #1 cylinder (rear leftmost). Mine was UNDER the normal 15 degrees, I then advanced it up to 20. The engine screams now. By the way, I had replaced my VTCs with brand new ones and fixed some broken exhaust studs a week before, but I still had the same problem you said. I advanced my ignition timing yesterday, and so far it has fixed it. Try it, it's free! Just don't go past 20 degrees or damage may occur. Take it to any shop if you're unsure, it's a cheap deal.
Old 03-16-2002, 11:12 PM

Tranny?
Old 03-18-2002, 12:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Since this sounds temperature-dependant, what about the coolant temperature sensor located on the block (somewhere)? Most would recommend you try and clean this item or at worst replace it.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:41 PM

similar problem

I am having a similar problem, when going up hills the car is creeping up I punch the gas and it seems as if it's not moving any faster. I was thinking I just need to get the tranny flushed and have all the spark plugs changed. Another problem that I have is there is a ticking noise coming from the engine I have no clue what it is. Any suggestions please reply if you have even a guess as to what it is.
Old 03-20-2002, 09:43 PM

the ticking, if it seems like it is coming from under the valve cover more than likely is you lifters....check your oil and if its full it might be time to have those adjusted.....also, for the temp. thing u might wanna check out your mass air flow sensor...they have a tendency to go bad on our cars
Old 03-21-2002, 07:04 AM

I had a similar problem with a loss of power when warm. I pulled the codes from the ecu and a bad knock sensor kept showing up. Replaced the sensor and now there is no more sluggishness when warm. Failsafe for a bad sensor retards the ignition timing, but this doesn't kick in until the engine comes up to operating temp.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:25 PM

..it could be the 02 sensor going/gone bad .. i has a similiar
problem, checked the diagnostic codes on the ecu verified the 02 was
the cause.. replaced .. like new again..
hope this helps
Old 03-22-2002, 06:45 AM

Yup, buy or borrow a Factory Service Manual (FSM), or ask nicely and somebody might send you the procedure, and check your computer codes. If anything comes up, fix it. If nothing comes up, then

1) check your ignition timing and advance it to about 18-20 degrees. The procedure on checking timing is in the FSM, and the advancement procedure can be found on Craig B's homepage (search)

2) Check your coolant temperature sensor. It's right by your throttle body and has a red plug. Unclip the metal clip and poull the plug to check for corrosion. It will probably have some, in which case you can either clean it, or buy a new sensor and plug, then cut the old plug off and splice the new one in. That's what I did for about $50.