3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

do power inverters draw power if you have nothing plugged in to them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 05:53 PM

do power inverters draw power if you have nothing plugged in to them?

if i wire my power interver to a 12v constant, will it draw power if there is no appliance running off the inverter?

thanks
Old 03-17-2002, 08:19 PM

hey..

I have a 450watt inverter in my car for the PS2 and a vcr, on my inverter there is an on and off switch. The inverter i have has a built in cooling fan, once the switch is on, the fan runs constantly, so i need to shut it off, or the fan will run forever, other than the fan i doubt it pulls anymore power, because nothing is there to use the power.
That new pontiac vibe i think it is has a built in power inverter..they were making smoothies with a blender in it..wacky..wacky..
Old 03-18-2002, 05:13 AM

It does, but it's very negligable, in the area of millionths of an Amp of current... No draw at all... Unless something shorts out, but then you'd notice a crackling sound and lots of heat, plastic melting, people running around screaming with their hair in flames, that sorta thing
You should be alright.
And if you have it plugged into the cigarette adaptor, or tapped into it, I believe the power to it shuts off when the car is off... Not 100% sure, because I don't have a car charger for my cell, but I am about 95% certain this is the case
Old 03-19-2002, 01:04 AM

agreed... no current draw. but since the playstation has an internal AC to DC power adaptor anyway, couldn't you take it apart, remove the power supply, and then build one that gives it the proper voltage? maybe i'm just building a complicated mess in my head, but that's what loving your car does to you. i've got $3000 in mods in mind, and i'll only make $5000 this summer...anyone wanna hire me ?
Old 03-19-2002, 04:33 PM

you are correct, the cig lighter only draws power when the car is on. and i'd have to say that no, it won'r draw any power unless like someone mentioned there is a fan or LED or something, but that would be very small.

Originally posted by Taegost
It does, but it's very negligable, in the area of millionths of an Amp of current... No draw at all... Unless something shorts out, but then you'd notice a crackling sound and lots of heat, plastic melting, people running around screaming with their hair in flames, that sorta thing
You should be alright.
And if you have it plugged into the cigarette adaptor, or tapped into it, I believe the power to it shuts off when the car is off... Not 100% sure, because I don't have a car charger for my cell, but I am about 95% certain this is the case