3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

No Sound on Bose

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 06:25 PM
93gxe

My 93 Maxima recenetly went silent. Over the past few months I have had load pops from my speakers and the sound ouput from either the radio, CD, or tape would come and go. Very recently I lost all sound for good, I thought. I checked fuses, and connections, and pulled the head unit to check connections. All looked good. Today after a cold morning and 20 minutes of driving I got sould back again. IWhen I got back i n the car the 1 hour later I had no sound again. Can anybody help here. I first need to find out what is wrong, the head, the amps, the speakers????? all the components seem to work, CD spins/tracks, tape spins, radio can change station, but I get no sound from anywhere.

Old 11-21-2000, 06:28 PM
89GXE

Bose

Is it a bose system?

Old 11-21-2000, 06:29 PM
89GXE

I must be your hero seeing that your sorta copied my
name

Old 11-21-2000, 06:35 PM
93gxe

Yes,
It's the factory Bose CD/Tape/Stereo with the factory Bose speakers.

Old 11-21-2000, 06:42 PM
David-94GXE

Same problem over the last two weeks on my 94GXE with 104K. Everything else is great. My stereo system finally went dead and I'm going to send it in for replacement. Cost is $110 +shipping. ($125 with UPS shipping).

I have a question though... Since I'm doing it myself, I need to get it out! How do I get the factory CD/stereo system out of the dash? Pry it out and pull?

Old 11-21-2000, 06:43 PM
89GXE

Yuck!

Oh man I'm sorry about that! The factory Bose systems
SUCK! They go through speaker amps like Howard Schnelen-
berger goes through Jack Daniels ( any avid #1 ranked OU
fan knows what I'm talking about). There is an amp
on each individual speaker. I am going to replace mine
as soon as I can and I suggest you do to.

Old 11-21-2000, 06:43 PM
MSK

RE Bose

It is most likely your head unit. Poping noises that you heard earlier were the speaker amps (atleast that is what my radio guy told me). As you probably know each of the four speakers carry their own amps. Your radio is made by Clarion but your speakers are Bose. Bose has its own unique design. There is no cheap fix. If you want to keep your radio then you have to take it to a stereo repair shop. Clarions saudering was done very poorly and lasts only about 7 to 10 years. All that is wrong is loose connections which generate excessive heat causing the system to shut down (according to my stereo guy) I paid about 85 + tax to repair the certain circuts. Speakers also went bad on mine first RF and then the back ones. I found a shop on the internet and they fix/repair all my amps for $60 to $65 a piece. They have a deal if you send all four speakers for repair. Good Luck

MSK 90SE

Old 11-21-2000, 07:31 PM
93gxe

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the head unit, as I had suspected. I called some junk yards and the best they could do is order one for $350. Ouch!!! I guess I'll look into the repair shops. Any chance the shop MSK went to is in New Jersey??

As for removing the unit it's not too bad, David-94GXE. There are some screws with interior color caps on them holding the console in( be careful not to break the screw covers). The console from just above the radio to just before the emergency brake ( on my automatic). There is also 1 or 2 screws behind the ash tray. You will have to disconnect the Hazard button and there was a rubber hose on mine (automatic climate control stuff, I think.
After you get that off, there are 4 screws holding the radio in. try to get a magnetized screw driver so you don't drop these screws. The Head unit should slide out now with just the antenna, power and speaker wires attached.

Good Luck.

Old 11-21-2000, 09:30 PM
MSK

RE: Bose Radio

The shop i got my speakers fixed is in Setauket NY. I took all four amps out and shipped it to them. The fixed it in about a week and returned them to me with 6-month warrenty. The radio: I got it fixed locally. I live in Kansas and there is a shop that speciliazed in home and car stereos. However, the NY guys claim they speciliaze in Bose car products and when I talked to them they knew what I was talking about. Here is their web address:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...r/homepage.htm

MSK 90SE

Old 11-21-2000, 09:44 PM

i have a factory bose head unit in perfect condition for sale make an offer email me
Old 11-23-2000, 05:18 PM

Bose System

HA ha ah... i'm laughing because those Bose systems suck. i bought my 93 max and the head unit blew 2 days later. what you need to do is go to best buy car audio and say you need an adapter that will allow you to put in an aftermarket cd player. tell them you have the factory amps and bose system. the part installs on the speaker wire between the NEW head unit (don't get another factory clarion) and the amp wires. it cuts the voltage from what ever your deck outputs (45x4 on mine) to something the amps can handle. part should cost $40 or less. it also has two sets of pre-outs (BONUS!!) so you've spent $130 on a new head unit and $40 on the adapter. later on, if you have problems, replace the speakers and remove the adaptor and amps. you'll be very happy then.
Gavin