3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Replacing Fuel Lines - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 05:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replacing Fuel Lines - Advice?

My 91' Maxima has the good old fuel smell to it, which it sounds like leaky fuel lines according to this fine forum. I've done basic things like replacing brakes and changing the oil, do you think I would be able to replace the fuel lines myself?

I can kinda of tell which ones are the fuel lines, but I would like a confirmation on about how many there are or their locations so I know I am getting all of them. I understand that there are a couple tricky ones on the VG motor...
Old 03-28-2002, 07:17 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Replacing Fuel Lines - Advice?

Originally posted by MadDog2020
My 91' Maxima has the good old fuel smell to it, which it sounds like leaky fuel lines according to this fine forum. I've done basic things like replacing brakes and changing the oil, do you think I would be able to replace the fuel lines myself?

I can kinda of tell which ones are the fuel lines, but I would like a confirmation on about how many there are or their locations so I know I am getting all of them. I understand that there are a couple tricky ones on the VG motor...
make sure to get "fuel injection fuel line"..very important. 5/16 is the size.
get new clamps.
replace the ones going to the filter from the tank.
replace the line going from the filter to the engine.
replace the line going from the fuel rail returning to the tank.

if you still smell the gas then replace the one that connects the two banks of the injector...towards the pass side.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Where is the odor coming from-the front or the rear. I had the same problems. I had a big crack on the hose by the gas tank. I replace it with a fuel injection hose and it works fine. Don't go to the dealer for the hose unless u have money to give away. Go to an auto parts store. Its 4x less.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:53 AM

about the clamps!

i would use the stock ones (if they're the same as mine were) rather than the cheap autozone ones. the ones that were on the car clamped much firmer than the new ones. . . .
Old 03-28-2002, 09:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks a ton for your help! This forum is way better than other automobile forums I have come across.

I got to looking into it tonight and noticed that I have a gas leak underneath the car by the gas tank. I'm sure this is the source of the smell, but will eventually replace the other lines as well. This leak is on a metal hose that is U-Shaped by the cross member. I think I might have a dealer fix that leak, since it could actually be coming from somewhere else. Plus, I don't think I want to mess with having to take the tank out if need be.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:52 PM

how about the gas filter

you can try that as well.. my was rusted and it was leaking so taht was my problem
Old 03-28-2002, 10:14 PM

I had to replace the one under the intake that connects the fuel rails, as DanNY said,it's tricky to get at, but can be done, its so out of the way it does'nt get changed on any routine maintenance