3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

A/C Belt Squealing ...a ? for UDP owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 07:15 AM
To them I'm like an idol

A/C Belt Squealing ...a ? for UDP owners

Okay,

When I first put the belt on it works fine, I turn on the A/C, and everything is okay, but then after a few hundred miles the belt start to squeal when I turn the AC on. I tightened it as much as I could, I even sheared off the adjustment bolt once, and bent it another time. No luck.

I think maybe that the new belt called out for the Unorthodox Racing Under Drive Pulley is not the right one. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 04-03-2002, 08:40 PM

Re: A/C Belt Squealing ...a ? for UDP owners

Originally posted by blackandwhite
Okay,

When I first put the belt on it works fine, I turn on the A/C, and everything is okay, but then after a few hundred miles the belt start to squeal when I turn the AC on. I tightened it as much as I could, I even sheared off the adjustment bolt once, and bent it another time. No luck.

I think maybe that the new belt called out for the Unorthodox Racing Under Drive Pulley is not the right one. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
im sure its right, mine never squealed yet.. try replacing the bolt and stud, sounds like u stripped it or something, if all else fails buy another belt and try that, but try tighting it more
Old 04-03-2002, 09:15 PM
STFU n00b!

you need to check the tension on the belt before you try tightening it any more.. If you overtighten the belts, it will put strain on the compressor bearings, tensioner pulley bearings, and etc. main bearings in the engine aren't much worry, as the crankshaft has tons more problems to worry about than a belt..

but the point is, you can ruin the bearings on all those parts if you overtighten belts. I've seen other cars snap the shafts in their water pumps every 2 months because of overtightening the belts..

the belt you've got may be glazed or dirty also, which could be causing it to slip. check it out and see if it needs replacing.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Matt93SE
you need to check the tension on the belt before you try tightening it any more.. If you overtighten the belts, it will put strain on the compressor bearings, tensioner pulley bearings, and etc. main bearings in the engine aren't much worry, as the crankshaft has tons more problems to worry about than a belt..

but the point is, you can ruin the bearings on all those parts if you overtighten belts. I've seen other cars snap the shafts in their water pumps every 2 months because of overtightening the belts..

the belt you've got may be glazed or dirty also, which could be causing it to slip. check it out and see if it needs replacing.
u probably overtighten the belt that u stripe the adjustment bolt. Replace it and did u check to length of the new belt to the old one? Auto parts store sells belt dressing spray to stop the noise. Maybe the noise is not the belt, but your compressor bearing!
Old 04-04-2002, 12:52 PM
STFU n00b!

do I hear an echo?
Old 04-04-2002, 01:21 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Check it?

Originally posted by phat

u probably overtighten the belt that u stripe the adjustment bolt. Replace it and did u check to length of the new belt to the old one? Auto parts store sells belt dressing spray to stop the noise. Maybe the noise is not the belt, but your compressor bearing!
I can't check the length to the old one. Because I needed a new size for the UDP.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:26 PM
STFU n00b!

Re: Check it?

Originally posted by blackandwhite

I can't check the length to the old one. Because I needed a new size for the UDP.
the one for the udp is just slightly smaller than the stock.. if you lay the stock one flat on a table, the UDP belt should just barely fit inside the stock one..

but anyway, simply check the tension on the belt.. if it's too loose with the tensioner set all the way down, then go to the parts store and buy the next size smaller belt. they'll have a chart that lists the sizes and part #s on it. it will only have to be 1-2 cm shorter than the previous one to work.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Matt93SE
do I hear an echo?
Yo Matt, give me so credit.