3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Is the dealer trying to rape me???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 03:14 PM
91maximaSE

Is the dealer trying to rape me???

So I went in to the dealer to ask about my tranny and speedometer problems. They wanted $90 to give me an estimate on fixing her up. Is this fair, or did I just get used to fair business practice while I lived in small town Iowa?

Thanks a lot

Joe

Old 04-03-2002, 03:56 PM

Re: Is the dealer trying to rape me???

Originally posted by 91maximaSE
So I went in to the dealer to ask about my tranny and speedometer problems. They wanted $90 to give me an estimate on fixing her up. Is this fair, or did I just get used to fair business practice while I lived in small town Iowa?

Thanks a lot

Joe
humm.. thats expencive, i mean your tranny is serious **** .. but i can go with out a speed-o
Old 04-03-2002, 04:42 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Is the dealer trying to rape me???

eh....sounds like the usual to dealer $$$ to me!

goto Aamco, pay them $50 for the external exam and test drive and they should be able to give you a diagnosis on the tranny. as for the speedo not working, I bet your speed sensor is bad, or the clamp broke on the connector(under the hood)it came a losse and needs to be taped up...either way replacing the speed sensor or the repairing the connector takes about 5 minutes!

also you can run the tranny electrical diagnostic yourslef which will show if there is an electrcal malfunction in your tranny and also you can run the the ECU diagnostic yourself which will show if the speed sensor is bad. if you need directions on how to do those diagnostics, drop me an email a little later tonight!

Originally posted by 91maximaSE

Thanks a lot

Joe
Old 04-03-2002, 06:45 PM

Re: Re: Is the dealer trying to rape me???

Originally posted by DA-MAX
eh....sounds like the usual to dealer $$$ to me!

goto Aamco, pay them $50 for the external exam and test drive and they should be able to give you a diagnosis on the tranny. as for the speedo not working, I bet your speed sensor is bad, or the clamp broke on the connector(under the hood)it came a losse and needs to be taped up...either way replacing the speed sensor or the repairing the connector takes about 5 minutes!

also you can run the tranny electrical diagnostic yourslef which will show if there is an electrcal malfunction in your tranny and also you can run the the ECU diagnostic yourself which will show if the speed sensor is bad. if you need directions on how to do those diagnostics, drop me an email a little later tonight!

how you do that.? dont you need a tester of somesort, computer?
Old 04-03-2002, 07:11 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Is the dealer trying to rape me???

Originally posted by crazy4maxima
how you do that.? dont you need a tester of somesort, computer?
I don't think its as "in depth" as Nissan's Consult tool that they use at the dealer, but it gives you a general idea of any malfunctions of a component linked to the ECU. not too sure how Consult works or how much more in depth it is, but for common probs I think the self diagnostic does the job!

the directions are kinda cumbersome, but it tells you how to do it in the Haynes manual.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the dealer trying to rape me???

Originally posted by DA-MAX

I don't think its as "in depth" as Nissan's Consult tool that they use at the dealer, but it gives you a general idea of any malfunctions of a component linked to the ECU. not too sure how Consult works or how much more in depth it is, but for common probs I think the self diagnostic does the job!

the directions are kinda cumbersome, but it tells you how to do it in the Haynes manual.
what page.. i have the hynes book for vg 89-94
Old 04-03-2002, 08:07 PM
Ford Only.

That is about right, just make sure they use lube. Not on the car either...
Old 04-03-2002, 08:12 PM

make certain you leave in good terms and with a smile,..

Originally posted by dmontzmax
That is about right, just make sure they use lube. Not on the car either...
Dealer ships make mula on repairs on cars, rather than sales... think about it..
Old 04-03-2002, 08:38 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the dealer trying to rape me???

Originally posted by crazy4maxima
what page.. i have the hynes book for vg 89-94
I think its p.153(or p.158) in Chapter 4.