3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Body kit installation...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 12:40 AM

Body kit installation...

Okay I did a SEARCH and came up with a few times where people had asked how much $$ to install a kit but I'm the DIY type...
I am putting on a WW front and Stillen sides and rear. I want to start with the WW front cause I've never put on a kit before. What do I need and does anyone have any tips on how to do it. No matter what you say, I'm doing it myself so don't post if you're gonna tell me to take it to a shop please, thank you.
The front should be at my door today so I'm gonna get started prepping and painting right away so I can get busy on the install this weekend. Any help would be great. Thanks...

Geoff
Old 04-04-2002, 01:31 AM

Re: Body kit installation...

Originally posted by nismo1989
Okay I did a SEARCH and came up with a few times where people had asked how much $$ to install a kit but I'm the DIY type...
I am putting on a WW front and Stillen sides and rear. I want to start with the WW front cause I've never put on a kit before. What do I need and does anyone have any tips on how to do it. No matter what you say, I'm doing it myself so don't post if you're gonna tell me to take it to a shop please, thank you.
The front should be at my door today so I'm gonna get started prepping and painting right away so I can get busy on the install this weekend. Any help would be great. Thanks...

Geoff
what are you going to paint it with?
Old 04-04-2002, 01:51 AM

Re: Re: Body kit installation...

Originally posted by mykizism

what are you going to paint it with?
Paint.
What else would I paint it with??
I have a compressor and sprayer and I know what I'm doing as far as that is concerned. I've already painted my whole car...
Old 04-04-2002, 02:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: Body kit installation...

Paint.
What else would I paint it with??
I have a compressor and sprayer and I know what I'm doing as far as that is concerned. I've already painted my whole car...

how much for you to paint my car? i think black would go nice instead of metallic blue, or maybe just to paint my black plastic parts metallic blue.
Old 04-04-2002, 02:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Body kit installation...

Originally posted by The Sleeper

how much for you to paint my car? i think black would go nice instead of metallic blue, or maybe just to paint my black plastic parts metallic blue.
Well, Green Bay is kinda far from Indy!! Also, I wouldn't feel as comfortable with black as I did with white becase it shows every little blemish...
Painting a car is pretty labor intensive and for the price someone like myself would have to charge you might as well have a professional in a shop do it in half the time and give you guaranteed work .
Old 04-04-2002, 03:00 AM

Re: Body kit installation...

...What do I need and does anyone have any tips on how to do it. Any help would be great. Thanks...

Geoff

Old 04-04-2002, 05:58 AM

DO NOT use double sided tape or 3m adhesive <SP?> use urithan addhisive and get flexible primer. this stuff is the strongest stuff yet. i forget how to spell. good luck.

Patrick
Old 04-04-2002, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by whitymax
DO NOT use double sided tape or 3m adhesive <SP?> use urithan addhisive and get flexible primer. this stuff is the strongest stuff yet. i forget how to spell. good luck.

Patrick
So that's it? It just sticks on with tape?? I think the WW is fiberglass, not urethane... does that make a difference? Thanks, Patrick, for your help.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:10 AM

So that's it? It just sticks on with tape?? I think the WW is fiberglass, not urethane... does that make a difference? Thanks, Patrick, for your help.
every body i talked to said that they use srews to hold it up. the double sided tape stuff isnt too good in the weather.
Old 04-04-2002, 02:33 PM

do some research online and read up on what u need to do to prep fiber glass and urethane.

how many gallons is ur air compressor, what what cfm do you use it at when u paint your whole car?
Old 04-04-2002, 02:40 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I used bolts and the 3M tape when I put mu Stillen lip on.....I think the reason you're not getting many responses is that majority of the guys on here(including myself) got "pro" installs.
Old 04-04-2002, 03:45 PM

TAPE?!??!?!? Forget that, I'd get it installed by a ::remembers:: nevermind.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:03 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by JoJo428m
TAPE?!??!?!?
Stillen includes he tape with the front lip...its not required but you can't see it after the installl either.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:59 PM

How much do ya think it'd cost for it to be intalled by a prof.?
Old 04-04-2002, 06:56 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by JoJo428m
How much do ya think it'd cost for it to be intalled by a prof.?
depends...for my Stillen front lip, back in '00 it cost me $120 for paint($100) and install($20 from freind at BMW body shop). other places wanted $150 for paint and $150 for install and others wanted $250 alone for install...so it varies! I got lucky I guess!
Old 04-04-2002, 08:28 PM

Install

Is installing a body kit really THAT laborious of a job?
Old 04-04-2002, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

depends...for my Stillen front lip, back in '00 it cost me $120 for paint($100) and install($20 from freind at BMW body shop). other places wanted $150 for paint and $150 for install and others wanted $250 alone for install...so it varies! I got lucky I guess!
Yeah, I've kinda heard the same thing...

Most of the places around here that are known for doing that sort of thing won't even do it unless it came from thier shop or they ordered it for you. They wanted $900+ shipping for the WW kit, $500 just for the front end. I told them no way.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:50 AM

I don't know about the Stillen pieces, cause they haven't come yet, but I got my WW front, and it came with no instructions. Just a bag of screws. What's worse, I can't get the thing to sit flush with the contours of the car! It's fiberglass, so should I be trying to heat it up or something? Man, I really don't want to pay some outrageous price to get this thing put on. I thought I could make it a DIY job, and I almost got away with it, but now I don't know. The screws don't seem to be long enough to go through and into the body, and I'm really not even sure on where to drill them in to. If anyone has the WW kit and can help me out please throw me a freakin bone!!! I can't bring myself to pay some rice shop to do this for me...
Old 04-10-2002, 01:12 AM

I don't know about the Stillen pieces, cause they haven't come yet, but I got my WW front, and it came with no instructions. Just a bag of screws. What's worse, I can't get the thing to sit flush with the contours of the car! It's fiberglass, so should I be trying to heat it up or something? Man, I really don't want to pay some outrageous price to get this thing put on. I thought I could make it a DIY job, and I almost got away with it, but now I don't know. The screws don't seem to be long enough to go through and into the body, and I'm really not even sure on where to drill them in to. If anyone has the WW kit and can help me out please throw me a freakin bone!!! I can't bring myself to pay some rice shop to do this for me...
i thought i told you to search the web, on how to prep fiber glass and urethane?

fiber glass body kits never come to you door step ready to fit.. it takes a lot of prepping/cutting/shaving for them to remotely fit right...

but like u said u have an air compressor and stuff.. use it to make it fit right..

ps.. you dont want to heat up fiberglass
Old 04-10-2002, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by mykizism

i thought i told you to search the web, on how to prep fiber glass and urethane?

fiber glass body kits never come to you door step ready to fit.. it takes a lot of prepping/cutting/shaving for them to remotely fit right...

but like u said u have an air compressor and stuff.. use it to make it fit right..

ps.. you dont want to heat up fiberglass
Wings West said it would be ready to fit when I got it.
I don't see why it should have to be shaved to fit the car when it's a custom piece, but I guess I'll look into that. As far as using the air compressor to make it fit, I am confused on how you think I could do that. I just used it to paint and stuff... ???
Oh, and what's the problem with heating fiberglass? Will it melt? I thought that it was treated to not do that. I don't want to melt my kit!!! Thanks...