3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

how do i test my fuel pres. regulator

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 08:49 AM

how do i test my fuel pres. regulator

yea.. still having problems..... how do i test fuel pressure? im thing about getting a new O2 sensor..... if i get a Y pipe do will old sensors bolt up to it?
Old 04-08-2002, 09:07 AM

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer
yea.. still having problems..... how do i test fuel pressure? im thinking about getting a new O2 sensor..... if i get a Y pipe do will old sensors bolt up to it?
my problems: running VERY VERY RICH, loss of power
a shot of black smoke every 5-10 min.(dumping fuel) fuel smell

replaced every vacum line i could find, changed the temp. sensor, did a tune-up ... paid the dealer 100 bucks so they can tell me that it IS dumping fuel, but we dont know Y .. tests show no codes...... WTF my car is slow i hate this sh*t soooo much.

how much are O2 sensors?? some one told me they were expencive! DAMN.....

-----IM A MAD MAN!!!!------

Old 04-08-2002, 10:03 AM

O2 sensor

does any one know anything about this car? LOL
one more thing.. were can i disconnect the O2 sensor... i was reading the haynes book in pep boys and it said if you are having problems and you think it could be the O2.. disconect it... and if it runs better, replace the sensor

plz help

1)fuel pressure regulator- how can i test it?
2)O2 sensor-- will it fit in a WSP y pipe?--how do i shut it off?

thats were i think my problem is... if you have any ideas
Old 04-08-2002, 10:15 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: O2 sensor

1)fuel pressure regulator- how can i test it?
2)O2 sensor-- will it fit in a WSP y pipe?--how do i shut it off?

thats were i think my problem is... if you have any ideas
why didn't u BUY the manual? how much did the dealer charge u? a lot more than the manual i bet.

the O2 harness is attached to the rear engine mount/bracket...pass side of the mount. the O2 will fit in the pipes that are made for your car.

for fuel psi..u need a gauge and adapter that runs inline of the fuel line to determine if you're getting the correct psi...pick up the manual and i believe it shows u how to test it.

i can only help those who help themselves. we can't provide you with all the answers..you have to investigate some of it yourself.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:18 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: O2 sensor

Nissan FSM. Get it, love it, read it, hug it, etc....

Got FSM?

Originally posted by DanNY

why didn't u BUY the manual? how much did the dealer charge u? a lot more than the manual i bet.

the O2 harness is attached to the rear engine mount/bracket...pass side of the mount. the O2 will fit in the pipes that are made for your car.

for fuel psi..u need a gauge and adapter that runs inline of the fuel line to determine if you're getting the correct psi...pick up the manual and i believe it shows u how to test it.

i can only help those who help themselves. we can't provide you with all the answers..you have to investigate some of it yourself.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:27 AM

Re: Re: O2 sensor

I know .. iknow.. i thought i would bring my car to the dealer and they would fix her up good as new.... spent 140 for the tests and a new temp. sensor.... still broken..the haynes manual was 15.99 ... i could of sworn that someone said it was 12.99 thats y i did not buy it then.. i have to save every cent these days.

the O2 plug.. is it next to the sensor itself or is it like under the firewall sorta?
Old 04-08-2002, 10:49 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Re: O2 sensor

I know .. iknow.. i thought i would bring my car to the dealer and they would fix her up good as new.... spent 140 for the tests and a new temp. sensor.... still broken..the haynes manual was 15.99 ... i could of sworn that someone said it was 12.99 thats y i did not buy it then.. i have to save every cent these days.

the O2 plug.. is it next to the sensor itself or is it like under the firewall sorta?
stop asking where it is exactly and stick your head under the car. if you never been under there you won't have a clue what i'm talking about. it's clipped on to the rear engine mount. find the rear engine mount..then look around it..it's there. 3 wires to a plug.

penny wise, dollar foolish.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:04 AM
STFU n00b!

You can afford to take it to a DEALER for $100 daignostic fee, yet you can't afford $15 for a service manual?

Eat one less cheeseburger in a week and you'll have a manual paid for in under a month, and that's not even getting into how much money you'll save over sending it to a shop every time you hear a weird noise.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:56 PM

Fuel press reg.

one easy thing to do for the fuel press reg. is to disconnect the vacuum hose running to it while the engine is running and warm. This will make the regualtor run at full press and your idle should increase substantially.
I think mine is gone, recently I did a couple stupid things to it: 1)hooked a vacuum pump and drew a relatively high vacuum on it. 2)sent some pressure from the compressor to it (not alot though, but probably too much). Either way I could have messed up the diaphram inside or maybe the spring came out of position. Its too bad these things are not serviceable. I rememmber in the FSM that I said the regualtor could be repaired, but I dont see how this is possible. The damn thing is expensive, I would consider an aftermarket regulator but I'm too lazy to modify the fuel rail if necessary.
Anyway I plan to first hook up the pressure gauge to see if its ok or not.
Old 04-08-2002, 04:18 PM

If you read my postS you can see y

ahhh.... i looked in the manual 100's of times. I had this problem for 3 long weeks now.. this is not a little b*tch problem.. my car is running like sh*t. im turning to the MAX org because thats Y its here. i have been posting this problem for a long time .. yea so .. i need help.

i have spent A sh*t load of money trying to fix my car (i dont have a job). the problem was sooo bad at first that i had no choice but to take it.. after I did a full tune up, replaced a lot of vacum lines and put in a new temp sensor.. the problem cameback... im just narowing down what it could be and im asking for advice!!

danny- are you for real!! come on... i did not know were it was so i asked OMFG!!! you have to chill if i knew were it was i would not have said anything
Old 04-08-2002, 08:23 PM
STFU n00b!

Re: If you read my postS you can see y

danny- are you for real!! come on... i did not know were it was so i asked OMFG!!! you have to chill if i knew were it was i would not have said anything

Dan told you where it was in the first response.. then you asked "exactly" where it was again... if you'd simply stick your head under the car and find the sensor, it's not hard to trace the wire back a foot and a half to the connector. it only takes 20 minutes to get under there and change it. half of that is jacking the car up so that you cna get to it.