3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

200hp??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 11:03 PM

200hp??

take a look at this. its a "highly-modded" 91 se vg, and he claims 200hp? hmm...
Old 04-08-2002, 11:25 PM

Whatever the HP claims are, it sounds like a pretty decent car though 200HP is probably unlikely (but so what?). If I would worry, it's that the previous owner before this guy was probably a little rough on the car what with all those mods, he/she undoubtedly drove it hard at least some times.

But then again, maybe not. And the engines can handle such use anyway. Besides, the miles are low. If I could get it past the wife, I'd get it. It's not a VE, but it's a 5-speed 3rd gen maxima. I'd get it if you are in the market.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hmm, sounds like another case of "ricer math" to get those 200HP..... Otherwise sounds like a nice car though, and pre-modded too.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:49 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Sounds Like my car

Well I've got most of the exact same stuff he does. With execption of the flywheel and clutch. (Which I'd love to get....shamless plug) ) But I've got a Y-Pipe, UDP, and CAI, and I know I ain't gettin 200HP, nor did I spend close to $9000.
Old 04-09-2002, 07:17 AM

I was lookin at the the other day. at first I was thinkin it'd be nice to have a car that came mod'd. Then I realized, what would be the fun in that? Wouldnt get to do any of the work yourself and learn from what you're doing.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:59 AM

That's hillarious, cause I'm actually taking that car to get inspected tomorrow to make sure there's no real problems with it. After that, its off to the title place to spend $5000 on it and its mine.

Is it 200hp? Probably not. Its probably 190, but not 200.

I'm sure there was $9000 spent on this car. The guy is a CEO of an internet company, has a Durango, a HIGHLY modded 90 Z twin turbo (says he's spent 40k on it so far... I believe him), and two bikes that are at least worth 10k a piece. This dude is rich out the butt. There are two little problems I found with the car: 1. There's something up with the door. It rattles a little bit when driving. He said that should have been fixed by his mechanic and he'll be able to fix it for free since it should have already been fixed. 2. When slowing down, there's a wuh wuh wuh sound from the back. My friend thought it was possibly the brakes. the seller said it had that problem before and the mechanic was supposed to fix it. Again, I get it done for free if I get it.

The car is really amazing. My friend and I were driving it real hard around tight turns (i'm up in the VA mountains) and it never felt like we were going to fish tail or anything of the sort. And it get's pretty darn high in speed in first and second. It looks like (unless I want to race) that I'll rarely use 4th and will almost never touch fifth.

Well anyway, if everything goes well with the mechanic checking it out, I should have this puppy by next week and I'll post more pics. Those pics are a bit outdated.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:01 PM

Oh yea, the speakers ARE NOT 300W speakers. they're infinty references. they get at most a 200W peak I think. So yea, he likes to fib a bit.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:42 PM
To them I'm like an idol

I'd love to get $5000 for mine!!!!

It doesn't matter how much money he has. I'm telling you that I have in value, about the same mods as him. And I bet that if I included repairs I had to myself, and a labor rate for the mods I put on myself, I still couldn't get close to $9000. Not to say that it is not a good deal, (personally I'd buy a VE if I was going to spend $5,000).

I know that I have more performance mods than him. I believe that the flywheel difference can be compensated for by my Y-pipe and UDP .

Well,

Modifications:

Stillen Super High Flow Air Intake
I have A Place Racing Cold Air Intake $200

Greddy Sport Cat-Back Exhaust
I have this about $500 can be more or less

Random Technology Super High Flow Catalytic Convertor
I have the Carsound from Warpspeed - $100

Stillen Lightened Aluminum Flywheel Centerforce
I don't have this it's about $550

Stage 2 clutch
I don't have this it's about $500 it's overkill though for that car

Stillen Short Throw Shifter
I do have this, but haven't put it on yet about $60

Tokico Performance Shocks
I have these $300

Eibach Lowering Springs
I have these $225

Stillen Front Strut Tower Brace
I have the Courtesy one $80

Fornt and Rear sway bars
These are stock. I have not heard of a aftermarket performance sway bar for the front (or I'd have it). But I have a beefed-up rear one from ADDCO - $125

Custom Euro Style Front Blinkers
Clear turn signals....Well I've got clear corner lights $25

Custom blue interior lighting
Hmmm...nice and ricey uhh how about -$100 (to have it removed)

ViTech ignition wires
You mean those pretty red ones that don't really do anything, oh wait, I have those too and it's Vitek actually. $110

Zenon Driving lights
I have these too $80 for the whole car.

WHat I have that he doesn't(only listing the "go" stuff, not the "show" stuff):

Unortodox Racing Underdrive Pulley - $200
Cattman Y-pipe - $400
About 55,000 more miles, however, I had new cylinder heads (20,000 ago) and that bought me back to near new factory compression. And a tranny rebuild 45,000 ago.

With all that said, it is still a great car, but a lot of the affordable modding has already been done, and I still don't think that it will get close to 200HP. In fact, if I went out and got the clutch and flywheel, I still think I'd fall short of that range with the extra mods that I have.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

jeez, even the turbo vg barely yields over 200 hp (at stock psi of course)
Old 04-09-2002, 02:14 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally posted by LikwidVT
Is it 200hp? Probably not. Its probably 190, but not 200.

I'm sure there was $9000 spent on this car.
Heh, dude, not to burst your bubble....there's no way that things pushing anywhere close to 190hp. That thing is barely modded. Even with ricer math how does one get anything over about 175 CRANK hp?

Only true performance mods on that car are:

Pop-charger - 2 hp

GReddy - maybe 10 hp

High-flow Cat - nada

FlyWheel - free up some hp there

Even after this you've got max 175 or so CRANK hp. That thing would be lucky to dyno at 150 hp. I saw a stock VG dyno a while back....136 hp at the wheels. I've got a VE and I'm pretty heavily modded and I'm still no where close 200 hp...

Car has low miles, which is good. I guarantee you there was nowhere near 9 grand spent on that either. So if you can get it for a good price go for it if you're looking for a VG. Although for 5 grand you can get a decent VE 5spd and start out with considerably more hp than that 'highly' modded VG.
Old 04-09-2002, 04:51 PM

*cough* BS *cough*

it isnt even close to 160 to the wheels.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:07 PM

Hmmm Wagz hitting up Ebay. His TTZ is siiiiiiick!
Old 04-09-2002, 07:02 PM

Re: I'd love to get $5000 for mine!!!!

Originally posted by blackandwhite
Fornt and Rear sway bars
These are stock. I have not heard of a aftermarket performance sway bar for the front (or I'd have it). But I have a beefed-up rear one from ADDCO - $125
Actually ST sells a front/rear set for our cars. 1.25" solid (over the stock hollow) front sway, 3/4" rear sway. It's actually kinda funny you've got the Addco and not the ST set because it's a LOT easier to find/get the ST set... does this mean you'll be getting the front now too?
Old 04-09-2002, 07:06 PM

is ST stillen? thanks.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by mtcookson
is ST stillen? thanks.
Suspension Techniques
Jeff: I think 200(flywheel) might be possible on a VE with your mods
Old 04-09-2002, 08:19 PM

is ST stillen? thanks.
No, its not stillen, its suspension techniques.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:40 PM

what's the link to their site (if they have one) i can't find it if they do.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:06 AM

Hmm...

I pulled 180hp and 190 tq. on the dyno, and thats with ALL the bolt ons available for this car.

Oh yeah, and Im a VE too....
Old 04-10-2002, 12:17 AM

Re: Hmm...

Originally posted by JonnyMax
I pulled 180hp and 190 tq. on the dyno, and thats with ALL the bolt ons available for this car.

Oh yeah, and Im a VE too....

what does that have anything to do with the topic?
Old 04-10-2002, 12:42 AM

what's the link to their site (if they have one) i can't find it if they do.
They don't have one for now ("Coming Soon"). Go to their parent company page www.belltechcorp.com and download the application guide if you want, but it doesn't say much. They're 1-1/4" front solid, 3/4" rear, black, and better than stock. What else would you like to know?
Old 04-10-2002, 06:23 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Re: Re: I'd love to get $5000 for mine!!!!

Originally posted by Bman
Actually ST sells a front/rear set for our cars. 1.25" solid (over the stock hollow) front sway, 3/4" rear sway. It's actually kinda funny you've got the Addco and not the ST set because it's a LOT easier to find/get the ST set... does this mean you'll be getting the front now too?
Yeah, Might as well, I'm running out of cheap mods, But I don't know if it will fit because I've got that Cattman universal VG/VE y-pipe, (the one that doesn't really fit either car), and it rubs the stock one sometimes.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:12 AM

Tried to post yesterday around peak hours (big mistake), but here is what I was going to say:

**** happens when you try to write very fast while going out the door to class. I meant to say 180, not that I thought it was 190. And 180, now that I think of it, is pushing it.... 175 in theory is the best it can get (looked like fuzzy math loses again).

The car is being sold for $5000, which is under the kbb.com price, so I think its a good deal. I'm not particularly looking for a car with mods, it kinda scares me how hard it may have been pushed, but I was looking for a Nissan for a transport car first and maybe mods later (college students don't have jack to spend on anything other than school).

There's been a certain BS factor that's been going on with this guy. He's really nice and shows me all the paper work and offers to give me his mechanics name and all, but stuff like "300 watt speakers" is REALLY off and 200hp is REALLY off. So I, the consumer, have to be smart enough to wade through the BS that he's spitting out to sell the car to see the truth with the car. That's also why I'm going to a mechanic today to get it checked out and make sure something's not about to fall off or something crazy like that.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:28 AM

They don't have one for now ("Coming Soon"). Go to their parent company page www.belltechcorp.com and download the application guide if you want, but it doesn't say much. They're 1-1/4" front solid, 3/4" rear, black, and better than stock. What else would you like to know?
nope, nothing else. Thanks for the info
Old 04-10-2002, 06:53 PM

Figured out how the guy got to 200. I was talking to him about cars today and talking about mods, and said something like "yea, and with a stillen intake that gives you about 20hp"... I tried VERY hard not to laugh in his face. I think he's got an extra zero on the end of that number. This is what happens when you get rich guys that pay other guys to do everything to their car, they don't know jack about what's really going on. They just like to spit out numbers.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:44 PM

Figured out how the guy got to 200. I was talking to him about cars today and talking about mods, and said something like "yea, and with a stillen intake that gives you about 20hp"... I tried VERY hard not to laugh in his face. I think he's got an extra zero on the end of that number. This is what happens when you get rich guys that pay other guys to do everything to their car, they don't know jack about what's really going on. They just like to spit out numbers.
The sad part is, someone might just buy the car expecting that it has around 200hp under the hood.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:00 AM

Well, assuming my mom will send my money from my bank account up in PA (i'm down at Virginia Tech for school right now), the car is mine. Got it inspected today and it passed with flying colors. Says a lot for Nissan... a 11 year old car and it runs amazingly. It was done at the local Nissan dealership, so I got a chance to check out the new 3.5 Altima. Its pretty sweet. I'll be back there this summer when they get the 350Z so I can test drive it.
"Yes Mr Car Salesman, I have enough money to buy a Z *chuckle chuckle*, but I want to take it out for a little drive"
Old 04-11-2002, 07:57 PM

Sorry to keep this thread going, but this is pretty important if anyone has bid on this car, or if anyone knows someone looking at this car.

If there is a carfax done on the car, there is something about a front end collision. There is a VERY small dent from it, but there looks to be a whole story behind it. A friend knows a friend that knows the seller and knows him pretty well on twinturbo.net. Seems the guy's ex gf ran it into the ground pretty well and some dude she knew tried to steal it. So the little fibs of 200HP and 300W speakers and a clean carfax are flat out lies. Glad I hadn't put forward any money. My mom's bf is doing a deal with me now to get his 99 Pathfinder. Beats a beat up Max
Old 04-11-2002, 08:13 PM

So the little fibs of 200HP and 300W speakers
Even $20 PYRAMIDS can be rated at 300 watts. And it is off topic but This kid with an Integra told me his intake added 50hp. And when my giggling stoped he said well that is what the guy at Pep Boys told him
Old 04-11-2002, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by PATRICK94SE

Even $20 PYRAMIDS can be rated at 300 watts. And it is off topic but This kid with an Integra told me his intake added 50hp. And when my giggling stoped he said well that is what the guy at Pep Boys told him
i bet if you hadn't giggled so much, he would also have told you about his 10hp vtech stickers and 20hp LED's
Old 04-12-2002, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by maxima_dumby

i bet if you hadn't giggled so much, he would also have told you about his 10hp vtech stickers and 20hp LED's

My 91 GXE Max is 10 times that car and yes I have at least 195 hp at
the wheels
Not all mods are bolt on
Got to do some work on the basics on engines
New cams "special" pistons adjustable cam gears new ignition system
and you can get more than 200 hp
And still look stock
Old 04-12-2002, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by MaximaCowboy

the wheels
Not all mods are bolt on
And still look stock
What is your compression at?
Old 04-12-2002, 01:09 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

And still look stock
you mind telling us what cams and "spcieal" pistons you are using... and who makes adjustable ca, gears for our cars.....not doubting, just curious.....
Old 04-12-2002, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

you mind telling us what cams and "spcieal" pistons you are using... and who makes adjustable ca, gears for our cars.....not doubting, just curious.....
let me guess, you got turbo too. coughmaxman420cough hehe, jk.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:28 PM

Re: Re: Hmm...

Originally posted by mykizism
[B]

what does that have anything to do with the topic? [/B

]
Johnny Max< 200 hp

VG Boy < 200HP

John has all the bolt ons, and did a dyno. Everything else is all BS.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:15 PM

There's been a certain BS factor that's been going on with this guy. He's really nice and shows me all the paper work and offers to give me his mechanics name and all, but stuff like "300 watt speakers" is REALLY off and 200hp is REALLY off. So I, the consumer, have to be smart enough to wade through the BS that he's spitting out to sell the car to see the truth with the car. That's also why I'm going to a mechanic today to get it checked out and make sure something's not about to fall off or something crazy like that. [/B][/QUOTE]

If his "estimation" on Hp and the wattage the crokked sales person probally told him you don't have too much to worry about. Just look at the features that you do want or have interest in, that along aith the blue book value will tell you if it's worth it or not. MY 2 CENTS.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:19 PM

Where do you get these from?????
Old 05-20-2002, 11:31 PM

the wheels
Not all mods are bolt on
And still look stock
GXE pulling 195hp at the wheels and your tranny hasn't died yet? Just curious.. are there any N/A VG guys pulling 200hp at the crank?? How about MAX O/D?