3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Front end shaking @ 70mph, wheel balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 02:34 PM

Front end shaking @ 70mph, wheel balancing?

Hi...Haven't post for a while. Just went thro' a job lost and am in a new job, anyway.....

My 92 SE starts to shakes when I approach 70mph. I can't determine if I need wheel balancing or not. The reason I said that is there is a part of the freeway (the part that looks a little darker in color) is shaking. But when I go over the overpass where the concrete is lighter in color, the shaking is lesser.

I had my left outer CV boot replaced a few months ago. I wonder if this would be the cause of the problem (assume the mechanic didn't do a good job). I talked to a co-worker today and he mentioned if the shake comes at 70mph, could be the drive-axle.

Anyone has an insight for me?
Thanks.
-AC
Old 04-11-2002, 02:44 PM
STFU n00b!

could be a bad tire, bad balance, or a funky CV joint install.

When I replaced one of my CVs a while back, I had the same deal.. after spending $2000 on new wheels, tires, complete suspension, brakes, the vibes were still there.
Finally I had another CV boot blow out on me, so I had to pull the joint out.. when I put it back in the vibes were gone.

Soooo, your co-worker might be right in your case. pull the joint out, give it a 1/2 turn, and shove it back in. it certainly can't hurt to try!
Old 04-11-2002, 02:52 PM

I'd certainly like to try rotate 1/2 turn. How hard it is to get the drive-axle out? I can only work on my driveway so I'm not sure if this is an easy job or not. One time, I watched a mechanic work on my Honda's CV and he was hitting and banging hard to get the drive-axle out. Do I need special piling tools? Thanks.
-AC
Old 04-11-2002, 05:10 PM

yea...i had that too

if yo got your tires at pep-boys they will do a full balance for free

if you go to get them looke dto them tell them that it starts shaking at 75 mph
Old 04-12-2002, 12:52 AM

Re: Front end shaking @ 70mph, wheel balancing?

I had the same symptom as you. Whenever I hit around 70 or above the steering would shake like crazy. I replaced my tires and the problem was gone. I'm gonna guess either my tread was too low or they just needed balancing.

Originally posted by AC439
Hi...Haven't post for a while. Just went thro' a job lost and am in a new job, anyway.....

My 92 SE starts to shakes when I approach 70mph. I can't determine if I need wheel balancing or not. The reason I said that is there is a part of the freeway (the part that looks a little darker in color) is shaking. But when I go over the overpass where the concrete is lighter in color, the shaking is lesser.

I had my left outer CV boot replaced a few months ago. I wonder if this would be the cause of the problem (assume the mechanic didn't do a good job). I talked to a co-worker today and he mentioned if the shake comes at 70mph, could be the drive-axle.

Anyone has an insight for me?
Thanks.
-AC
Old 04-12-2002, 07:41 AM

Thanks guys ! I think I'll do a 4 wheels balancing first since it's due for that anyway. The two front tires are quite new (just 7-8k miles) on it. But I have never rebalance since I bought them.

Regards,

-AC
Old 04-12-2002, 09:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks guys ! I think I'll do a 4 wheels balancing first since it's due for that anyway. The two front tires are quite new (just 7-8k miles) on it. But I have never rebalance since I bought them.

Regards,

-AC
Either u need your tires balanced or u need a wheel alignment. Look at your tires to see wheather or not your tire wears out unevenly. Make sure that u check the inside portion of the tire because a lot of people overlook it because they only look at the outside portion to the tire. Also, If u get your wheel aligns, make sure that they do allllll 4 wheel alignment. Max only have 4 wheel toe adjustment and it is really easy, but bad mechanism will take advantage of u any way they can.
Those are the only two simple and common problems with front ends. to test other suspension part is kinda hard to do over the net.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Regards,

-AC
Front end problems are hard to diagnose because there are a lot of parts working together. From what u are saying, it sound like u either need your tires balanced or u need a wheel alignment. Look at your tires to see wheather or not your tire wears out unevenly. Make sure that u check the inside portion of the tire because a lot of people overlook it because they only look at the outside portion to the tire. Also, If u get your wheel aligns, make sure that they do allllll 4 wheel alignment. Max only have 4 wheel toe adjustment and it is really easy, but bad mechanism will take advantage of u any way they can.
Those are the only two simple and common problems with front ends. to test other suspension part is kinda hard to do over the net.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:05 AM

My car vibrated up front and in the steering wheel all the way to Nopi and back last fall. Got the tires re-balanced and all was fine. Already had the cv boots replaced a few years ago, so they were ok.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:12 PM

Fixed.

I just want to reply to the board for a followup.

I finally took my car to Discount Tires for a 4 wheels life time ($24) balancing and this fixed the problem. Glad that this is not other suspension components.

Thanks.

- AC