3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Discussion board etiquette anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 12:29 PM
Large Member

Discussion board etiquette anyone???

This is not meant as a flame or disrespect to anyone. I just wanted to bring something to light that I think should be discussed. I have noticed lately that there are a lot of new members on Maxima.org, as well as new maxima owners. Well, of course we all remember when we were newbies and asked dumb questions (no offense to anyone, since we all used to be one!). Well, I have also noticed that it seems like some people are very HOSTILE on this d-board. I can understand people loosing it when someone says something like "man I'm putting a Vg30dett in my Maxima and getting 900hp". Though, why don't we instead try not to act so hostile and just help people understand our points of view or how difficult certain "projects" might be. Now, this doesn't happen all the time. Though, I just don't like coming on to this d-board and hearing someone ask a question, on a subject out of the ordinary, and then getting flamed or put down for it. Why not simply explain the situation to someone and help them understand how tough/complicated a project might be? That's a lot nicer than putting someone down and telling them they're a F'in idiot for even trying to be creative. I'm not attacking anyone or naming names. I'd just like to see us all be friends here, since we do have similar interests and we are all here for the same reason....Maximas! Though, sometimes it just feels very hostile on this board and kind of gives people the feeling that they shouldn't ever mention or ask any questions they have of something out of the ordinary. Lets just stop acting hostile to everyone and try to get along! I'd like to think of this board as a second home. Though, the way people sometimes respond to some questions, I feel very cautious of saying anything wrong. Tt doesn't feel to good having to watch your every word, in fear of people cutting you down and insulting your intelligence. Can't we all just get a long?!
Old 04-16-2002, 12:38 PM
I'm needing a caw

Actually, the VGdett 900hp engine in a maxima might actually be easier then your awd project. So I fail to see the logic in you saying it's okay to flame the TT maxima guy but not the awd maxima guy.

I also don't want this board to look like a bunch of uneducated rookies that think TTTTTTTTTTT maxima is a trip from Pep-Boys away from completion
Old 04-16-2002, 12:47 PM

Re: Discussion board etiquette anyone???

i agree. some people on here extremely over-react and take things very personal. also, if someone asks an extremely stupid question, which is bound to happen no matter what. instead of flame, just dont answer. it is just a discussion board....not a maxima cult or something.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

AMEN JEFF!!!
Old 04-16-2002, 12:54 PM
Large Member

I agree Jeff. I also don't want 500 people asking daily if they can get a turbo kit at Walmart or anything! Though, I should have worded it differently. I didn't mean it would be okay to flame in that situation. And yeah, it might be easier than the AWD project! I mean, you wouldn't really be completely changing the whole drivetrain as much as you'd upgrade it to be able to handle 900hp. Well I guess I should make a 900hp Maxima since its easier than AWD! j/k (I'm not actually serious!)
Old 04-16-2002, 01:11 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Discussion board etiquette anyone???

Originally posted by thebull
i agree. some people on here extremely over-react and take things very personal. also, if someone asks an extremely stupid question, which is bound to happen no matter what. instead of flame, just dont answer. it is just a discussion board....not a maxima cult or something.
right...i do that and they get all pi$$y that no one knows.
so if you don't answer..they get pi$$ed...and if you do answer they won't like it when i ask them to do a search.

then you get the ones that lie about doing searches just to make people think they tried and failed.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Actually, the VGdett 900hp engine in a maxima might actually be easier then your awd project. So I fail to see the logic in you saying it's okay to flame the TT maxima guy but not the awd maxima guy.

I also don't want this board to look like a bunch of uneducated rookies that think TTTTTTTTTTT maxima is a trip from Pep-Boys away from completion
It's one thing if the same guy asked the same idiotic question over and over again, but it's another thing if a newbie asks a question that you think it's stupid. Like everyone else, we all need to start somewhere right and this board to help people learn not to flame them cuz they don't know $hit. Last i recall you're not required to have a engineering degree to join the board. Like shadow said, if you don't like or argee with what you read then don't answer, it will eventually go away, but putting people down and flaming them at every corner is just ridiculous. And to start things off, i think you mods should start setting an example for other memebers. Look mods, you volunteer for the job, so start acting professionally and stop flaming other members. Like any authoritative position, there comes the need for patience. So give us dummy a break, mind you just cuz we don't know much about our cars doesn't mean we have an iq of 2. And if you don't like being a mod then stop complaining and just quit, it's not like someone is holding a gun to your head.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Discussion board etiquette anyone???

Originally posted by Shadow1198
This is not meant as a flame or disrespect to anyone. I just wanted to bring something to.....
I don't really think jeff follows some of this stuff you were talking about.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

[QUOTE]Originally posted by maxima_dumby
[B]It's one thing if the same guy asked the same idiotic question over and over again, but it's another thing if a newbie asks a question that you think it's stupid.{/b][quote]

When did I jump in and say his question was stupid????

[quote][b]Like everyone else, we all need to start somewhere right and this board to help people learn not to flame them cuz they don't know $hit.[/b/]/quote]

Yup. When I started on this board, I started w/ the search function. It's unfortunate that others don't do the same.

Last i recall you're not required to have a engineering degree to join the board. Like shadow said, if you don't like or argee with what you read then don't answer, it will eventually go away,

That's right. I rarely even give a 2nd look if the question is dumb or is easily answered by searching around. IF the question is genuine I will answer. Other than that, I leave the rookie questions up to the others. But you can see how these threads end up sometimes.

but putting people down and flaming them at every corner is just ridiculous. And to start things off, i think you mods should start setting an example for other memebers.

Again, since when have I put someone down? You go ahead and search ALL OF MY POSTS FROM DAY ONE BEFORE COMING DOWN ON ME OKAY? I used to answer ALL THE QUESTIONS HERE THAT I COULD. But you know what? How many times can you answer "what's the best intake/exhaust/suspension/wheels/tires/ecu/turbo/sc/etc.........????? Do you expect me to write the same answer a billion times????? And how exactly do I direct people to my info???? Ask them to search right??? And what happens when I tell people to do that???? Correct, they get ****ed off because they refuse to type 3 or more words in the search function and read for 20 minutes. If they cannot do that, then they don't really deserve my time now right?? You know what? I think YOU should answer all the questions from now on okay?

Look mods, you volunteer for the job, so start acting professionally and stop flaming other members. Like any authoritative position, there comes the need for patience. So give us dumbie a break, mind you just cuz we don't know much about our cars doesn't mean we have an iq of 2. And if you don't like being a mod then stop complaining and just quit, it's not like someone is holding a gun to your head.
Act like professionals? You are certianly kidding right? Yup I volunteered(actually nominated) for this. It's my job to moderate and that's just what I do. But that does not exclude me from voicing my personal opinions either. Becuase if they did, alot of the jerks on this board would take advantage of that. ie... flame me knowing that I couldn't flame back. It's been done before because as a moderator, I can't flame the same as members right???

I suggest if you can't handle the truth or some of the replies(within reason), I suggest you don't post the question in the first place. Not knowing about cars is not a legitimate excuse IF THE INFORMATION YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IS OBTAINABLE THOUGH SEARCH. If you don't know about cars, chances are it's been mentioned before.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:52 PM

you told me once that is certainly possible to make a maxima 600hp but not from me.... hmm... well, if i ever do (not sure that i want to, i'll get gunned down for even having pictures from everyone here) well... i guess all i can say is i'll feel sorry for you.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:54 PM
I'm needing a caw

I feel sorry already.

Originally posted by mtcookson
you told me once that is certainly possible to make a maxima 600hp but not from me.... hmm... well, if i ever do (not sure that i want to, i'll get gunned down for even having pictures from everyone here) well... i guess all i can say is i'll feel sorry for you.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:55 PM

Old 04-16-2002, 01:57 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by maxima_dumby

It's one thing if the same guy asked the same idiotic question over and over again, but it's another thing if a newbie asks a question that you think it's stupid. Like everyone else, we all need to start somewhere right and this board to help people learn not to flame them cuz they don't know $hit. Last i recall you're not required to have a engineering degree to join the board. Like shadow said, if you don't like or argee with what you read then don't answer, it will eventually go away, but putting people down and flaming them at every corner is just ridiculous. And to start things off, i think you mods should start setting an example for other memebers. Look mods, you volunteer for the job, so start acting professionally and stop flaming other members. Like any authoritative position, there comes the need for patience. So give us dummy a break, mind you just cuz we don't know much about our cars doesn't mean we have an iq of 2. And if you don't like being a mod then stop complaining and just quit, it's not like someone is holding a gun to your head.
well i can't speak for Jeff...but let's just say you know your stuff about maximas. someone ask you (for example) how to change your headlight bulb and asks what size the bulb is.
ok so you post this long post with very detailed information on how to swap it..what brand it good..where to go get it. that prob took you a good 15 min to get it all together.
the guy reads the post and is happy.

5 days later...another new guy comes on..asks the same questions...
now what to do? you can...
1 - be nice about it and retype your mini essay with the detailed information.
2 - let the person know what you just did a huge write up on and let them do a search on it
3 - let it go and don't say anything

if you go with 1...
you're probably getting fed up trying to remember what exactly you put down and etc.

if you go with 2...
the new guy gets ****ed off and says that you're a (insert curse word here) and you didn't help him.

if you go with 3...
the new guy gets ****ed and says no one helps him and this BBS is useless.

that's what i face each day. i did my write up already..but the new guys just don't want to run a search. or they just out right lie and say u did it and you want someone to cater to their needs.
we don't work for you...people will answer when they can.

to the people who say they can do this way out thing on their car...hey i'll believe when i see it.
AWD max...sure let's see some plans. don't just shoot off your mouth do some work.
turbo max...another hot one. everyone TALKS about it and etc. let's see your plans. don't just talk about it. do something!! the best ones are the ones who asks how to do it. it's all custom..no one will sit here and write down a 3 page essay on what's needed and explain the art of adding boost.

help yourself..don't expect others do take your hand and walk your through it. try to dig up stuff and research! if you come to me with some research and show me what you have i'd give u more props.

simple questions regarding bulbs, timing, mainteance, oil change, etc etc...all that stuff is on the web in one way or another.
like in life...action/money talks...BS walks.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:00 PM

seriously jeff you're taking things abit overboard here. My post wasn't exactly directed to you and only you. It was a generalized statement for all memebers and mods. And yes you can always voice your opinion, but there is a professional way and there is the layman's way. You don't have your boss coming up to you and calling you a moronic idiot (not saying you that you have done it, just using it as an example) when you screw something up. Just sugar coat your wording to express your disapproval That alone will make most people realized that they have said something stupid and dropped the subject, and if they don't, then they are a moron and then you can go ahead and flame them. But the point i am trying to make here is patience.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:06 PM
I'm needing a caw

I don't think anyone that can remember this maxima bbs BEFORE this one ever existed would say I HAVEN'T exhibited a great deal of patience.

As far a sugar coating my disapproval. Put it this way. It takes probably 3-4 sentences to give the honest truth. To sugar coat it, it takes at least 2x that. I'm here alot on these boards, but some don't really don't deserve the time it takes to be nice. And sometimes the message doesn't get across the first time(sugar coated) Now you have to write another long post or just ignore them.

seriously jeff you're taking things abit overboard here. My post wasn't exactly directed to you and only you. It was a generalized statement for all memebers and mods. And yes you can always voice your opinion, but there is a professional way and there is the layman's way. You don't have your boss coming up to you and calling you a moronic idiot (not saying you that you have done it, just using it as an example) when you screw something up. Just sugar coat your wording to express your disapproval That alone will make most people realized that they have said something stupid and dropped the subject, and if they don't, then they are a moron and then you can go ahead and flame them. But the point i am trying to make here is patience.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by DanNY

if you go with 3...
the new guy gets ****ed and says no one helps him and this BBS is useless.
seriously people does it REALLY matters all that much in what one particular individual thinks and feels about the forum. There are bound to be one or two bad apples in a pile. I mean if a person gets ****ed off cuz no one will help them, then let it be. What is he gonna do, come back and hack your *** back into the ice age. Those selfish, self centered people most likely wouldn't have much to offer to the forum anyways and and afterwhile those people will usually leave the forum for good. Provided they will cry and whine about it for the next 2 weeks. So don't read it, and if it really gets out of hand, that is what jambo and the other mods are here for. You can't make everyone happy ya know.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:28 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

wake me when the Cliff Notes come out....this thread is way too long to say something thats been said everytime a "newbie" gets ribbed on(BTW thats been 5,444,356,889.35 times )......its a natural fact, it occurs on the internet all the time, you just gotta deal sometimes!
Old 04-16-2002, 06:20 PM
STFU n00b!

seriously people does it REALLY matters all that much in what one particular individual thinks and feels about the forum. There are bound to be one or two bad apples in a pile. I mean if a person gets ****ed off cuz no one will help them, then let it be. What is he gonna do, come back and hack your *** back into the ice age. Those selfish, self centered people most likely wouldn't have much to offer to the forum anyways and and afterwhile those people will usually leave the forum for good. Provided they will cry and whine about it for the next 2 weeks. So don't read it, and if it really gets out of hand, that is what jambo and the other mods are here for. You can't make everyone happy ya know.
I can recall many a situation where you're the one that's whining because we're picking on you or not answering our questions.
Being a moderator isn't fun.. I was personally asked to do it by Jamie, so I agreed because I was requested. NOT because I like telling people to read..
Just like being a cop, it's a person that everyone always whines about until you need one.. then you complain that they're not there quick enough.
Would YOU like to be a moderator? I doubt it, so don't talk to us like we're the bad people. We're doing a job that nobody wants, and have to continually put up with crap like this from people like you. (this exact same thread happens about every 3 months, FYI.)
Old 04-16-2002, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE

I can recall many a situation where you're the one that's whining because we're picking on you or not answering our questions.
Being a moderator isn't fun.. I was personally asked to do it by Jamie, so I agreed because I was requested. NOT because I like telling people to read..
Just like being a cop, it's a person that everyone always whines about until you need one.. then you complain that they're not there quick enough.
Would YOU like to be a moderator? I doubt it, so don't talk to us like we're the bad people. We're doing a job that nobody wants, and have to continually put up with crap like this from people like you. (this exact same thread happens about every 3 months, FYI.)
All you moderators are bad bad people. BAD!
Old 04-16-2002, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE

Oooooooo this should be interesting, why don't i go and be the devil's advocate here. Matt, please enlighten me and show me where and how i was whining cuz either my questions weren't being answered or cuz i was being picked on. Just wouldn't want to be blamed for something i have no recollection of. Secondly, to moderate doesn't mean to flame, it means to arbitrate hence to be neutral. Of course you can voice your opinion, but as a mod shouldn't you watch what you say. Calling a fellow member an outright idiot or putting them down cuz they are ridiculously silly is extremely uncalled for, especially coming from the forum's moderator. So do your job, be resourceful and stop treating people like they are an inferior. And think about this, if this topic reappears every 3 months or so, don't you think that this is a serious problem and needed to solved.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:55 AM
I'm needing a caw

Didn't you read anything I wrote?

Oooooooo this should be interesting, why don't i go and be the devil's advocate here. Matt, please enlighten me and show me where and how i was whining cuz either my questions weren't being answered or cuz i was being picked on. Just wouldn't want to be blamed for something i have no recollection of. Secondly, to moderate doesn't mean to flame, it means to arbitrate hence to be neutral. Of course you can voice your opinion, but as a mod shouldn't you watch what you say. Calling a fellow member an outright idiot or putting them down cuz they are ridiculously silly is extremely uncalled for, especially coming from the forum's moderator. So do your job, be resourceful and stop treating people like they are an inferior. And think about this, if this topic reappears every 3 months or so, don't you think that this is a serious problem and needed to solved.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:00 AM

yeah i read it
you know what
do want you think is in your best judgement
i am just gonna go back to my little corner and disappear.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:46 AM

Sugarcoating, Moderators, I don't carry my feelings on my computer sceen so i don't mind the blunt answers. I think you guys do good "vonunteer work" because i know all of you have jobs already. I've never seen any of you flame someone without good reason if you've really flamed at all. Keep doin your thing and let the boys on the "Hater-aide" get to you!

"Takin pride in my ride like every playa should!!"
Old 04-17-2002, 09:51 AM
I'm needing a caw

Thanks Mike. Good post about the feelings.

Originally posted by Mike92GXE

Sugarcoating, Moderators, I don't carry my feelings on my computer sceen so i don't mind the blunt answers. I think you guys do good "vonunteer work" because i know all of you have jobs already. I've never seen any of you flame someone without good reason if you've really flamed at all. Keep doin your thing and let the boys on the "Hater-aide" get to you!

"Takin pride in my ride like every playa should!!"
Old 04-17-2002, 10:29 AM

It really makes me laugh when I read posts on this board. I originally signed up to learn more about my Maxima. However upon reading posts most of them just have a huge rant on how the person asking the question should use the search function. Instead of wasting your time complaining about the search button why don't you just help the person by answering their question. You spend more time typing a whole complaint about the frigin search button then just writing the solution. Get a grip people this is supposed to be a fun site to learn and share information, if your more knowledgable on a certain subject help them, don't brush them off. And if answering someones question aggrevates you, don't bother writing anything at all.
Every topic that I am interested in learning about goes something like this:

Question: I'm having a problem with my car, it idles erratically.

Response: Why don't you use the search button first before you waste our time posting this. Every post cost money and bandwith.

Response2: Yeah, I wish people would use the search function instead of posting their problems. What do they think, this forum is supposed to help people?

This is just my opinion. I still love this site and would never leave. I just wish it could be a more friendly place & less like an abusive household.

Peace
Old 04-17-2002, 10:44 AM
STFU n00b!

hmm you first tell me my job is to moderate- therefore sit back and babysit and "arbitrate" as you say. Then you tell me my job is to be resourceful- thus be active and answer questions..

well which do you want? I can sit back and delete your posts and babysit, or I can answer questions.
If someone asks a stupid question, I'll give you a stupid answer.

As for it recurring every few months, it's because of little whiny children get on here expecting everything they want handed to them on a silver platter. when we tell them to look for it to do a little research themselves, they whine and cry.. pretyt much liek you. "you're the moderators. do your job and tell me the answer."
NO. We're the moderators to keep whiny little morons from overrunning the board. We just happen to know more than many about these cars.

I offer my knowledge and experiences as a gift to the Maxima community and my friends, NOT as a question and answer session where I'm supposed to have the answers just because I'm a moderator..

Remember.. my job is to arbitrate, not participate- according to your opinion.

Now I'm going to arbitrate and lock this thread before you **** off ALL the moderators and we have you banned. THAT'S our job. would you like us to enforce it?