3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fresh Air Vent Repair Write-Up -->

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 07:34 AM

Fresh Air Vent Repair Write-Up -->

I hope I didn't over-complicate it...I tried to make it as clear as possible. Post here if anybody has questions. Please feel free to put this on any of your websites, if you so desire.
Repair of Cabin Fresh Air Vent...

This feature is standard on the 3rd generation Nissan Maxima (1989-1994). It is a lever located on the left side of the cabin temperature control unit, next to the hazard lights switch, for both auto digital and manual climate controls. This feature is cable driven, which means that the manual lever, up being open and down being closed, controls a baffle in the ventilation system, to allow outside air to pass through the vents, even with heat or defroster modes on. Over time this baffle gets a little stickier, causing more needed force to be used when controlling the lever. The problem is that the cable is only attached by a small plastic loop on the actual lever, which will break if used often enough. Repair is not difficult, just a little time consuming. If I had to do it over again, it would take no more than 1 hour. There may be better ways to repair this, but this is how I did it.

Step 1) Remove the shifter trim, either automatic or manual transmissions, using a screwdriver or butter knife to pry up and remove.
Step 2) Remove the ashtray and audio/climate trim. There are two screws near the bottom to remove, and then the top pops out with a little force. Unplug the hazard switch and lighter to fully remove.
Step 3) Remove the trim piece between steering wheel and floor pedals. There are a total of 6 bolts. Remove the two screws fastening the trim for the rear defroster and rheostat controls. This will need to be pulled out of the way to slide the trim piece out in step 4. There are 2 screws on the center console, 1 on each side of the shifter to be removed. Lift the emergency brake handle to access a cover piece underneath, and remove those two screws. This will allow the center console to pivot upwards. Remove the trim piece underneath the glove box compartment.
Step 4) By removing all of the items in step 3, access to the final trim piece is now possible. This is the piece that the climate controls unit is connected to. There are 2 screws on the side, near the floor, and 4 more screws on the face of the trim piece. It will take a little patience to remove this piece, but it will come out.
Step 5) Remove the climate control unit from the trim piece.
Step 6) The lever is now accessible, and can be removed. There are 2 small screws which hold this assembly together. By removing them both it will disassemble.
Step 7) Repair methods will vary. Some have used epoxy to re-attach the broken loop. I chose to drill a new hole in the circular lever, and bend the cable a full 180 degrees, and loop through the new hole. The hole should be drilled close to the edge of the circle, but leave enough meat so it won’t break again.
Step 8) Reassemble in reverse order.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:52 AM

Should check out my thread on an interesting heat problem and toss me some insight, since it appears that everyone else is too afraid to do more then glance at it
Thanx for the write-up tho, I've wondered what it was, and how it works!
Old 05-04-2002, 07:38 AM

Re: Fresh Air Vent Repair Write-Up -->

Originally posted by Isaacm
Very timely and useful write-up. thanks. My dash is apart...so now would be a good time to fix this. Often wondered how to do it.
Old 05-11-2002, 12:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Fresh Air Vent Repair Write-Up -->

You sound knownlegable. I want to ask question on control unit. I had an electrical short on battery cable which blew my radio fuse and cabin temperature control unit. I have already disassembled dash and pulled out unit. First I can not determine if diodes could just be replaced or (2) I need to replace whole unit and (3) Where could I get a used unit. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Isaacm
I hope I didn't over-complicate it...I tried to make it as clear as possible. Post here if anybody has questions. Please feel free to put this on any of your websites, if you so desire.
Repair of Cabin Fresh Air Vent...

This feature is standard on the 3rd generation Nissan Maxima (1989-1994). It is a lever located on the left side of the cabin temperature control unit, next to the hazard lights switch, for both auto digital and manual climate controls. This feature is cable driven, which means that the manual lever, up being open and down being closed, controls a baffle in the ventilation system, to allow outside air to pass through the vents, even with heat or defroster modes on. Over time this baffle gets a little stickier, causing more needed force to be used when controlling the lever. The problem is that the cable is only attached by a small plastic loop on the actual lever, which will break if used often enough. Repair is not difficult, just a little time consuming. If I had to do it over again, it would take no more than 1 hour. There may be better ways to repair this, but this is how I did it.

Step 1) Remove the shifter trim, either automatic or manual transmissions, using a screwdriver or butter knife to pry up and remove.
Step 2) Remove the ashtray and audio/climate trim. There are two screws near the bottom to remove, and then the top pops out with a little force. Unplug the hazard switch and lighter to fully remove.
Step 3) Remove the trim piece between steering wheel and floor pedals. There are a total of 6 bolts. Remove the two screws fastening the trim for the rear defroster and rheostat controls. This will need to be pulled out of the way to slide the trim piece out in step 4. There are 2 screws on the center console, 1 on each side of the shifter to be removed. Lift the emergency brake handle to access a cover piece underneath, and remove those two screws. This will allow the center console to pivot upwards. Remove the trim piece underneath the glove box compartment.
Step 4) By removing all of the items in step 3, access to the final trim piece is now possible. This is the piece that the climate controls unit is connected to. There are 2 screws on the side, near the floor, and 4 more screws on the face of the trim piece. It will take a little patience to remove this piece, but it will come out.
Step 5) Remove the climate control unit from the trim piece.
Step 6) The lever is now accessible, and can be removed. There are 2 small screws which hold this assembly together. By removing them both it will disassemble.
Step 7) Repair methods will vary. Some have used epoxy to re-attach the broken loop. I chose to drill a new hole in the circular lever, and bend the cable a full 180 degrees, and loop through the new hole. The hole should be drilled close to the edge of the circle, but leave enough meat so it won’t break again.
Step 8) Reassemble in reverse order.
Old 05-12-2002, 05:45 PM

How do you know if it's broken?
Old 05-12-2002, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by davis4005
How do you know if it's broken?
If fresh air does not come through the main vents after flipping the switch .

Hey Isacam, nice writeup. Mine still works but that good info.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:56 PM

If fresh air does not come through the main vents after flipping the switch .
Really? What a constructive response. Can you hear a flap opening or closing when you flip it?
Old 05-13-2002, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by davis4005

Really? What a constructive response. Can you hear a flap opening or closing when you flip it?
If you flip it with the car running, you probably won't hear it. There will be some resistance when trying to flip it. Mine would flip with the flick of your pinky finger, so I knew it was broken.

Originally posted by Vscoggin
I want to ask question on control unit. I had an electrical short on battery cable which blew my radio fuse and cabin temperature control unit. I have already disassembled dash and pulled out unit. First I can not determine if diodes could just be replaced or (2) I need to replace whole unit and (3) Where could I get a used unit. Any ideas?
I wish I knew more about electrical components, so I'm not gonna lie to ya...I have no clue. If you've already replaced the fuses, and it still doesn't work, you might have bigger problems. As far as a replacement, and import bone yard will have at least 3 or 4 of those things lying around...unless you have the auto/digital unit: harder to come by, and more $$$.

Originally posted by Taegost
Should check out my thread on an interesting heat problem and toss me some insight, since it appears that everyone else is too afraid to do more then glance at it
Thanx for the write-up tho, I've wondered what it was, and how it works!
Please link the thread, I was unable to find it.