3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Remote Keyless Entry Addition

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002 | 12:56 PM

Remote Keyless Entry Addition

Just found this site...have owned my '89 Maxima since new. It was the first big purchase out of college and I still have it. Have owned other Japanese cars at the same time, but cannot part with my Max. It has 90Kmi and has never been back to the dealer for one problem. Never been hit or painted. Garaged everyday. Looks and drives brand new. Not to say it's been perfect. One rear window is dead (never use 'em anyway)...but have religiously lubed all the other tracks/regulators. Also installed a radio/cass/CD unit from a 2000 Altima. All speakers have been replaced too. What a difference those two upgrades made! Got the speakers from Crutchfied for under $200 and the head unit from a friends Altima before he traded it in. The dealer never even noticed the junky unit from my car in the Altima! Timing belt done last year and that's it. Eveything else works and is in new condition. I have the GXE and it of course has the keypad on the door. Has anyone ever added a remote keyless system to a GXE? It would somehow have to work with the factory alarm, the current keypad, and the new remote. I know that if the car is locked and it is opened by any other means than the keycode or the key itself, it sets off the alarm (like pulling up the inside button). Does Nissan provide such a kit that could just plug in? I have an aftemarket keyless remote system a friend gave me, but since I'm not sure how to interface it with the lock/security systems, I have yet to install it. This item is the only feature this car does not have that I think is a necessity. Any info would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to sharing my experiences and limited modifications (cosmetic and interior fittings mostly). Check back later!
Old 05-26-2002 | 10:48 PM

Re: Remote Keyless Entry Addition

the keyless entry never worked on my car. my parents got in installed as a surprise cause i had been begging for it...but in never worked with the alarm. i'll prob end up getting a whole new alarm for my baby with the keyless entry in it. but i still think you should try the dealer and ask them. the one by my house is never good with answering questions...but maybe you'll have better luck!
Old 05-27-2002 | 07:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

try searching the forums here

I have wire colors on my site and also have posted a couple times how to use a aftermarket keyless entry to arm/disarm the stock alarm so it'll work with it

good luck