3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Doesn't it say not to clean the throttle bodie in the Repair manuals?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 10:07 PM

Doesn't it say not to clean the throttle bodie in the Repair manuals?

Heres what it says "CAUTION: The TB on these models is coated with a Sludge-Resistant material designed to protect the bore and throttle plate. DO NOT attempt to clean the interior of the TB with carburetor or other spray cleaners. This TB is designed to resist sludge accumulation and cleaning may impair engine performance."
Old 05-29-2002, 10:17 PM

Re: Doesn't it say not to clean the throttle bodie in the Repair manuals?

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
Heres what it says "CAUTION: The TB on these models is coated with a Sludge-Resistant material designed to protect the bore and throttle plate. DO NOT attempt to clean the interior of the TB with carburetor or other spray cleaners. This TB is designed to resist sludge accumulation and cleaning may impair engine performance."
bah my car still runs good
Old 05-30-2002, 05:24 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

bump I wana know too
Old 05-30-2002, 05:50 AM

i've cleaned mine twice..once was rushed, the other was complete..i took it off the car..havent had any trouble yet, and a few monthes later, its still clean. just get the correct gasket, take it off the car (very simple), clean it completely and be happy.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:29 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

if it was built to resist sludge..then why the hel1 is so much crap collecting on it?

use TB cleaner..NOT carb cleaner and you're good to go.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Make sure to use TB cleaner that is safe for feul injected engines.

DW
Old 05-30-2002, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Make sure to use TB cleaner that is safe for feul injected engines.

DW
i use CARB CLEANER that says on the can "also cleans throttle bodies and intake manifolds for fuel injected engines" or something to that effect.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:29 PM

Re: Re: Doesn't it say not to clean the throttle bodie in the Repair manuals?

Originally posted by DanNY

if it was built to resist sludge..then why the hel1 is so much crap collecting on it?

use TB cleaner..NOT carb cleaner and you're good to go.
I didn't have much choice... at 194,000 miles, it had to be done... protective coating or not. BTW, if you decide to squirt the TB cleaner past the butterfly valves into the intake plenum (yes that's what I did) and you use most of the can, remember where that TB cleaner fluid goes - down the plenum to the valves. When I turned the ignition key, the valves opened, and fluid dumped into the combustion chamber. Fortunately the motor didn't start and I realized what I had done before I turned the key again. Fluid doesn't compress... duh. I had to take all the plugs out and let the motor pump that stuff out the spark plug holes, then change the oil.
Old 05-30-2002, 04:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Doesn't it say not to clean the throttle bodie in the Repair manuals?

Originally posted by Scott Fife

I didn't have much choice... at 194,000 miles, it had to be done... protective coating or not. BTW, if you decide to squirt the TB cleaner past the butterfly valves into the intake plenum (yes that's what I did) and you use most of the can, remember where that TB cleaner fluid goes - down the plenum to the valves. When I turned the ignition key, the valves opened, and fluid dumped into the combustion chamber. Fortunately the motor didn't start and I realized what I had done before I turned the key again. Fluid doesn't compress... duh. I had to take all the plugs out and let the motor pump that stuff out the spark plug holes, then change the oil.
is that true..?
Old 05-30-2002, 05:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Doesn't it say not to clean the throttle bodie in the Repair manuals?

I guess it's good to be safe and do what you did, but if that happened to me I probably would have still started the car. Yes, fluid does not compress, but there's still a whole bunch of air in there. The air will compensate and compress a little more. So, the engine may knock a bit at startup b/c the hotter air as a result of a bit more compression ignited the feul mix a bit early. Not too likely but possible. All cars knock a little, you just have to listen very carefully sometimes to hear it. It's not as if you completely filled the combustion chamber with incompressible fluid like what might happen if your intake swallowed some water.

DW

Old 05-30-2002, 08:33 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

umm..if you're pouring a gallon in there then i would say yeah fluid doesn't compress.
your car won't start right away because the engine is "flooded"..too much gas not enough air. hold the gas pedal while u crank next time and you'll fire it up.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Doesn't it say not to clean the throttle bodie in the Repair manuals?

I guess it's good to be safe and do what you did, but if that happened to me I probably would have still started the car. Yes, fluid does not compress, but there's still a whole bunch of air in there. The air will compensate and compress a little more. So, the engine may knock a bit at startup b/c the hotter air as a result of a bit more compression ignited the feul mix a bit early. Not too likely but possible. All cars knock a little, you just have to listen very carefully sometimes to hear it. It's not as if you completely filled the combustion chamber with incompressible fluid like what might happen if your intake swallowed some water.

DW

Perhaps you're assuming that I consciously exibited some cautionary behaviour. I didn't. I just turned the key expecting the ole' VG to fire up. It didn't. The motor made about one a revolution and just stopped. It couldn't compress all that TB cleaner fluid in the combustion chamber. Fortunately, the starter motor doesn't have enough torque to bend a connecting rod. If the motor had started up, the result might have been different.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Doesn't it say not to clean the throttle bodie in the Repair manuals?

Yeah, I did think it was cautionary behaviour. By the way, how much fluid are we talking about that spilled into the intake?? It can't be that much. Couple of ounces?

DW

Perhaps you're assuming that I consciously exibited some cautionary behaviour. I didn't. I just turned the key expecting the ole' VG to fire up. It didn't. The motor made about one a revolution and just stopped. It couldn't compress all that TB cleaner fluid in the combustion chamber. Fortunately, the starter motor doesn't have enough torque to bend a connecting rod. If the motor had started up, the result might have been different.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Doesn't it say not to clean the throttle bodie in the Repair manuals?

Yeah, I did think it was cautionary behaviour. By the way, how much fluid are we talking about that spilled into the intake?? It can't be that much. Couple of ounces?

DW

I used up the vast majority of (what I think) was a twelve ounce can, so probably about 8 ounces went into the combustion chamber(s).
Old 05-31-2002, 09:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Doesn't it say not to clean the throttle bodie in the Repair manuals?

I used up the vast majority of (what I think) was a twelve ounce can, so probably about 8 ounces went into the combustion chamber(s).
haha..so that's why you're supposed to leave your car facing downhill!
Old 06-01-2002, 06:33 AM

Yup. Mine, too.

DW

Originally posted by MaDMaX024

i use CARB CLEANER that says on the can "also cleans throttle bodies and intake manifolds for fuel injected engines" or something to that effect.