3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Climate control problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2000, 11:40 AM
Foo90SE

Iv had a problem with my climate control since iv had my car(if just ignored it)...the **** on the slider for the 'hot' and 'cold' adjustment is gone/broken off or something. Are the ***** glued on, made on, or anything? i tried to pull one off of another maxima with my fingers and i couldnt get it off. How hard is it to get the unit out of the dash?

Old 12-03-2000, 11:36 PM

The ***** are friction mounted.

They should come off with a good solid pull.

But if you don't have fingernails, try a small plier.

The problem I have is not with the ****, but with the slider moving from "hot" to "cold". It gets stuck in the middle. I have already checked and its not the cable.
I think it just needs some grease around the slider.

Old 12-03-2000, 11:40 PM

well

superdesi is kinda right.. they should just pop off I BELIEVE.. (not positive.. ) if you've got one broken off or something.. its pretty simple to pull from the dash.. just pull off the trim around the radio (maybe the gauges as well to make it easier to access) and there are two screws.. from there I believe its a plug and play sort of deal.. if you want I've got a spare one for sale (entire control panel/unit)...email me (maxtoy@usa.net)

Originally posted by Foo90SE
Iv had a problem with my climate control since iv had my car(if just ignored it)...the **** on the slider for the 'hot' and 'cold' adjustment is gone/broken off or something. Are the ***** glued on, made on, or anything? i tried to pull one off of another maxima with my fingers and i couldnt get it off. How hard is it to get the unit out of the dash?
Old 12-04-2000, 12:55 AM

SuperDesi, I had your same problem!!!!

and I fixed it by taking outn the unit, opening it up and getting inside to where the slider attached to another joint and I basically cleaned out a bunch of gunk that was clogging the joint and apparantly causing the slider to jam in the middle. that was about 9 months ago and its starting to get stiff again in the middle, always was actually, but its getting worse again, I will probably have to yank it out again in less than a year.
Old 12-04-2000, 10:57 AM
Greyboy

Re: well

Justin, don't you think it's a pain in the **** to yank that outta there? I mean, I did that on my last car and saved nearly $800, but it took me a good 2 days of on and off working to get the job done. Those cables that're attached to the dampers on the underside of the dash are a big pain in the **** to put back in and adjust to get it to work right as well. There's those clamps on the underside of the dash that hold the cables and if you don't get those perfectly in place, your slide on the dash may not go all the way in both directions. If I had the choice to do it again though, I would b/c I like working on my car and stuff like that. I bought mine from a junk yard for $60 when the dealer wanted $650 or some ridiculous price for it. The guide for the rod on the inside finally broke after it got stuck and I was too reluctant to give up on turning on the cold air in July. I don't have to worry about that now b/c I got the electronically controled climate controls.

Old 12-04-2000, 11:14 AM

GreyBoy you are absolutely correct!

Taking the climate control unit out is not as easy as taking the radio out.

In fact, I only have one clamp which the slider cable attaches to and that clamp attaches to a screw. The damn screw is missing. Since the air ducts are right there, there is no easy way to install a replacement screw.

However, I believe you could attach a new clamp (available at Radio Shack) in a place where there is enough room and tighten it down. If you tension it properly, it should work without a hitch.