3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Friggin Camber is off....Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2000, 01:36 PM

So...I took my 93gxe to the guy for an alignment. He adjusted a few things but said that my Camber was off and that he couldn't do anything about it. He said it was within the right limits, but opposite limits (.08 on one side and -.10 on the other, or something like that.)

I called one guy who said he could fix it for 4-5 hundred. Another guy said I need some cam kits to compensate. The dealership said they would charge me 100 bones just to check it out.

Any ideas??? I'm sick of my car pulling to the right.

Thanks,
newmax.

Old 12-04-2000, 01:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

Internet diagnotics is always very tough. There could be 10 diff reasons your camber is off. If you took your car to a frame shop that knows his stuff, he could have checked your unibody to see if that's what throwing off your camber. It could also be any one of the suspension pieces that might have been bent at some time. A good frame shop could probably 'coax' things back to normal. Or you could shell out or a set of camber plates or get some camber bolts and have the guy realign the car again. Good luck

Originally posted by newmaxguy
So...I took my 93gxe to the guy for an alignment. He adjusted a few things but said that my Camber was off and that he couldn't do anything about it. He said it was within the right limits, but opposite limits (.08 on one side and -.10 on the other, or something like that.)

I called one guy who said he could fix it for 4-5 hundred. Another guy said I need some cam kits to compensate. The dealership said they would charge me 100 bones just to check it out.

Any ideas??? I'm sick of my car pulling to the right.

Thanks,
newmax.

Old 12-04-2000, 01:54 PM
STFU n00b!

that camber is well within spec.. that can't possibly be what's causing your car to be pulling to the right.
my camber is +0.1 on the right and -.8 on the left, and mine doesn't pull at all unless I have a low tire.

I would suspect it to be more tire problems than alignment..
try swapping your front tires around.. see if the car pulls the other direction. if it does, whichever way the car pulls, that's most likely the bad tire.

if you REALLY want to adjust the camber back to perfect specs (there's no real need to though), you can buy some camber bolts from eibach, ingalls engineering, and several other places (check http://www.lightningmotorsports.com and http://www.carparts.com for the brands.) last time I checked the Ingalls brand were $32/set at lightningmotorsports.com.

I wouldn't call myself an expert on this matter, but I've fought vibrations, pulls, noises, etc for over a year on my car until I found out what was causing each one.. most likely it's not alignment in your case. hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2000, 02:04 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Max's do not have a camber adjustment on them. If your car is lowered, I assume it is, then it will be set in at the top. You can buy Ingles but they are expensive. Otherwise, you can get a kit from any performance store (they'll have to order it) for $20-$30 bucks per strut. I was priced the install from an alignment shop at $10 a side. The kits are just bolts with funky looking washers that compensate for the camber. The only other option you have is to have the shop heat your struts and bend them to fix the problem. I was told this cost around $80 per strut. Mine was only lowered an inch. My fronts don't need the adjustments but my rears do. Run oem tires when doing this, otherwise, with aftermarket, wider tires, the wider tire will "fix" the problem to some extent and the alignment shop won't know where they need to be set properly. The drawback to just ignoring the problem and running the wider tires thinking this has fixed it is if you run a wider tire and don't get the camber fixed, your looking at replacing your bushings due to the increased strain on the rear suspension.
Old 12-04-2000, 04:09 PM

I just ordered a set of Ingalls for my car for $29 shipped. They only adjust +-1% but that should be enough to correct yours. My allignment is very bad so I'm just getting the kit to help offset it. I doubt that I can really fix my allignment unless I relocate my strut in the engine bay.
Old 12-04-2000, 09:51 PM

I stopped by the dealership today. They seemed to not really know what they were talking about. They seemed to be able to adjust the camber a little (how? I don't have any idea) but they didn't seem like they were aiming for fixing my pull. So, I'm not sure if I'll take it over there. Perhaps I'll give a frame shop a call. I wonder if they'll charge me a million dollars just to look at it. I love my car, it's worth it.

newmax

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
that camber is well within spec.. that can't possibly be what's causing your car to be pulling to the right.
my camber is +0.1 on the right and -.8 on the left, and mine doesn't pull at all unless I have a low tire.

I would suspect it to be more tire problems than alignment..
try swapping your front tires around.. see if the car pulls the other direction. if it does, whichever way the car pulls, that's most likely the bad tire.

if you REALLY want to adjust the camber back to perfect specs (there's no real need to though), you can buy some camber bolts from eibach, ingalls engineering, and several other places (check http://www.lightningmotorsports.com and http://www.carparts.com for the brands.) last time I checked the Ingalls brand were $32/set at lightningmotorsports.com.

I wouldn't call myself an expert on this matter, but I've fought vibrations, pulls, noises, etc for over a year on my car until I found out what was causing each one.. most likely it's not alignment in your case. hope this helps.