3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rewiring Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002 | 03:29 PM

Rewiring Sunroof

I was driving today and had a drink in one hand (lack of cupholder) and the steering wheel in the other, and I wanted to open the sunroof. I realized how great it would be if we had one touch buttons. So you can just press it once, and the sunroof opens fully, instead of holding the button down. I think it would be pretty easy to wire up a circuit to do this. Has anyone else done this already? If not I think I may post the results and a little tutorial how to do it.
Old 07-07-2002 | 04:03 PM

I was thinking the exact same think the other day. I always wished our sunroofs had that option like the 4th and 5th gens. I'd like to how your results are and I will try to tackle it myself sometime.
Old 07-07-2002 | 05:26 PM

Craig Brace hasnt tried this already? Wow.
Old 07-07-2002 | 06:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Jeff91SE
Craig Brace hasnt tried this already? Wow.
actually, I looked into this a long time ago; if it were a simple rewire, I would have had it on my page by now

there isn't a "easy" way that would work without adding a few components here and there
I'd thought of a couple things, but to do it the right way, try one of those auto up/down window modules. I think they have them at www.autoloc.com or something like that and I've seen them on ebay before too. You could use it on the sunroof instead of the window.
Wiring up to the switch is a little bit of a pain but doable.

I never did it but I know some 4th gen guys have worked on it so search their forums for more info

good luck
Old 07-07-2002 | 07:38 PM

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»

there isn't a "easy" way that would work without adding a few components here and there
When I say simple, I mean for someone fairly comfortable with electronics, but I'll let ya know how it goes.
Old 07-07-2002 | 07:49 PM

Originally posted by NCSUmax

When I say simple, I mean for someone fairly comfortable with electronics, but I'll let ya know how it goes.
when I say easy, I mean for most people on .org that dont know much at all about electronics but without extra parts, it's not really feasible

I didn't realize you were looking to design something yourself. You could make a very simple RC circuit to just make a simple delay, or you could make a 555 timer which would probably be a better idea. But then you probably also want something to sense the current so it doesn't go too far and wear out the motor. Opening the roof seems like it could be done allright, closing would require 2 steps because of the auto-stop which is built into the motor (the FSM strongly suggests NOT taking apart the sunroof motor so I'm not sure how it's worked in there) but it's still definitely doable.

From the discussions of the 4th gen guys and doing a little bit of thinking myself, it's almost better to just buy the window module for $10-20 or whatever it is and use that.

But if you're gonna try to rig something up yourself, that's great. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck
Old 07-07-2002 | 08:02 PM

Yeah I'm thinking taking apart the motor is a bad idea but one idea I do have is a trip switch of sorts. If I just run a timer circuit then I'd have to judge the time, and it seems to pull back slower when it is colder. If I use a trip switch I can run the circuit untill it opens fully, trips a switch on the track maybe? and cuts the circuit. Another thing I have noticed is that the WIN function on the keyless entry controls the sunroof. Im gonna try to rig my remote keyless entry into that circuit somehow, I know that has been done though. So tomorrow a trip to radio shack and some time with my multimeter will be spent... lets hope it works.
Old 07-07-2002 | 08:37 PM

Originally posted by NCSUmax
Yeah I'm thinking taking apart the motor is a bad idea but one idea I do have is a trip switch of sorts. If I just run a timer circuit then I'd have to judge the time, and it seems to pull back slower when it is colder. If I use a trip switch I can run the circuit untill it opens fully, trips a switch on the track maybe? and cuts the circuit. Another thing I have noticed is that the WIN function on the keyless entry controls the sunroof. Im gonna try to rig my remote keyless entry into that circuit somehow, I know that has been done though. So tomorrow a trip to radio shack and some time with my multimeter will be spent... lets hope it works.
yeah, that might work using a few sensors here and there along the track

I didn't realize you had a GXE, you might be able to tap into the stock keyless entry like you mentioned. I have a SE so I haven't had a chance to ever play with one of those. It's to the right of the glove box under the dash (you probably already knew that, but just in case).

let us know how it goes
Old 07-07-2002 | 09:21 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

yes,yes

this would be a nice little mod,let us know