4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

buick grandnational??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 11:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Buick GN

These things are bad as$ cars! They have a 3.8 liter turbo charged engine that pushes out 250 HP +. Simple mods like exhaust and intake dramatically increase the power for these sleepers. Maximas have no chance what-so-ever against such a fine piece of machinery. Good luck if you still want to race. I'd keep going after you lose.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:01 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

My friend has a GN... it's the fastest car I ever rode in.

We were on the freeway and he nailed the pedal at around 40 miles per hour and it started spinning wheels and this is an automatic (as all GNs are).. yeah he needs better tires but the car was so much power it's hard to hold it. He can't even take it out in the rain because he won't have any traction at all.. I don't know exactly what he has done to it, haven't talked to him that much about it but I know he raised the boost.. he said he hasn't lost a race yet.. That's a 7k car with probably less than 2 grand in mods for sure.. he's always working on it though, lot of it is repairs lol.... You can build a Grand National up to have 2000 hp and run 7s at the track.. if you only want pure straight line performance or a 1/4 drag car.. you can't go wrong with one of these.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:46 PM

I saw one at the track I would not mess with them at least the one I saw was very fast. I never ran into any but my chances are slim as well, once that turbo spools all you will see is that square a@@@z in front of you
Old 07-15-2002, 01:00 PM
Maxima Princess

mmmmmmmm You guys don't know how bad I want one....
Old 07-15-2002, 02:04 PM

his looks exactly like the one sarah00gxe posted so im assuming its turbo. plus my g/f said that she heard him and his buddies talking about it's turbo. so i believe i will stay away from that car, until im supercharged, or my dad finishes rebuilding his charger. then we will see whats up anyway i just figured i may be able to take him cuz of the fact that his car is a pos. its old, rusted, and he doesnt take care of it. its actually died on him like 95347598347589347 times. but i guess his car dying would be my onlly hope
thanks for all the replies
Old 07-15-2002, 02:08 PM

If you like what you hear!!

Take a look at this site. Everything you ever wanted to now about the Buick Grand National & T-Type.

http://www.gnttype.org/[/URL]
Old 07-15-2002, 04:09 PM
I like Maximas

Originally posted by pezking4
The GN was THE fastest production car in 1987.
245 hp stock and the GNX had 276, but they have a top speed of 125 mph, so theoretically you could eventually beat him right What's the top speed for your max? I know mine isn't governed and it will go straight up to around 140 mph.
i dunno my oldsmobile's spedometer goes up to 85 and it tops out at about 115-120. (i tested it on my friend's spedometer) the max can go till about 135 easily i've been there in a 96se. the GN with that turbo and a chip would go 160 i'm sure, unless the wheels will fall off because of the bad suspension and the constant work it needs. so even in the long run a well maintained GN will beat the max, what does that tell you? maybe join the Grandnational.org forum? NO WAY!!! the max is still a much better car than the gn. Chances are you don't need to be going 0-60 in 5 seconds every single time, and if you do, you need help, or you need to join the air force. I love the max and i wouldn't get a GN as my only car. It's there for kicks. The max is there for everything and that is what counts.
Maxima - 1, GN - 0.

-Vadim
Old 07-15-2002, 05:38 PM
living out of a maxima...

Here's how to beat him...

Tell him you want to race "Best out of 50". After he smokes you the first few times his old domestic piece will explode in a blaze of glory and you can cruise through the rest of the races.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:43 PM

Re: Here's how to beat him...

Damn, i saw a real GNX at the car show a couple times... Needless to say, i don't care how damn unreliable those cars are, i'd take one in 0.00000000000000001 seconds flat! The Civic guys walk by it and say stuff like, look at that old trash, i bet it couldn't even reach 60! hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 07-15-2002, 07:44 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

is it true that they made only 547? or was that 547 per year?
Old 07-15-2002, 09:04 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The amazing thing is the GNs aren't that unreliable. Sure, if you beat on it a lot it will break like any other car. Overall, most guys find these cars very reliable especially for an 80s domestic. Mark my word. Next year I will have a black GN sitting in my driveway next to the black Max.

Dave
Old 07-15-2002, 10:05 PM
no more maxima...

GM said they only made around 500 or so GNX's in the last year of production...87...but in fact a few more hundred was made...but keep in mind that is the GNX model...not the normal GN....
...what i love about this car is the fact that it was underrated deliberatly to make it look worst than the corvette at the time....only other car with that engine besides the t type and gn, from what i remember, is the 20th anniversary pontiac trans am's, with the same turbo 3.8. Even with ls1 ws6 technology, they have never made another trans am as fast as the 3.8 turbo version.

Originally posted by NickStam
is it true that they made only 547? or was that 547 per year?
Old 07-16-2002, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by kingrukus
GM said they only made around 500 or so GNX's in the last year of production...87...but in fact a few more hundred was made...but keep in mind that is the GNX model...not the normal GN....
...what i love about this car is the fact that it was underrated deliberatly to make it look worst than the corvette at the time....only other car with that engine besides the t type and gn, from what i remember, is the 20th anniversary pontiac trans am's, with the same turbo 3.8. Even with ls1 ws6 technology, they have never made another trans am as fast as the 3.8 turbo version.

Actually, some of the last GNs made in 1987 may actually have GNX parts on them. I recall reading that some of the last GNs had parts on them that were originally not intended for them.

After doing some research because their project T-Type or GN had parts on it that had no corresponding parts # in any catalog, I think some magazine wrote an article that the Buick engineers and production line managers had to use up some overstock of GNX parts. They used these parts ranging from lightweight bumper supports to larger-capacity intercoolers on the last runs of GNs.

This story may or may not be true, but I recall reading this many years ago when I was searching for a GN. In the hopes that it is true, I've been holding out for a late 1987 GN (although it is increasingly hard to find one that has not already been modified).

Aloha,

Quack 2x
Old 07-16-2002, 01:50 AM

Re: buick grandnational??

Originally posted by DTR Maxima
there is this kid at my girls work that drives an old buick grandnational turbo, and the only mods he has on it are mufflers. i hear this kid is pretty race happy and i dislike him, so i would assume that one these days i will run into him. but i have no idea how these things perform. can anyone give me some specs and times, or just personal experience. not sure on year but an older grandnational turbo w/ mufflers. i have a 96' auto with CAI
Dont even play. My dad had one for awhile and they are ridiculously fast even though they look like a box on wheels.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:29 AM

Hey I love my max its a great car!

But what really brings a smile to my face is when some teenie-bopper cruising in a modified Honda, sounding like a moped with no exhaust, thinks he is going to smoke me. Just the look on his face in my rear view mirror, while I have my windows rolled up and the air on in my stock GN, is a price-less moment.

These are the times when "I would really rather have a Buick"
Old 10-29-2002, 12:31 AM
KCmaxima

GNX

Uhhhhh...I want one so bad, I will own one at some point in my lifetime. For now I'll be quite content with my Maxima.
Oh yeah...when I do own one, the first car I race if possible will be a turbo Supra, just to see the look on his face when I smoke him