4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please help diagnose electrical problem, car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 08:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Please help diagnose electrical problem, car will not start

Whenever I go to start my car fuse #33 (start signal) blows. This fuse is located in the fuse box located on the bottom of the driver side dash. Looking at the wiring diagram for it I can see the wire starts at the ignition switch, then passes though the fuse box, then thought the theft warning relay, then though the clutch interlock relay, and then to the starter motor, or at least thats how its appears to me. Also if you turn the key to the start position without depressing the clutch down most of the time it wont blow the fuse, but occasionally it will, while if the clutch is pressed down then it always blows. I really want to avoid bringing it to a dealer, but im not experienced with electronic systems, if someone could point me in the right direction as far as what to test and how test it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There is an interlock switch that is operated by depressing the clutch, with you able to recreate the problem or not if you do not push the clutch all the way in, it sounds like its the switch or possibly the clutch pedal asembly shorting out. Should be easy to check with a multi meter.I checked the NISSAN FSM, the interlock switch is attached to same bracket as the clutch pedal is. It looks like access is underneath the dash.
Be well!!!!
Old 07-13-2002, 10:24 AM

I'm probably not much help, but just making sure your fuse value is correct.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:20 PM

Well still no luck fixing the problem,I did test the interlock switch but that was not the problem. Now the fuse for the wipers blows as well. I think im gonna just bring it to nissan unless someone has any last minute ideas I should try first.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by CoOlKidS1979
Well still no luck fixing the problem,I did test the interlock switch but that was not the problem. Now the fuse for the wipers blows as well. I think im gonna just bring it to nissan unless someone has any last minute ideas I should try first.

As a long shot I would check electrical grounds. If 1 is falling it sometimes finds really weird paths to complete the circuit. I would clean all of them in the engine compartment that I could find and see what happens! It sounds like you have a bad ground, broken ground wire, etc.

Be well!!!!
Old 07-18-2002, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by karguy

As a long shot I would check electrical grounds. If 1 is falling it sometimes finds really weird paths to complete the circuit. I would clean all of them in the engine compartment that I could find and see what happens! It sounds like you have a bad ground, broken ground wire, etc.

Be well!!!!
Thanks for the reply! I actually checked and cleaned all of the grounds in the engine compartment, even the battery ground too. I was slowly eliminating possibilities, but once the wiper fuse started to blow I just gave up. I should note in case it helps, when I go to start it, it cranks for a split second before it blows, and if I bypass the fuse with a piece of wire, it will sometimes start, most of the time it will still just crank for a split second and thats it, but if I keep tring it will eventually start. I guess im gonna have to go to dealer which I know is gonna charge me anarm and a leg.