4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Dynamatting my MAX?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2000, 01:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

lately ive been getting a lot of anoying rattles in my car. especially after i put it on 17" rims (not dropped). i got a quote from a stereo shop for $900 to dynamat my whole entire car...stripping everything , absolutely everything down and putting 2-3 layers of dynamat and open cell foam all around. That quote was just labor only, they said it would take them about 2 days to do it all. roof, trunk, floor, doors all 3 skins in the door, pillars, rear deck, hood. etc. I will buy all the materials myself. i was just wondering is it well worth it? the noise level will decrease significantly and rattles will probably be a thing of the past. or should i take a week off and try to rip my max apart myself and try to do it all? has anybody done anything similar to their car and can tell me the results afterwards. Also, this will add about 150-200 pounds weight to my car, how much slower noticeably will it be? Thanks
Old 12-10-2000, 01:59 PM

Can't tell you much about matting, but the increase in weight will definitely make a difference...especially 200 pounds!
Old 12-10-2000, 03:30 PM

It will sound like you are in a perfectly quiet room. It will be freaky. But 900 is a little steep. Look around. I know I can get mine done for 500 if i am ever so inclined. Where do you live?
Old 12-10-2000, 03:33 PM

If they do two to three layers all around, the car should be pretty dead acoustically. I don't think the Max is THAT noisy to being with, so I would have a hard time justifying that kind of expense, especially paying that much just for labor. If there are specific areas that are rattling, I'd say dynamat those first yourself to see if it makes enough of a difference for you.
Old 12-10-2000, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
It will sound like you are in a perfectly quiet room. It will be freaky. But 900 is a little steep. Look around. I know I can get mine done for 500 if i am ever so inclined. Where do you live?
i live in woodland hills, cali..what about you? this is a first quote i got so far so im up to going and shopping around...im willing to spend like $300-400 for parts..and then + labor..just gotta save a little bit...anyone know who would do this for a lot cheaper but do as good of a job as my shop? they are one of the best in l.a. "Sounds Good" if any of you have heard about it...btw i guess i should have said that most of these rattles i noticed recently when i took apart my system to redesign it a little bit. Especially in the parking lots over bumpy roads and on the highway i really hate the road noise, and the little annoying rattles accomodating going over bumps. i want it to be as quiet as a lexus. No! i want to it to be quieter than a lexus, i dont want to be able to hear almost anything thats outside short of fire engine. im willing to go to the extreme if thats what it takes. what are some key areas i should look into? firewall? hood? doors..firewall dynamatting is nearly impossible as the whole dash would have to be removed and cost about a $1000 by itself.

98BLUMAX: have you have sat in a dynamatted maxima or a such car that you can quote me the probable result or are you just approximating? I really appreciate all replies.

[Edited by SWEETSOUND2001 on 12-10-2000 at 07:08 PM]
Old 12-10-2000, 05:04 PM

Actually, dynamat is a vibration damper, not an acoustical barrier, so it wouldn't sound like you were in a perfectly quiet room. Hopefully it wouldn't rattle though...

You could do it yourself a lot cheaper for a couple of hundred bucks. Some bulk asphault matting, cascade vb2, and noisekiller blue for those tough to reach areas. Doing the whole car is getting carried away though, I'd just attack the areas that rattle...

BTW, this would have been better off in the Audio forum instead of both the general and 4th gen forums...
Old 12-10-2000, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by deathwish
Actually, dynamat is a vibration damper, not an acoustical barrier, so it wouldn't sound like you were in a perfectly quiet room. Hopefully it wouldn't rattle though...

note i mentioned that i would be using open cell foam to go along with dynamat as dynamat reduces vibrations by increasing body panels weight and open cell foam traps sounds thus giving you a much quieter car. i would probably use such materials such as heat shield from http://www.jcwhitney.coma and hi-temp mastic from http://www.mc-master.com
i dont want to have any rattles and i want my car to be as quiet as a recording studio if thats possbile. so far i havent got any bolt-ons such as cai or exhaust that would prevent me from doing so and i dont plan to. so my main goals are:
I. Good looking car without sacrificing ride quality.
II.Fast=Maxima
III.Extreme sound quality sound system-Almost there, dynamt will surely help a lot.
IV.Quiet as a grave inside whether im at the stop light on gunnin 85 miles per hour on the freeway.
Old 12-10-2000, 05:47 PM

comon..can i get anymore replies here..i need help///
Old 12-10-2000, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
i dont want to have any rattles and i want my car to be as quiet as a recording studio if thats possbile.
Well, it's not possible...
Old 12-10-2000, 06:24 PM

I did the same thing to a Pathfinder I owned and didn't notice a great improvement. Especially not for the $. The rattles are more likely coming from other things rather then the body panels themselves. If you do decide to get it done find a better price.
Old 12-10-2000, 06:37 PM

I was about to do the same with my car

I was thinking about buy the mastic from mc-masters, but I'll I heard it doesn't make a big difference. I figure the material will be like $60 and I'd do the labor myself. I installed my stereo and took the whole thing apart, dash, seats, pillars, you name it. It wasn't too bad, it took a whole day, but if you have a helping hand, it wouldn't be so bad. I think spending $900 is a bit outrageous. It would take me about 3 weeks to make that kind of money.
Old 12-10-2000, 06:44 PM

I've heard that you don't need much of that stuff

to do a good job... only in areas where it needs to be done. I personally wouldn't blow $900 to do the job but go to a reputable store like Magnolia Hi-Fi (if you have one there) and ask them. The whole point of dynamat is it sucks up the vibration. If you have noticed the little demo's they offer of a little can with and without dynamat... the can w/the dynamat only has a 2 square inch section. My advise, do it where you need to...