4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Variable Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 05:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Variable Intake Question

Aight i have been having the worst luck with tryin to get this to work. first i had a vacuum leak which is alot better now, the idel is not near as rough as it was. I think i just need to tightn the rear 2 bolts a little more. But anyway now i can't get the vacuum system to work, now what i mean by this is that i set my rpm switch to 700 rpm just to see if it was opening (it wasn't), I know the rpm switch works and i know i have the vaccum system on together correctly. Now for those of you that have installed it did any of you use daws dual stage control solenoid and the 30 amp realy from radio shack? cause im not sure if its working properly, When i connected the vacuum hose to the the low port which is always open the actuator opens fine, but is open all the time, and when i set it to the high port which is what it should be at to open at a certain rpm it doesn't do anything when the rpm is set to 700. Now im wondering if the wiring could cause the solenoid not to switch to the high port when my set rpm has been reached. I have the solenoid connected to the ground and to the relay (30/51 12v out) and i have the 12 v in (87) connected to the battery and the 12v on/off switch (86) connected to the battery as well and then the rpm is connected to the ground (85). Now is this correct or is it wrong. Please let me know if i have everythign on correctly or if i might have a bad part, if someone could let me know thatd be great, cause i want to get this VI working properly
Ryan
Old 07-19-2002, 07:31 PM

Re: Variable Intake Question

First off, I would recommend testing each part separately. The solenoid/vacuum switch can be tested by applying battery power to the solenoid. If that works (ie. MEVI activates), you just have to make sure the relay is wired correctly.

Vacuum. Most problems seem to occur in connecting the solenoid. The center port goes to the MEVI lever actuator. If you blow on the center port, the air should exit out the port closest to the wires; that is the port you leave open to air. The port that is closed with no power attached (ie. you can't blow into it) is the switched port that connects to the vacuum canister. Also, make sure that the check valve is oriented the correct way (check to make sure the vacuum canister is pulling vacuum at idle). If your canister has a port with a built-in check valve, make sure you are hooking the correct port to the vacuum source.

Lastly, the relay will make a clicking noise when activated by Harlan.

Good luck...
Old 07-19-2002, 07:39 PM

How are you sure the RPM switch is working properly? Where did you connect to get the signal feed for the RPM switch. IF you got it from coil 1 you need to set the RPM switch for coil per plug; if you're getting the signal from behind the gauge cluster (tach) make sure you correctly set the dipswitches for 6 cylinders. I'm not real familiar w/ the Dawes device but you wiring seems to be correct. To test your Dawes device just apply constant +12v and ground, blow through the ports and mark which ones are open/closed w/ respect to each other. Then, remove the +12v and blow through the ports again and mark which ones are open/closed w/ respect to each other. Once you've found the two that are opened w/ +12v present that is where you should hook up the vacuum hoses - I think, anyone else want to correct me? Does this help any? Good luck, I am waiting for my VI, can't wait.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey Ryan

Just to let you know, I had tested the individual parts for you the day I installed the rpm switch. Are you sure you hooked the solenoid up correctly and the relay?

Call me and I'll take a look at it next week. We can also hook up my vacuum gauge if you like.

Nigel
Old 07-19-2002, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by turbo97SE
Hey Ryan

Just to let you know, I had tested the individual parts for you the day I installed the rpm switch. Are you sure you hooked the solenoid up correctly and the relay?

Call me and I'll take a look at it next week. We can also hook up my vacuum gauge if you like.

Nigel
Ya i followed your directions that you gave me, and i re read all the instructions for the solenoid and i have the ports set up right the vacuum is going into the in port and the lever/actuator is is connected to the switched/high port which is closed when no power is appplied to it, so i am lost as to what it could be, i'll go over everything again tommorow and see if i can figure it out.
Ryan
also i have tommorow and sunday off nigel if your available this weekend, let me know.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by dafro
have the ports set up right the vacuum is going into the in port and the lever/actuator is is connected to the switched/high port which is closed when no power is appplied to it, so i am lost as to what it could be
Please read my response above. It doesn't seem like you hooked it up right at all. The lever/actuator is connected to the center port because with no power applied, you want it to vent to air (ie. low port). The vacuum is connected to the high port because you want it to suck the lever actuator when the rpm switch tells it to, but hold vacuum when the switch is not activated (ie. closed port).

BTW, the LED on the Harlan RPM switch will light when the set rpm is hit. That gives you some indication that it is working or at least capturing the tach/coil correctly.

Old 07-19-2002, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Mishmosh

Please read my response above. It doesn't seem like you hooked it up right at all. The lever/actuator is connected to the center port because with no power applied, you want it to vent to air (ie. low port). The vacuum is connected to the high port because you want it to suck the lever actuator when the rpm switch tells it to, but hold vacuum when the switch is not activated (ie. closed port).

BTW, the LED on the Harlan RPM switch will light when the set rpm is hit. That gives you some indication that it is working or at least capturing the tach/coil correctly.

I went out to look it over tonight again and i have it hooked up the way you show in the diagram, and i also tested the rpm switch tonight too and the light does come on for the rpm i have it set at so it has to be something else. im wondering if I have a leak in one of hoses. Im gonna take a look at it tommorow again.
Ryan
Old 07-24-2002, 12:13 PM

Are things working??
Old 07-24-2002, 01:32 PM

Re: Variable Intake Question

Now for those of you that have installed it did any of you use daws dual stage control solenoid and the 30 amp realy from radio shack? cause im not sure if its working properly, When i connected the vacuum hose to the the low port which is always open the actuator opens fine, but is open all the time, and when i set it to the high port which is what it should be at to open at a certain rpm it doesn't do anything when the rpm is set to 700. Now im wondering if the wiring could cause the solenoid not to switch to the high port when my set rpm has been reached.
I used the radio shack relay and dawes devices solenoid for my set-up. If I understand you correctly you have your rpm switch set at 700 rpm which is close to idle. The tach can be off by 100-300 rpm. So if you got the actuator arm to open it could be staying open because the rpm switch it telling it to do so. Try setting the rpm switch at 2,000 rpm. Also did you change the rpm switch setting from "ignition coil" to "v-6" or vice-versa as toolrocks stated?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=speedtrip
Old 07-24-2002, 06:34 PM

Dude

I was thinking about it a little more. Did you apply liquid gasket to the intake and gasket? It is quite possible you have an air leak there if you didn't. Anyway, I'll hook up the vacuum gauge and take a look. (This is for your idle issue). For the activation I'll have to see it. Did you tee into the FPR return hose where I showed you? Also I didn't see the vacuum canister (maybe I just missed it) last time I was with you.

Nigel
Old 07-24-2002, 08:35 PM

Dude

I was thinking about it a little more. Did you apply liquid gasket to the intake and gasket? It is quite possible you have an air leak there if you didn't. Anyway, I'll hook up the vacuum gauge and take a look. (This is for your idle issue). For the activation I'll have to see it. Did you tee into the FPR return hose where I showed you? Also I didn't see the vacuum canister (maybe I just missed it) last time I was with you.

Nigel
actually i didn't spray liquid gasket. So that could be the problem and ya i tapped the fpr for my vacuum, im thinking that there might be a small leak with one of my connections which might be causing the vaccuum not to work properly. hopefully we will find out tommorow.
Ryan
Old 07-24-2002, 11:47 PM

actually i didn't spray liquid gasket. So that could be the problem and ya i tapped the fpr for my vacuum, im thinking that there might be a small leak with one of my connections which might be causing the vaccuum not to work properly. hopefully we will find out tommorow.
Ryan
hi 4-4.30pm works better for me. is that ok?
Old 07-25-2002, 01:27 AM

PM so we can meet up so I can get a ride in it! I wanna see what this thing does!
Old 07-25-2002, 10:50 AM

hi 4-4.30pm works better for me. is that ok?
ya that time is cool nigel, gives me a little time to rest after work. Also jrsmaxima, i'll let ya know when its workn properly and i'll give ya a ride.
Ryan
Old 07-25-2002, 11:17 AM

ya that time is cool nigel, gives me a little time to rest after work. Also jrsmaxima, i'll let ya know when its workn properly and i'll give ya a ride.
Ryan
You guys meeting up in Ft. Fun?
Old 07-25-2002, 11:43 AM

I would assume so since those 2 live there and I live 10 mins from there.