4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

FrankenCar fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 03:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I need HELP! FrankenCar fitment issues

Well, as I posted in iregula's thread, I said I'd update on the fitment with the JWT Cone + FrankenCar midpipe.

Right now, I cannot get it to fit. The support beam that came with the JWT that bolts onto one of the stock air box base holes does not line up parallel to the MAF, and when I try to put on the JWT, the midpipe flex section is forced to slant to the right.

Has anyone gotten it to fit? I know theblue mentioned in Deezo's long thread that there are fitment problems if you don't have your battery relocated. Well, I don't really wanna go through relocating a battery. Solutions anyone? help ASAP would be great becuase I'm working on it right now.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:29 PM

okay here are my problems after fiddling for 20 more minutes:

1) JWT metal support rod that connects to one of the adapter bolts and the car chassis does not line up parallel no matter how much I try to bend the midpipe.
edit: It does fit, but Steve says not to put it on. Personally, I did, and it seems very stable now. If you're not careful though, it can crack, so be warned.

2) Due to the size of the JWT cone, the rubber coupling that on the throttle body is slanted to the right, therefore the rubber doesn't fully cover the throttle body as it's supposed to on the left side.
edit: Steve confirms this is normal. Just be sure to clamp it on real well.

3) Things would be decent if I could just forget about the support rod all together, but the JWT is heavy, and can't be supported too well by just the tubing and the midpipe.
edit: This is what Steve recommends, just forget about the support rod underneath and just let it be supported by the MAF/midpipe alone.

I'll take pics in a few minutes.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:42 PM
syc

dam, I remember asking the question and many said it'll fit. that sucks. I almost ready to buy the midpipe but no money. anyway, have you try this?
http://www.frankencar.com/stevepic/int1.jpg

use some other supporting rod tighten to a useless hole near the struct bolts. (don't know if you have one? but I got one for my 97)
Old 07-21-2002, 04:49 PM

how would I make that? it looks a bit complex and multi-jointed.

Here are my problems:

To actually get the JWT to fit in the space between the strut tower area and the battery, the rubber has to bend and move like this:

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...39_52_full.jpg

even in that position, the bracket will just not fit on properly. It has been slanted to fit the stock setup, but not the frankencar one. As you can see in this pic,

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...39_53_full.jpg

the bracket (rod) and the maf are in different angles, so I can't screw the bolt on all the way.
edit: I got it to fit just incase you don't read the later posts.

And syc, thanx for the reply.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:02 PM
syc

now, I understand the problem from the pics. that really sucks.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:08 PM

Update...

you know your suggestion on that home made supporting rod?

well, the midpipe design for the 4th Gen doesn't reach that far, so I can't do it.

Also, it seems like the battery can be used as a side to side support since it is so snug, sitting right next to it. All I need now is support to hold it up. (I've come to the conclusion that the JWT bracket will not fit in any way)

You know what would be a slightly more flexible design? If we used the accordian section (I'm discovering its advantages more and more) instead of the thick rubber coupling for the midpipe. That way, the midpipe will still be fully connnected to the TB without a slant as pictured in my first pic.

I would appreciate more help from those of you with suggestions or solutions...I really want to get this on tonight so I can take it out for a test drive.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:16 PM

I just installed mine...went from a Stillen with the support bracket. There was no way it was going to fit, so I just let the K&N hang...it's on very snug and I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe the JWT is heavier? I still think it'll be allright without it. Just clamp everything really snug. And I had to angle the throttle body hose like you were saying. It's still covering the throttle body at least an inch or so all around, so I'm not worried.

Hmmm...First impressions are not that great. Not really noisier than Stillen, don't think the midpipe made a big difference in that area. Does seem to have a little (and I mean LITTLE) more low end power. Could just be psychological, however. Not bad, but not a big step up in performance or sound from just a popcharger.

Alex
Old 07-21-2002, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by dental stud

Hmmm...First impressions are not that great. Not really noisier than Stillen, don't think the midpipe made a big difference in that area. Does seem to have a little (and I mean LITTLE) more low end power. Could just be psychological, however. Not bad, but not a big step up in performance or sound from just a popcharger.

Alex
ALex,

thank you very much for your install comments and your review. I think I will also let it just hang until I find some way to support it.

The only thing is, I was driving for almost 2 hours straight at speeds of 75-90mph (shh ) anyway, there were some bumpy roads and all, so I think before I go on the highway again, I'm going to need to find a solution to hold the JWT up. And no, I think the Stillen and JWT are almost exact in mass, maybe I'm just a bit more paranoid.

thanx again

edit: btw, I see you have a 5-speed, as I do. Maybe that's why you're not feeling the gain as well?..because we never lost it in the first place? just something to think about.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:03 PM

This is very weird (syc I hope you're reading this too, as well as everyone else who has a 4th Gen and a JWT) but the FrankenCar fits now! For some reason, the bracket is lining up correctly. I'm going to double check right now if I'm being delusional. Pics coming up in a few minutes.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:11 PM

have u contacted steve?
Old 07-21-2002, 06:13 PM

Due to having no battery left on my camcorder, I can't take pics. I'll post them up soon. BUT, I've figured out the best way to use the JWT intake along with the bracket.

The way I installed it, I had everything from the TB to the JWT Intake attached. All clamps were tightened. Next, I attached it to the TB, and twisted it a few inches towards the front of the engine bay. To be more specific, the MAF box is closer to facing the direction of the front of the car, maybe about 10 degrees from vertical.
edit: I exaggerated 10 degrees. It's more like 5-7 degrees from vertical.
By rotating it like that, the bracket seems to align much better, but unfortunately, the coupling to the TB is still slanted (not fully snugged), but it should be ok.

Cliff Notes:

It takes a lot of experiementing if you have a JWT or Stillen intake. You might have to modify a little bit as I have (I also cut the heater hose to IACV about 3 inches and it fits much better) and just play with it until it fits and works out. The slant I keep mentioning is due to the lack of room because of the battery. So in order for everything to fit, you must the midpipe/maf/intake section to the right, thus creating a slightly disconnected coupler to the TB.
http://images.cardomain.com/installs...39_52_full.jpg
Old 07-21-2002, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax
have u contacted steve?
No I haven't, but I've contacted Matt. Steve seems very busy right now.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:38 PM

Okay, I figured out another solution. When you get your midpipe, the section that needs two clamps, which connects one side of the pipe to the MAF, you MUST be sure to include a 1'' (or more) space from the nearest tube and the coupler. This way, you extend the length from the left side of the MAF to the beginning of the TB. And by lengthing, you gain even more side to side clearance from the JWT to the battery, and an even better fitment of the support rod that holds up the intake (that is, if you decide to install it). Be sure to only hand tighten your 4 bolts from the MAF to the Intake (use a 10mm socket w/o a rachet and hand tighten with that). Since the support rod is still not exactly parallel to the surface of the MAF, if you overtighten, you might crack your MAF)

anyway, hopefully this will be a useful post to anyone else who receives their midpipe.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:09 PM
JsL

This is very helpful. I was planning to do this, but with an APEXI filter. I heard APEXI, although smaller, is better in terms of flow and filtration. The APEXI filter looks weird and I have no idea how to even start installing it. Take a look at where it mounts on http://www.apexi-usa.com/intake_powerintake.asp I don't think this will have an oversize fitment issue because the JWT and stillen comes with a 6" velocity stack. Thanx for posting your finds
Old 07-21-2002, 07:51 PM
syc

cool man. I'll wait for your pic to see how well it is.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:32 PM

results

This is the midpipe when I got it to actually fit...no space between the pipe closest to the midpipe/maf coupler though.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...39_54_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...39_55_full.jpg

Sorry for the crappy dark pic, just took it. has a space now, as you can see. Between the pipe closest to the maf and the coupler itself. This provides much better clearance near the battery, since the midpipe's overall length is longer. Also, do you notice the slight angle on the coupler connecting the TB to the midpipe? (Steve says that's ok). I was sure to make that clamp a tiny bit tighter than the others to ensure a leak-free intake.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...39_56_full.jpg

Results in a another thread

edit: here is another pic of a nice fitting bracket for the JWT. Remember not to overtighten! Can't emphasize that enough:

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...39_57_full.jpg
Old 07-22-2002, 04:46 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

hey guys i'm back i was away for the weekend. i've personally installed a midpipe with a Stillen intake, pretty much the same thing as a JWT, if you put the coupler on the throttle body first and clamp it down then DO NOT use the JWT bracket and install the rest of teh system it will fit with the slight bend in the coupler being normal.

-steve
Old 07-22-2002, 10:47 AM

heheh whats a coupler?
Old 07-22-2002, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2
hey guys i'm back i was away for the weekend. i've personally installed a midpipe with a Stillen intake, pretty much the same thing as a JWT, if you put the coupler on the throttle body first and clamp it down then DO NOT use the JWT bracket and install the rest of teh system it will fit with the slight bend in the coupler being normal.

-steve
So are you saying if you don't clamp the coupler to the TB first, you CAN use the JWT bracket? Because that is exactly what I did. I let the coupler to the TB have as much free play as possible, and then when I got everything to fit (including the braket) I tightened the last clamp on the TB coupler.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:38 AM

Solution: get an Optima battery...it's smaller heheheeee.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Lime
Solution: get an Optima battery...it's smaller heheheeee.
Yeah, I was actually thinkin' about getting one of those yellow toppers.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:33 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

you don't even need the JWT bracket it's very stiff to begin with and without it it still sits fine.

-steve
Old 07-23-2002, 03:56 PM

Decided to install my midpipe (I also have a JWT intake). Went well, thanks to TurDz's tips. Intake definitely brought some more power back in 1st and 2nd gear. I dont know if its any louder, but it does get louder at lower RPMs than just a pop charger alone does. Anyways, thanks for the tips TurDz. Its worth the 55 bucks

shaz
Old 07-23-2002, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by shaz
Decided to install my midpipe (I also have a JWT intake). Went well, thanks to TurDz's tips. Intake definitely brought some more power back in 1st and 2nd gear. I dont know if its any louder, but it does get louder at lower RPMs than just a pop charger alone does. Anyways, thanks for the tips TurDz. Its worth the 55 bucks

shaz
shaz,

I'm glad I helped. I figured that if I put ever detail and ever issue that came up, the thread would be a good resource tool for any install.