4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

impossible to determine starting problem... need all solutions possible!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 11:08 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

impossible to determine starting problem... need all solutions possible!

Ok you guys. I've done searches like mad about this but it boggles my mind still. The problem IS NOT associated w/ my maxima... but my older car. It's an 89 Celica. I know u guys are more familiar w/ maximas of course but this is a general problem and i don't think it would make real difference but i need everyone's thought on this one. Ok here's the situation:

89 Celica GT.... it's got about 170k miles on it and its still running strong. I've done everything possible to that car but i've narrowed down my starting problem to the aftermarket alarm system on it and the pyscho audio system in it. This problem developed after those were installed so i'm thinkin its an electrical problem... but i'm not sure al the components that would lead to this. The wiring in the car is CRAZY... u'd never find more wires in a car than in there...

anywho the problem comes around almost every summer... so its definately the HEAT. whenever the car is run for long periods of times, the car refuses to start. the only thing u will hear when u turn the key (well now push button start) is just *click*. Eventually the car will start after turning key/pushing button over and over. Ok so u all are thinking STICKY SOLENOID. The problem w/ that is its on its freakin FOURTH starter!!!! the 4th time the starter was installed... the mechanic attempting starting it and guess what.. CLICK. so then we came up w/ the aftermarket alarm messed up because it has that "start kill". perhaps a sticky/damaged relay in the alarm? maaaaaybe... so what we did was wire in a push button starter which bypassed the alarm system. (wired it into the fuse box... to switch-pushbutton... to starter). This worked! car started every time... till summer came around.

I don't understand it... perhaps its the ****ty battery in the car? i think the audio system damages the battery or something because the car will start EVERYTIME u jump it. it would start on its first try when connected to anotehr battery.

So yea, that's what i know about it. OMG i just realized how long this is... sorry. i really need help, and after bein on this board for a couple months i realized u guys kno WAY MORE than the mechanics i've had to work w/ . My last question is something that i'm not too familiar with... could it be related to something else? perhaps spark plugs.. or something. The car's maintenance history isn't too well... the car was not used on a regular basis for 3 years. I just feel bad because after having the car for a year and now givnig it to my brother... he's stuck w/ it. My knowledge about this still sucks alot so if i've made a mistake about something sorry. thanks for ure help in advance
Old 07-22-2002, 11:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if the alarm system uses a magnetic relay, it is possible it is sticking, but since there is not a whole lot of current running through that relay, i dont see why they would not just use a more reliable solid state realy. oh well, just a guess.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:37 AM

What does your "psycho" audio system consist of - especially of concern would be the number and wattage of your power amps.

Your audio system could be asking for more electrical power than your alternator can provide, - especially if you have neons or any other high-current devices running as well - and so it drains your battery trying to find some more "juice".

If things get hot under your hood, your battery efficiency also drops.

You also mention that there's a lot of crazy wiring in your car. Is it all the proper gauge for the job it has to do, and is everything properly grounded?
Old 07-23-2002, 11:51 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by MChapel
What does your "psycho" audio system consist of - especially of concern would be the number and wattage of your power amps.

Your audio system could be asking for more electrical power than your alternator can provide, - especially if you have neons or any other high-current devices running as well - and so it drains your battery trying to find some more "juice".

If things get hot under your hood, your battery efficiency also drops.

You also mention that there's a lot of crazy wiring in your car. Is it all the proper gauge for the job it has to do, and is everything properly grounded?
I think the battery is too crappy to handle the stereo system . I know that the temprature under my hood is normal unless i've driven hard on a hot day... which is understandable.

The thing that gets me is that if it was the battery problem (which i'm fairly sure it is) then why would the car start normally after turning the key over and over. When it cranks... it cranks quick and normally. This would suck if it's a combonation of battery/starter.

Would ANY sticky (solenoid) starter crank immediately when jumped? Does it like give it that extra energy to become "unstuck"?
Old 07-23-2002, 12:29 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Listen where the *click* sound is coming from...
Under dash = alarm relay clicking
Under hood = not enough juice to starter or frozen starter
check by having headlight on and cranking it... dimming = battery

Some of the older Toyotas had a problem with mounting the starter too close to the exhaust manifolds where heat gets to them, though I thought this was more a problem with the RWD models.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:01 PM

Your problem might be fixed and you're just experiencing a bad battery. My last battery only lasted 4 months because I moved to Texas and the heat killed the battery. My stock battery last me 4+ years in California and still didn't go out, I just replaced it.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:09 PM

Re: impossible to determine starting problem... need all solutions possible!

i couldnt read the thread cause its way too long for me.
but
things i would do during the summer just incase you dont
turn off a/c and stereo b4 turning off the car.
i believe it helps.. you can tell when your car doesnt always start immediately.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:11 PM
I'm so hood

Do you ever notice any other problems in the audio system?

My friend with a 93 Probe actually shares quite similar symptoms. He's pretty sure his battery is going out. Aftermarket alarm, single battery / stock alt with 2 Xtant amps. One thing I notice in his car is that the audio system has quite a bit of power flux. If he wraps around a turn quickly or hits a bump in the front end, the sound will sometimes dim out almost completely, and randomly comes back on at full volume later on. He got his starter replaced and the problem still happens, so if you find a solution, could you add it to this post? Thanks man...I hope it's just a new battery that solves it.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:11 PM

i dont know about maximas but my z had the same problem. it ended up being the ptu, the thing that suppiles the power to the coils on top of the spark plugs. I know maximas have direct ignition too but im just taking a guess at what it could be.