4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Full Custom 'Quiet' Exhaust System with future SC and MEVI in mind

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 09:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need Full Custom 'Quiet' Exhaust System with future SC and MEVI in mind

The title says it all.
I am going to be competing in sound quality audio competition, so the idling volume has to be MINIMAL and no bees in a can any other rattling, and i will not tolorate any ricey sound.

only deep rumbling, no lawn mowers. of course i want the power gains, but if it adds more noise than power, rule it out.

i want to do it all at once as well as a pacesetter sts (and new **** and boot)

so, basically, i want to have the least restrictive exhaust so that the SC and MEVI will perform optimally with only loud growling at WOT.

parts can be y-pipe, b-pipe, cat, cat-back, muffler or any combination of the above.

feel free to flame if this has been asked before, but i couldnt find anything about full custom quiet exhausts.

thanks in advance!

EDIT: BTW, i still need to be able to pass emissions
Old 07-23-2002, 10:42 PM

after searching a lot more, i think that maybe a warpspeed (just seem to like it over budget for no apparent reason) y-pipe, and apex'i catback would make a nice combo and maybe a RT or warpspeed cat, please advise on how loud this would (or wouldnt) be and if the cat is needed.

thanks!
Old 07-25-2002, 06:54 AM
living out of a maxima...

Originally posted by Miasma
after searching a lot more, i think that maybe a warpspeed (just seem to like it over budget for no apparent reason) y-pipe, and apex'i catback would make a nice combo and maybe a RT or warpspeed cat, please advise on how loud this would (or wouldnt) be and if the cat is needed.

thanks!
I have yet to hear anyone else's setup, but after searching a whole bunch I've reached the same conclusion as you... WSP y-pipe (can't even say "budget") RT Cat and either apex'i catback or WSP b-pipe and maybe flomaster or stock muffler.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Need Full Custom 'Quiet' Exhaust System with future SC and MEVI in mind

My exhaust setup is a older cattman y-pipe, carsound cat, warpspeed b-pipe without resonator and the stock muffler. I recently added the carsound cat and warpspeed b-pipe. When I just had a y-pipe installed the exhaust had a little rumble to it. Now with the carsound cat and warpspeed b-pipe without resonator installed the exhaust is a couple db higher. Compared to other maximas running an aftermarket muffler I think my exhaust system is quieter. The few hp I would gain with a aftermarket muffler is not worth the extra noise for me.
Old 07-25-2002, 03:24 PM

i REALLY like the look of the apexi catback system, not ricey, not too loud, just really sexy , and a y pipe is an essential performance upgrade, i dont really see a reason to do the cat if mine is still working fine, is there a reason but for 2-5HP?
Old 07-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Miasma
i REALLY like the look of the apexi catback system, not ricey, not too loud, just really sexy , and a y pipe is an essential performance upgrade, i dont really see a reason to do the cat if mine is still working fine, is there a reason but for 2-5HP?
I replaced my cat when I did my b-pipe because I had 103,000 miles on my max and the cat bolts were rusted heaps. It was easier for me to cut the cat out and replace it with a new one when I put the b-pipe in.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:25 PM

i think i am kinda lucky here since my y pipe was removed last week for my tranny rebuild, so, as long as the cat is in good condition, it is staying... for now