4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

for those with s/c and n20...small details help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 12:05 AM

for those with s/c and n20...small details help please

OK, so i install a s/c..put a smaller pulley on (like a 3.33) then is my exhuast going to choke with my budget ypipe going to a "cut off" resonator and stock muffler? THis is all 2.5" right? Wouldn't I kneed to get larger pipes after the y (whcich I am fidna get a catmann lined flex ypipe)

To make this more simple: If I had 1)v2 s/c with 3.33 pulley and 2) NX import kit (35-55-75 shot) what is the best thing to do to the exhaust to improve performance without getting loud, sleep is good, hehe. I just think that maybe the pipe diameter for the exhaust should be larger. I want to use the stock muffler, but wtf? what's the best thing to do if you are first, running a s/c with like 6-7 psi, and then adding about a 50 dry shot? thanks for ideas and opinions and pictures especially.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:09 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

You don't have to do it all at once... relax... The exhaust you have will do for now... Have the 'main course' first ... worry about 'dessert' later.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:14 AM

Sounds normal but I just want to know this stuff, like the best exhaust for s/c that isn't loud, how big the piping needs to be from head to toe, and what about headers? How much would those help with a s/c? I know it's a lot, but I know there are some people on this board that can help....believe me, a showroom floor max with a v1 s/c would be candy to me, but thanks for helping....later
Old 07-25-2002, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by jaxima
Sounds normal but I just want to know this stuff, like the best exhaust for s/c that isn't loud, how big the piping needs to be from head to toe, and what about headers? How much would those help with a s/c? I know it's a lot, but I know there are some people on this board that can help....believe me, a showroom floor max with a v1 s/c would be candy to me, but thanks for helping....later
I think you are getting somethings confused with others. The "loudness" of any exhaust is not always due to size. The loudness usually comes more directly from lack of resistance (free flowing cat, Y, Muffler) and lack of resonator/muffler to "muffle" the exiting gases. In other words, just because you go up to a 3" pipe and keep stock everything else will probably net a "deeper" or "throaty" sound, but not really "louder". Louder comes from Y, free flow cat, no resonator, free flowing muffler. I have heard some cars with 2.5" all the way back with the combo named above that is very loud. I have also heard cars with Y, stock cat, stock muffler that are pretty mellow.

If you are trying to stay quiet but still yield gains, I would suggest Y and everything else stock. If you are looking to help the s/c or N2O, then you go Y, better cat, better muffler, bigger pipe. Basically it all depends on what you are willing to compromise. Performance or sound. BTW, bigger piping and less restrictions on the exhaust really helps any mods, especially s/c, turbo, and N2O, but it is not going to totally wipe out gains if you don't. Just minimize them. Hope this long winded answer helps.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've heard from BrianV and others on this board that a stock CatBack with a Y-Pipe and SC takes about 30hp from the system.

30hp seems to me to not be a minimal loss....that's a good 10-15%.

(Let's assume that with the SC you're at least at 230hp.)

I've been told that if i got a full CatBack System, my current 231hp (without the MEVI) would jump to 255-265hp.

IanS
Old 07-25-2002, 09:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by iansw
I've heard from BrianV and others on this board that a stock CatBack with a Y-Pipe and SC takes about 30hp from the system.

30hp seems to me to not be a minimal loss....that's a good 10-15%.

(Let's assume that with the SC you're at least at 230hp.)

I've been told that if i got a full CatBack System, my current 231hp (without the MEVI) would jump to 255-265hp.

IanS

Do you really want to sacrifice noise over performance????

if noise is your issue just get a 2k plus exhaust and get all aftermarket catback and b pipe and you will be good!!!