4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

turbo question (oil return)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 10:24 PM

turbo question (oil return)

how do you all have your oil return lines from the turbo running? where did you dump the oil back in? I heard from nigel into the valve cover , and i heard from another guy the upper oil pan thing (above oil filter)...

the valve cover idea sounds waaay easier, but can someone post some pics PLEEEASE!!! of how their setup looks where the oil returns, and also if you can of where you get the oil (although i think ive got that down)

thanks in advance
Old 07-31-2002, 07:53 AM
VR6Jim

The easiest way is to run it back into your oil pan.

Take your pan off and drill a hole in it high up on one of the walls. Put a fitting on it that your oil line will attach to. Thread the oil line fitting into the pan. Either have somebody aluminum weld it or use JB weld which acctually does work. Attach the fitting and away you go.

If you ever want to sell your car, it's cheaper to buy an oil pan than a valve cover.

Besides that, the oil return line on 99% of all turbo's out there is on the bottom of the turbo. For you to run it back up into your valve cover you would have to run a 180deg bend in a line back upwards. The oil going through the turbo is only lightly pressurized and I wouldn't think putting the strain on the oil making it run uphill to the valve cover would be a good idea. Turbo's already super heat oil as it is, now your running that oil back into your valve cover. I have never heard of anybody doing this. Just run it out of the bottom of your turbo directly into your oil pan. That's the easiest way, plus it's downhill and helps the oil circulate through the turbo easier. That's why the oil feed is on the top and oil return is from the bottom of a turbo. Top from the valve cover to the turbo, bottom from the turbo to the oil pan. it's that easy.

Old 07-31-2002, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by VR6Jim
now your running that oil back into your valve cover. I have never heard of anybody doing this. Just run it out of the bottom of your turbo directly into your oil pan. That's the easiest way, plus it's downhill and helps the oil circulate through the turbo easier. That's why the oil feed is on the top and oil return is from the bottom of a turbo. Top from the valve cover to the turbo, bottom from the turbo to the oil pan. it's that easy.
I understand what you are saying and I think the oil pan is probably smarter, just an extra day of work I feel like. Oh, and someone who runs it into the valve cover, is Nigel, who makes the turbo kits for everyone... he said that you put your turbo up high and have it slight downhill to the valve (tap under the breather part).. that would jsut be soooooo much easier,

now i dont know.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:56 AM
VR6Jim

Originally posted by hlh0501

I understand what you are saying and I think the oil pan is probably smarter, just an extra day of work I feel like. Oh, and someone who runs it into the valve cover, is Nigel, who makes the turbo kits for everyone... he said that you put your turbo up high and have it slight downhill to the valve (tap under the breather part).. that would jsut be soooooo much easier,

now i dont know.
OK, if its still running downhill to the valve cover because the turbo is high up then that would be sorta ok. The theory is correct. Still I dunno about putting super heated oil into the valve cover. Your supposed to put it to the oil pan like very other turbo car out there, but that is typically done because that's the lowest point below the turbo and the oil would run uphill going back to the valve cover on any other car.

I think if it was me, I would tap the oil pan regardless. Your putting a turbo on, don't worry about 1 extra days work. I have had 3 turbo cars now and they have all been this way. 2 were turbo from the factory (both Talon's), 1 was a conversion. (GTI 8V turbo)

If he does it this way and it works then It must be ok because it's working now on other cars. However myself, I would change it just because running to the oil pan is how I have always done it in the past, and that is what I am used to.