4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just got y-pipe install quote...suprised

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 02:08 PM

Just got y-pipe install quote...suprised

i just went to a local muffler shop and they quoted me $130 for install!! i was thinkin more around $50 for something i could do myself if i had a way to jack the car up! But i went to Tuffy after amd they said to come back on saturday bc the manager wont be there to see them installing an illegal pipe so ill see how much they charge for it...what have other people paid?
Old 08-06-2002, 02:15 PM

Re: Just got y-pipe install quote...suprised

Originally posted by 95maxgxe
i just went to a local muffler shop and they quoted me $130 for install!! i was thinkin more around $50 for something i could do myself if i had a way to jack the car up! But i went to Tuffy after amd they said to come back on saturday bc the manager wont be there to see them installing an illegal pipe so ill see how much they charge for it...what have other people paid?
$100 the first time, $60 the second and $45 the third. instal/unistal/instal...damn Cattman fitment issues!

but, $130 is crazy...tell them to go shove a rusty pipe up their ****.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

go buy a jack and stands for $50 and do it yourself
Old 08-06-2002, 02:59 PM
CJP

I had it done at the local meineke for $40 cash. Did a real good job.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:02 PM
JsL

130!!??!

That can get you all the tools you need to DIY. I'd say go somewhere else.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:18 PM
XtremeHKS

Originally posted by JsL
130!!??!

That can get you all the tools you need to DIY. I'd say go somewhere else.
If you live in phoenix i can do the install for u for like 50 bucks.

Old 08-06-2002, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Miasma
go buy a jack and stands for $50 and do it yourself
Im with him. Its not hard at all. It took me about 1 hour to do install my Stillen Y.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:41 PM

$30 but it was done by a mechanic friend
Old 08-06-2002, 03:56 PM

A smaller muffler/brake shop did mine for $50, no questions asked. You're getting raped royaly if you pay $130.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:02 PM

I paid $50 at a private race team owned shop. Midas asked for $100 to install the y-pipe and full catback
Old 08-06-2002, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
I paid $50 at a private race team owned shop. Midas asked for $100 to install the y-pipe and full catback

$50 for ajack try $34.00 with tax, Sears has a jack with jack stands for 29.99 I purchased another yesterday. They are on sale this week so go pick one up. That is very very cheap. A ypipe install is too easy if you pay that amount of money just dont even mod your car, installation is very simple. Some people probably had fitment issues since they didnt know what they are doing. I thought I had fitment issue, but it wasnt a fitment issue it was a mechanic issue. install the center first and then push forward and Ypipe will go right in for snug fit!!!
Old 08-06-2002, 06:48 PM

try some small muffler shops, i wouldnt pay more than 50 for the install
Old 08-07-2002, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by JAY25

$50 for ajack try $34.00 with tax, Sears has a jack with jack stands for 29.99 I purchased another yesterday. They are on sale this week so go pick one up. That is very very cheap. A ypipe install is too easy if you pay that amount of money just dont even mod your car, installation is very simple. Some people probably had fitment issues since they didnt know what they are doing. I thought I had fitment issue, but it wasnt a fitment issue it was a mechanic issue. install the center first and then push forward and Ypipe will go right in for snug fit!!!
Jay25,

What kind (make/model) of jack/jack stands did you purchase from Sears? I checked their web-site & I see hundreds of different ones. I am not quite sure which ones to buy (how much tonnage, etc?).

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by XtremeHKS

If you live in phoenix i can do the install for u for like 50 bucks.
Got the same problem here...
3 quotes...$200, $180 and $160...for Y pipe, test pipe and a muffler..

I look up under the car..but the factory y pipe seems so rusty.....
Did you have to torch the bolts first?..
the bolts on the cat are easy to heat them up, but the ones that close to engine manifol are impossible to heat up right??

BTW I have a 95 SE 5 speed and I live in wisconsin...
If I live close to you..I will have you install the Y for sure..
Old 08-07-2002, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by dedek

the bolts on the cat are easy to heat them up, but the ones that close to engine manifol are impossible to heat up right??

Our problem (besides living in WI) is that shops around here charge insane prices for everything.

When I was looking to get my suspension done they wanted 400 bucks just for the install. Ummm, no. I sucked it up, bought $100 worth of nice tools and learned something by doing it myself.

The cheapest place around here w/ a Hunter balancing machine just charged me $85 to mount and balance some tires on new rims. Let me remind you, I said CHEAPEST, and I looked at about 10 places. Just about every other place I tried said they weren't going to touch 17 x 8 aftermarket rims.

Don't get me wrong, I love Madison, but the shops around here are just too country. They're afraid/refuse to work on anything w/ tint or aftermarket anything. I do ALL my work myself, unless I don't have/can't get the proper tools. (I don't have a Hunter in the garage...although I wish I did)

Sorry for the rant. This has been a "month from hell" as far as service goes. Three places "attempted" to mount my tires and returned my car to me saying that their machine couldn't do it.
Old 08-07-2002, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by maxima4me

Our problem (besides living in WI) is that shops around here charge insane prices for everything.

When I was looking to get my suspension done they wanted 400 bucks just for the install. Ummm, no. I sucked it up, bought $100 worth of nice tools and learned something by doing it myself.

The cheapest place around here w/ a Hunter balancing machine just charged me $85 to mount and balance some tires on new rims. Let me remind you, I said CHEAPEST, and I looked at about 10 places. Just about every other place I tried said they weren't going to touch 17 x 8 aftermarket rims.

Don't get me wrong, I love Madison, but the shops around here are just too country. They're afraid/refuse to work on anything w/ tint or aftermarket anything. I do ALL my work myself, unless I don't have/can't get the proper tools. (I don't have a Hunter in the garage...although I wish I did)

Sorry for the rant. This has been a "month from hell" as far as service goes. Three places "attempted" to mount my tires and returned my car to me saying that their machine couldn't do it.
Have you install Y pipe in your car?
was it hard to loosen the bolts? What year is your car?
Do you think you can install a Y on my car for a charge?
Old 08-07-2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by stembe

Jay25,

What kind (make/model) of jack/jack stands did you purchase from Sears? I checked their web-site & I see hundreds of different ones. I am not quite sure which ones to buy (how much tonnage, etc?).

Thanks.
I bought the 2 1/4 ton craftsman jack with two jack stands for $29.99 plus $3.?? in change for tax.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:13 PM

Have you install Y pipe in your car?
was it hard to loosen the bolts? What year is your car?
Do you think you can install a Y on my car for a charge?
I know your probably not asking me this

you will need two 3/8 extensions, 14MM socket with universal joint, some liquid wrench and also a 12MM socket to remove the brackets. A breaker bar with a adapter from 1/2 to 3/8 will be very useful to loosen the nuts.

I installed and removed my stock Ypipe with a jack and jack stands, was it easy yes.

Believe me if you lived any where near Ga Id just charge $40 to install Ypipe and test pipe!!!and you can relax upstairs while I do this 1.5 hour installation.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dedek, where do you live in Wisconsin? I also live in wisconsin(pewaukee) and also have a 95 SE 5spd. What color is your max? Do you go down to hwy 100 ever? im j/w because i see a group of maximas cruising down there and i just got my max.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by 95CustomMaxima

Dedek, where do you live in Wisconsin? I also live in wisconsin(pewaukee) and also have a 95 SE 5spd. What color is your max? Do you go down to hwy 100 ever? im j/w because i see a group of maximas cruising down there and i just got my max.
I live in Milwaukee. I went to hwy 100 a couple times..but never bring my Max...and if I do....it's just look like regular Max...I didn't put modification that visible from outside...auto theft in Milwaukee is so bad.

It seems that we have same year and 5 speed...mine is blue..what's yours..
Do yo know any muffler shop that can install a Y pipe with a relatively cheap price in Pewaukee?
Old 08-08-2002, 12:06 AM

I live in Milwaukee. I went to hwy 100 a couple times..but never bring my Max...and if I do....it's just look like regular Max...I didn't put modification that visible from outside...auto theft in Milwaukee is so bad.

It seems that we have same year and 5 speed...mine is blue..what's yours..
Do yo know any muffler shop that can install a Y pipe with a relatively cheap price in Pewaukee?
My max is green...and no i havent found any places cheap yet...i'm also looking for a place to install a y pipe....if i can't find anybody reasonable im gonns do it myself.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:37 AM

Hey guys, sorry it took a while to get back to you, but work is killin' me. I personally haven't installed a y-pipe myself, but I think I would try it myself if/when I get one. I just installed new springs and rotors, so I can't see installing a y-pipe being much harder. Maybe I should use this as an excuse to buy one

95CustomMaxima: I spend a lot of weekends in Pewaukee. Some of my friends live on Lake Beullah (spelling) and they sail all the time.

Dedek: My GF lives in MKE, so I'll be there on the weekends starting in Septemeber.

Maybe we should have a 3 Max meet and get those y-pipes installed. It always helps to have other people around in case you get in a jam. BTW I have an evergreen 96 autotragic, converted into an automagic.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:51 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

if you cant do it yourself, i had to get a guy to put new nuts on my cat and headers cuz he wouldnt put an aftermarket pipe on himself,
why dont yall take a short drive down to chicago, its no more than 2 hours and then have a nice fun drive on the way home playing around with your new toy. there should be tons of shops there. just go to the midwest forum and ask around
Old 08-08-2002, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by maxima4me
Hey guys, sorry it took a while to get back to you, but work is killin' me. I personally haven't installed a y-pipe myself, but I think I would try it myself if/when I get one. I just installed new springs and rotors, so I can't see installing a y-pipe being much harder. Maybe I should use this as an excuse to buy one

95CustomMaxima: I spend a lot of weekends in Pewaukee. Some of my friends live on Lake Beullah (spelling) and they sail all the time.

Dedek: My GF lives in MKE, so I'll be there on the weekends starting in Septemeber.

Maybe we should have a 3 Max meet and get those y-pipes installed. It always helps to have other people around in case you get in a jam. BTW I have an evergreen 96 autotragic, converted into an automagic.
What year/color is your max? do you got any mods? Also do you ride on hwy 100 ever? I every once and a while see a group of about 5 maximas...mostly 4 gens down there and i meet up with some of these other maximas.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:28 AM

I agree with Slimer--you WI people should drive down to Chicago and get your stuff done here. Plenty of shops that are willing to do the work for much less than what you're paying. I've had my y-pipe, red/clear tails, catback exhaust, rims/tires, tints etc all professionally installed, and never paid too much for labor.....
Old 08-08-2002, 11:36 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

yeah, the reason that i said it was because when i lived with my parents in the western suburbs, i had a friend in milwaukee and another in madison and i convinced them to come down and get installation in chicago, so then they started to come down like every other month to get work done. it seems like a viable option.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:55 PM

I'd have to agree w/ driving to Chi to get things installed. I prefer to do it myself, but if I were to get something serious installed I would definitely make the trip.