4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

valve body or torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 02:29 PM

valve body or torque converter

i am running n/a and plan on staying that way for a little while. I heard from several members that you shouldn't get the vb mod, because of no differences in performance, would a beefed up torque converter make a more noticable difference in performance. I would like to do what i can to make my auto i30 move like a 5-speed. all input would be helpful in my decision.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:31 PM

Re: valve body or torque converter

Originally posted by 96'i30Man
i am running n/a and plan on staying that way for a little while. I heard from several members that you shouldn't get the vb mod, because of no differences in performance, would a beefed up torque converter make a more noticable difference in performance. I would like to do what i can to make my auto i30 move like a 5-speed. all input would be helpful in my decision.
TCU controller so that you don't find yourself in 3rd gear doing 15 mph, and the vb mod for harder/quicker shifting. After these two you'll ask yourself. Who needs a 5-speed?
Old 08-06-2002, 02:40 PM

Re: Re: valve body or torque converter

Originally posted by Chino

TCU controller so that you don't find yourself in 3rd gear doing 15 mph, and the vb mod for harder/quicker shifting. After these two you'll ask yourself. Who needs a 5-speed?
what exactly is a tcu controller, and I bet it is expensive??
Old 08-06-2002, 03:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: valve body or torque converter

what exactly is a tcu controller, and I bet it is expensive??
Say you are in heavy traffic. You know how your transmition will shift all the way up to 3rd (even 4th if you have OD on) even though you are going 15mph! With this you will probably keep in 1st gear up until atleast 20 mph. I'm not sure exactly what the shift points are. It basically makes your engine shift how a sporty driver would shift to his advantage if he had a 5 speed. So if you decide to floor it it probably wouldn't have to down shift from 3rd to 2nd just to get a better launch because it would have remained on 2nd gear according to your speed. It basically gives you the benefit of the stick without the heartache of actually shifting yourself.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:23 PM
maxroadrage

where could you find a tcu controller?

Old 08-06-2002, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by maxroadrage
where could you find a tcu controller?
www.cattman.com
Old 08-06-2002, 04:00 PM

so in essence i could pay 550 for the tcu, and at least 500 for vb mod, 5-speed conversion would run like 2000. tough choice. what do you all think???? my car has 71k and it is a 1996. tranny is still fine.

cai, y-pipe, fstb, rsb, agx ajustables, eibach prokit, 18's with 235/40/18 kumhos
Old 08-06-2002, 04:45 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

well that price for conversion is variable....... check craig mack's post.... he did it all for 1200....... i guees ur maybe factoring labor in there 2? For 1000, it's much more worth getting the swap done.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by seximagtr
well that price for conversion is variable....... check craig mack's post.... he did it all for 1200....... i guees ur maybe factoring labor in there 2? For 1000, it's much more worth getting the swap done.
I would probably go for the 5-speed conversion AS LONG as you know what you are doing or who you are dealing with. This is something that must be done correctly in every aspect. In other words don't let someone with little experience do it. As far as the TCU/VB mod, I would recommend if shifting manually is annoying to you otherwise convert!
Old 08-07-2002, 12:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Want a 5 speed? Buy a 5 speed! I did! Well granted, I got lucky and just stumbled onto it. If you do a swap, you will definately want to get a VLSD. A 5spd i30 without it would be ghey.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:14 PM

I would do the drop resistor mod, its much faster shifing than the VB mod anyway and go with the torque convertor.

If you are planning on going a lot faster in the future, even the torque convertor won't help much. I am doing a 1.8 60' now with just the above and don't think the torque convertor would help that much although I am guessing. If you are going to stay N/A and dont plan on going any quicker than high 13's or low 14's the torque convertor will make a much greater difference.

The reason I say that is that as soon as I come out of the hole I hit the juice ie like 2500 and it rips like crazy so a TC wouldn't help much.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Jime

I would do the drop resistor mod, its much faster shifing than the VB mod anyway and go with the torque convertor.

If you are planning on going a lot faster in the future, even the torque convertor won't help much. I am doing a 1.8 60' now with just the above and don't think the torque convertor would help that much although I am guessing. If you are going to stay N/A and dont plan on going any quicker than high 13's or low 14's the torque convertor will make a much greater difference.

The reason I say that is that as soon as I come out of the hole I hit the juice ie like 2500 and it rips like crazy so a TC wouldn't help much.
I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A DROP RESISTER MOD, IS IT LIKE THE VB MOD?????? BY THE WAY TO ALL WHO RESPONDED, I DONT LIKE THE IDEA OF HAVING SOMEONE SWAP MY TRANNY FOR A 5-SPEED, TOO RISKY, AND I CANT HAVE MY CAR DOWN LIKE AT ALL. WHO MAKES THIS MOD??
Old 08-07-2002, 03:30 PM

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A DROP RESISTER MOD, IS IT LIKE THE VB MOD?????? BY THE WAY TO ALL WHO RESPONDED, I DONT LIKE THE IDEA OF HAVING SOMEONE SWAP MY TRANNY FOR A 5-SPEED, TOO RISKY, AND I CANT HAVE MY CAR DOWN LIKE AT ALL. WHO MAKES THIS MOD??
Which mod? TCU is available thru www.cattman.com and the 5 speed is done by no one in particular. Maybe yourself and a few buddies. Or a transmition expert who is trustworthy.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:36 PM

The drop resistor mod is free. Well you have to have a switch but pretty close to free.

http://bgarner.tripod.com/1995nissanmaxima/id3.html

Check here it makes the trans shift a full line pressure I have used it for over 6 months now at the track. Its a bit too harsh for regular driving but for the track its the only way to go for an auto. Much faster shifting than the VB Mod.

BTW ur caps is stuck.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:42 PM
I'm needing a caw

I've unhooked the drop resister in a VE auto. For normal driving, it SUCKED. Probably very hard on the tranny the way it just banged into the next gear. At heavy throttle it was okay.

Don's VB modification is MUCH more involved than just hooking up a switch to the resistor.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:53 PM

Its been covered in dept before, but since I feel like post whoring I'm going to post the same info again. If you want an auto to be fast off the line, 2 things must be done.

1. Get a higher stall convertor, www.protorque.com supplys L10 with theirs but, protorques are only $395.

2. Buy some 205/50-15 tires to go on some lightweight 15in rims. It might not look the best but your getting the equalvent of a 4.0-4.10 final gear.

Simulation results have shown a 2 tenth drop and 2mph gain in automagics from the gear alone. Now if you were able to really drive the car good and cut 2.0-2.2x 60fts. The auto would run around 14.7-14.9s with I/Y/E.

EDIT: Here is the proof: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=protorque
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=protorque
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=protorque
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ght=205%2F5015

Old 08-07-2002, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I've unhooked the drop resister in a VE auto. For normal driving, it SUCKED. Probably very hard on the tranny the way it just banged into the next gear. At heavy throttle it was okay.

Don's VB modification is MUCH more involved than just hooking up a switch to the resistor.
True but it costs $450, involves a lot of work and doesn't improve performance, the drop resistor does.

It actually reduced my 1/4 mile time by .3 secs and no one has proven the VB mod can do that.

Until someone can beat my 1.8 60' (proven by timeslip) I think my method is best (unti someone comes up with a better one).

BTW The info for the drop resistor mod come from the site of one of the moderators of this forum.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:28 PM

I have to tell you, the VB mod is shifting almost
instantly, so how can you determine the resistor "mod" is faster? Did
you time the speed of the shifts? Also, any Torque Convertor at a higher
flash/stall speed will definitely get you off the line faster, but its
harder on the drivetrain.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Rick2001

who did your vb mod, because ive heard a lot of mixed reviews in regards to dons mod
Old 08-08-2002, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by Rick2001

I know it shifts faster because it does it at full line pressure and the VB Mod doesn't. Its not just faster it instantaneous.

It shifts so fast its no good for everyday driving thats why the vb mod does it at a lower pressure because its permanent you can't turn it on and off like the drop resistor mod.

Besides I get faster 1/4 times doing it and the vb mod doesn't.

A higher stall speed will get you off the line faster granted but the point I was making was that the faster your car is the less difference it makes. ie a 16 sec car will see a big improvement a 13 sec car won't. As soon someone with a high stall speed convertor beat my 1.8 60' I will consider buying one.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:08 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: valve body or torque converter

How can you say this? You never had this product in your car nor have you every tested this product in your car. Not a valid statement.

Trust me you don't want to ever drive w/ the resistor disconnected around town. It just goes "CLUNK" and it feels like crap. Try it if you don't believe me.

The resistor mode is ghetto IMHO. Don's vb mode works all the time and has very nice full throttle and part throttle shifts(from what I read) I can easily verify this as Ian has the VB mod and I could drive his car anyway I want to.

Besides I get faster 1/4 times doing it and the vb mod doesn't.

Old 08-08-2002, 04:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: valve body or torque converter

How can you say this? You never had this product in your car nor have you every tested this product in your car. Not a valid statement.

Trust me you don't want to ever drive w/ the resistor disconnected around town. It just goes "CLUNK" and it feels like crap. Try it if you don't believe me.

The resistor mode is ghetto IMHO. Don's vb mode works all the time and has very nice full throttle and part throttle shifts(from what I read) I can easily verify this as Ian has the VB mod and I could drive his car anyway I want to.

ANYONE ELSE WITH THE VB MOD HAVE ANY FEEDBACK?? I WANT TO KNOW IF I SHOULD GO THROUGH ALL THE BS FOR 450.00.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: valve body or torque converter

I can say it because many people on here have installed the vb mod and I have yet to see a before and after timeslip that can prove it did a better time. It doesn't have to installed on my car to do verify that.

I already said that its not for driving around town it a racing mod, thats why you hook it up to a switch.

Whether you can call it ghetto or not not really important. The important thing is that it works and does reduce the 1/4 mile time. I have raced with it and without it and it does work exactly like I said it does. (And I can prove it with a timeslip) It also saves the clutches on your transmission because of the faster shift time so much less heat is generated.

Regardless, don't you have a manual transmission?
Old 08-08-2002, 06:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: valve body or torque converter

who did your vb mod, because ive heard a lot of mixed reviews in regards to dons mod
Mixed reviews as to what?

I have heard only positive things about the mod.

If you want to spend $450 to lower your 1/4 time, this probably isn't the mod for you. The jury is still out on whether it will lower your 1/4 time. Some say yes, some say no.

However, it will prolong the life of your tranny. I've driven a car with the VB mod in and I liked it. I would spend the $450 just for the fact that it will prolong the life of the transmission.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:40 PM
Donating member? what the?!

Jeff The Moderator...
do you have a manual or automatic?
If automatic... do you have the VB modification?

Everyone and Anyone:
if you get the VB mod, don't you have to put a transmission fluid cooler in? From what I've read, the VB mod makes the A/T shift faster, and since it shifts faster, there's a lot of pressure on the fluid, creating more heat.

I have a 3Gen, and I'm not sure about the later generation Maximas, but the 3Gens have slow shifting transmissions, and that's what I though the VB mod is for... not really for performance but for longevity of the transmission.

What is everyone's take on the VB? Like some people... I don't feel like putting $500 out and not getting anything.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:48 PM

Why not get a torque convertor instead. It has instant gains right off the bat. Combined with shorter gearing, it couldn't be beat. Well until you break an axle .

Originally posted by super32
Jeff The Moderator...

Everyone and Anyone:
if you get the VB mod, don't you have to put a transmission fluid cooler in? From what I've read, the VB mod makes the A/T shift faster, and since it shifts faster, there's a lot of pressure on the fluid, creating more heat.

I have a 3Gen, and I'm not sure about the later generation Maximas, but the 3Gens have slow shifting transmissions, and that's what I though the VB mod is for... not really for performance but for longevity of the transmission.

What is everyone's take on the VB? Like some people... I don't feel like putting $500 out and not getting anything.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:50 PM

Jeff The Moderator...

Everyone and Anyone:

All the claims of the vb mod making the trans last longer are just that, claims. No can prove a mod makes a trans last longer because you can't prove how long it would have lasted in the first place. Therefore anyone can make great claims like that and no one can prove them wrong. Of course no one can prove them right either.

Sure the vb mod shifts faster but the drop resistor mod shifts even faster and being switchable gives you the best of both worlds.

You should have a trans cooler if you race regardless of what mods you have.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:47 PM
Donating member? what the?!

All the claims of the vb mod making the trans last longer are just that, claims. No can prove a mod makes a trans last longer because you can't prove how long it would have lasted in the first place. Therefore anyone can make great claims like that and no one can prove them wrong. Of course no one can prove them right either.

Sure the vb mod shifts faster but the drop resistor mod shifts even faster and being switchable gives you the best of both worlds.

You should have a trans cooler if you race regardless of what mods you have.
Before I say anything, I just wanted you to know I have a '91SE. The transmissions on the 4gens may have improved since the 3gen transmissions, or they might be the same. I don't know.

As I understand it, the reason the A/T are often referred to as being "weak" is becuase they shift so nice and soft. I was given the impression that Nissan purposely designed them to do this to have a bit of "luxury" style to the Maxima.
However, the sweet and soft shifts of the A/T are bad for the gears in the transmission. Maybe not the gear, but I assume something. When the A/T shifts slowly, it's almost like riding the clutch on a manual, while heavy on the gas.

See where I'm going? With a M/T, you can wear out the transmission by doing soft shifts; meaning if you have the clutch pressed in just between the engage and release points. That is what the A/T is doing in a sense. So when the A/T shifts soft like that, it's putting wear on the gears as it shifts from one to another.

What the VB mod is supposed to do is eliminate that soft shift and engage the A/T gears quicker. I know you already know about the VB and stuff like that. I learned about this stuff at www.maximadriver.com.

The reason I am afraid of placing a switch between the plugs for the drop down resistor for the A/T is because the springs on the stock VB is purposely weak for the luxury shift. I don't want to force those springs to shift faster or hard if they weren't made to do that.

I was also wondering. I know that you "unplug" your resistor on the track or wherever only for a short period, but do you have a Tranny Cooler?

LONG post, I know... sorry
Old 08-14-2002, 03:54 PM

I was also wondering. I know that you "unplug" your resistor on the track or wherever only for a short period, but do you have a Tranny Cooler?

LONG post, I know... sorry
Yes I wouldn't race without a cooler. I have a 11x11 B&M its listed on my sig.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:47 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I just bought a 7.5" x 12.25" cooler today. I will install it tomorrow. And I will install my valve body this Monday/Tuesday. Then, if everything goes well, I will be at the drag strip Thursday night running my car. And then, I will have before and after times for Don's VB mod... but I will also have a cooler with it. But, I wouldn't imagine the cooler to lower to times noticably by itself.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:47 PM

If it's just a resistor, why couldn't it just be swapped for a smaller one, to achieve the same results? (And you wouldn't have to deal w/ an SEL light after each use.)
Old 10-21-2002, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Stikya

If it's just a resistor, why couldn't it just be swapped for a smaller one, to achieve the same results? (And you wouldn't have to deal w/ an SEL light after each use.)
i was thinking along the same lines, but using a regulator switch so that you can set it on either "soft" "sport" or "track" kind of like in some 3rd gens (well, at least my aunt's) so you can go from like 1 to 10 and just move a little dial....
Old 10-22-2002, 09:47 AM

The resistor only tricks the tranny ecu into making full line pressure shifts. There's no way to control the amount of pressure unless you have a computer piggy back of some kind that could be dialed in to fit your needs.

The resistor is an inexpensive way to quicker shifts, the VB mod is more expensive but permanent. The jury is still out on either one improving times, but both are said to help prolong tranny life. I read somewhere a thread from over a year ago where a very knowledgeable Nissan Tech (Mr. Martin) stated that the resistor was not recommended due to added strain on the drive system. I may be mistaken though.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:13 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

I think you right jamie.. BUT I would do a tranyy cooler FIRST.. $50 or so.. and the spend the $$ for the other 2