4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Which Raybestos to get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 05:28 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Which Raybestos to get?

http://www.pepboys.com/products/brakepad.shtm

These pg plus raybestos are the quiet stops you guys are talking about? If not, anyone have any experience with these.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:34 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Those aren't the ones.

You have to go in person and order the Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic brake pads, they may also be referred to as Raybestos QS ceramic pads. They will most likely be a special order.

(Don't let anyone know I put this link down, as I'll get flamed)

Search results for "Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic"

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

Which yields at least one good post and gives you the part number:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t+stop+ceramic

In addition, going to www.partsamerica.com and entering my local zip code revealed that Raybestos Quiet Stop pads are available to order online:

Front:
PGD653QS $59.99

Unfortunately, it's not known if rear pads are available through their site. Using their part number convention, it should be PGD540QS. I would just call a local PepBoys and order the whole set if that's what you need.

Another acceptable front brake pad for all 89 to 99 Maximas is the 430 series, so you can also check the price/availability on the PGD430QS pads at PepBoys. They may be cheaper than the 653 series.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:46 AM

Thanks a lot, that alternate raybestos @ pepboiz that you mentioned, how quiet is it? I have these crappy albany pads on now and it sounds like metal on metal because of the squeeling. I just may go get some oem's and be done with it.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:10 PM

porterfields

i just had my fronts changed like 2 hours ago with porterfiedls r4s...seems to be good...not much squeal...but need to brake them in for like 100miles
Old 08-08-2002, 01:50 PM

I got my Quiet Stops from Pep Boys for $59.99 before tax. They were in stock also.

Great pads in my opinion. I have no braking vibrations at any speeds and they never make a peep. I might look into something cheaper at my next brake job, but I may not.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by seximagtr
Thanks a lot, that alternate raybestos @ pepboiz that you mentioned, how quiet is it? I have these crappy albany pads on now and it sounds like metal on metal because of the squeeling. I just may go get some oem's and be done with it.
Only purchase the Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic pads or don't bother. Their other choices are basically similar to OEM pads.

The two different "series" of pads (653 and 430) are almost virtually identical. As 97GLE stated, his were $59.99 and I'll bet that the part number was "PGD653QS". I was just giving you the 430 series part number in case you wanted to see if they were available/made by Raybestos and if so, how much they were.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:27 PM

pads

If I am not mistaken once you buy the Qs pads you can exchange the used pads for new ones as they are lifetime warranty.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:45 PM

Re: pads

Originally posted by nitroz
If I am not mistaken once you buy the Qs pads you can exchange the used pads for new ones as they are lifetime warranty.
I believe that only applies to the cheap metallic pads... not the QS's. But I could be wrong.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:17 PM

Re: Re: pads

Originally posted by 97GLE

I believe that only applies to the cheap metallic pads... not the QS's. But I could be wrong.
According to the partsamerica.com website, the quiet stop ceramic pads do indeed have a lifetime warranty.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: pads

ok so i bought the quiet stop/ installed them with new rotors in the front. I was breaking everything and noticed my front left side was smokin quite a bit. I put a lot of the goo on and just assumed that it's burnin/ melting off? Any ideas? or is my car just gonna explode?
Old 08-08-2002, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

According to the partsamerica.com website, the quiet stop ceramic pads do indeed have a lifetime warranty.
<cartman>Kick ***!!</cartman>
Old 08-08-2002, 07:26 PM

Bill, I'm not positive that the warranty includes replacement because you'll notice other brake pads on that site say Liftime Replacement as opposed to Liftime Warranty. I'm still looking for details... I guess I'll call them tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:42 AM

But if Pep Boys will replace them I will definatley let them do it.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: pads

ok so i bought the quiet stop/ installed them with new rotors in the front. I was breaking everything and noticed my front left side was smokin quite a bit. I put a lot of the goo on and just assumed that it's burnin/ melting off? Any ideas? or is my car just gonna explode?
Could be several things.

Did you compress the piston as far back as you could back into the caliper (I'm assuming yes here)?

Goo smoking is a possibility.

The pads breaking in is a possibility.

Left caliper piston could be seized.

I have to ask (don't be offended): is it possible some goo got on the side where the pad contacts the rotor?

Based on what you have posted, and seeing as how it's the left side only, I'm suspecting something didn't get back on right during re-installation.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pads

Everything is ok........ turns out that some excess goo dripped onto the rotor when the brakes were applied, they were just burning off. Now they have no smoke, and are just REALLY quiet, and offer a great grip. I'd recommend these pads to anyone.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:10 PM

Cool, glad you like them.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:50 PM

If you get the Raybestos QS, does that come with the shims and whatever else you need, or do you still need the brake kit from the dealer? And what pads do you use for the rears? My local parts store says there are no rear QS pads for the Max.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:03 PM

comes with adhesive shims, you don't need anything else. I put the goo on the pads between teh shims and pads just to make sure there's no vibration. Judging from the way the shim was made, you probably won't need the goo. BTW, the raybestos quiet stops come with lifetime warrenty. The guy @ pep boys said that whenever they wear out, bring the receipt and the pads and they'll exchange it no problem.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:33 PM

Those aren't the ones.

You have to go in person and order the Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic brake pads, they may also be referred to as Raybestos QS ceramic pads. They will most likely be a special order.

(Don't let anyone know I put this link down, as I'll get flamed)

Search results for "Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic"

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

Which yields at least one good post and gives you the part number:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t+stop+ceramic

In addition, going to www.partsamerica.com and entering my local zip code revealed that Raybestos Quiet Stop pads are available to order online:

Front:
PGD653QS $59.99

Unfortunately, it's not known if rear pads are available through their site. Using their part number convention, it should be PGD540QS. I would just call a local PepBoys and order the whole set if that's what you need.

Another acceptable front brake pad for all 89 to 99 Maximas is the 430 series, so you can also check the price/availability on the PGD430QS pads at PepBoys. They may be cheaper than the 653 series.
Thanks for the tips. According to the PartsAmerica site, the 653QS are the fronts, and the 540QS are the rears. The other Raybestos model lines were distinguished by the suffixes after the 653 and 540. Oddly, they only had the QS fronts show up in the Maxima search. I had to manually search for the 540QS. Is their site messed up, or does that info about the part numbers sound right?
Old 08-10-2002, 01:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have Raybestos QS Ceramics and hate them.

They dust like a ****.

IanS
Old 08-10-2002, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by iansw

They dust like a ****.

IanS

That's the first negative feedback I've heard on them, especially the dusting part.
Old 08-10-2002, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by voltman

Thanks for the tips. According to the PartsAmerica site, the 653QS are the fronts, and the 540QS are the rears. The other Raybestos model lines were distinguished by the suffixes after the 653 and 540. Oddly, they only had the QS fronts show up in the Maxima search. I had to manually search for the 540QS. Is their site messed up, or does that info about the part numbers sound right?
Obviously, I didn't search the right part number the other day, as I put in PGD540QS in partsamerica.com's part number search field this morning and got a hit:

Front:
PGD653QS $59.99

Rear:
PGD540QS $43.99
Old 08-10-2002, 07:32 AM

I think everything on this sight set me up to think that the QS's were the greatest thing since sliced bread when they are only really just a bit better in dusting then most quality pads. One thing I have noticed is that there dust is dark black unlike the rust color I've gotten from every other brand I've tried. Which I prefer, my rears just look shinier then the fronts when they have dust on them. Overall, I really like these pads, but you have to remember they're only pads, they can only do so much.

Ian, would you say they dust more then another pad then you've used?
If so maybe they were installed improperly...
Old 08-10-2002, 07:33 AM

That's the first negative feedback I've heard on them, especially the dusting part.
same here bill.......... As a matter of fact, my rims are still pretty brake dust free after~ 75 miles on them....
Old 08-15-2002, 10:44 PM

Finally got the Quiet Stops and am installing this weekend. The disk brake quiet goo goes on the outside of the included adhesive shims, right?
Old 08-16-2002, 05:12 AM

I put goo between the shim and the back of the pad. They're quiet.
Old 08-16-2002, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by 97GLE
I think everything on this sight set me up to think that the QS's were the greatest thing since sliced bread when they are only really just a bit better in dusting then most quality pads. One thing I have noticed is that there dust is dark black unlike the rust color I've gotten from every other brand I've tried. Which I prefer, my rears just look shinier then the fronts when they have dust on them. Overall, I really like these pads, but you have to remember they're only pads, they can only do so much.

Ian, would you say they dust more then another pad then you've used?
If so maybe they were installed improperly...
From what I understand, the Quiet Stops main advantages are:
  • Non-metallic in nature yields quieter stopping
  • Easier on Rotors
  • Longer Life
  • Good stopping ability compared to OEMs
  • Cheaper than Porterfields, although Porterfield isn't ceramic based as the Quiet Stops are
  • Lifetime Replacement

The first and last two in the list is what I would consider the main advantages over the Porterfields.

Having black brake dust doesn't mean they "dust more" than other pads, just that the dust is easier to see earlier on wheels than other pads.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:37 AM

I put goo between the shim and the back of the pad. They're quiet.
But if I did that, would the adhesive from the shim still work?

Did you get the hardware kit?

And where are the wear sensors on these?

Thanks. And sorry.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:36 AM

I didn't buy a hardware kit, The adhesive isn't a big deal because the calipar kinda sandwiches it all together and the two bumps on the shim keep it in line with the pad. I told you what I did, and it's working with no problems, the shims havent moved and they are still silent. Just make sure that you use those two v shaped springs and put them in the notches in the brake pads.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by iansw

They dust like a ****.

IanS
are you sure you have the QS pads, because i installed mine 400 miles ago and i still don't have any noticable breakdust on my rims.