4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

99 maxima vs. 2002 sentra se-r

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 11:09 AM

99 maxima vs. 2002 sentra se-r

After summer I was planning to get a 2003 sentra se-r telling everybody I knew I was gonna get that car. Than all of sudden my friend bought the car I was going to get. It annoyed the hell outta of me because we were gonna form a racing team. After I found out from friends that he got the car I was so really going to buy. I decided to keep and fix my 99 maxima. I still havent got any aftermarket parts yet I still searching which is the best parts for the 4rth generation maxima. Can a 99 maxima smoke the new 2002 sentra se-r? Please post your thoughts and recommend what parts i should get? THanx
Old 08-09-2002, 11:12 AM

Well it depends are you a automatic or a 5spd gxe?? If your auto stock for stock it will be close, I say torque brake it and youll be fine. Oh and if he isnt spec v you might have a chance in the auto. Just plant it to the floor and hope for the best.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

the best mod you can get is a supercharger.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:25 PM

let this be a lesson!

"Ask any racer" ha it's still a sentra. Just kidding anyhow. I was playing with one in traffic at 45 in third and we just hit the gas and I just kept pulling on him each time till we hit traffic. What made convinced to get a sentra and get rid of your max?
Old 08-09-2002, 12:42 PM
I'm so hood

The sentra v maxima discussion should not be focused just on straightline speed. Each has it's +'s and -'s. With that said, keep in mind Spec V's typically run mid-15s stock, with a few 15.1-15.2s stock (and some higher than mid-15s).

In my opinion, the advantages the spec V would have over the max would be:
- brand new, the most it can get is like, $19,5k
- lightweight, nimble, quick acceleration out of a short-geared 4-banger (feel fast vs. the maximas feel smooth/notsofast, but go fast)
- very handling-oriented stock suspension (VERY stiff stock springs I
guess, fstb, beefier fsb/rsb)
- a little cheaper in the parts department
- wider aftermarket support
- plenty of experienced minds to pick at as far as doing work/upgrading/etc, from the QR community through the SR20DE community

of course, the maxima is more refined & smooth all over, with room for 4, V6 with notable power all through the band (although the QR25 has quite a bit of low-end for a 4-banger), etc...

The only qualms I have with the Spec V after spending some time doing a bit of research is the number of problems the first-year models have had (and that it's not a coupe). Some people haven't had any, but there's a fair number of people that have had minor to major issues....mostly minor, but still.
There's things being addressed for 03, and somebody said they've switched the assembly location from mexico to the US (that I haven't read up on), so hopefully the future is a little more bright. If so, I may be heading to Spec-V next summer or possibly the year after.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:51 PM

Re: Fairly easy kill

I call BS . The Spec V is clearly faster than stock auto maxima. My se-r is faster than stock auto maximas. A well driven spec V should pull the auto off the line and up top.

Originally posted by slammed95
I raced 2 stock Spec-V's when I had a bad knock sensor and couldn't even chirp my tires with my auto, and I beat them easily. After fixing my k.s. I raced a stock and a modded (intake, muffler) Spec-V's and pulled on them hard. Keep the max and smoke your friend.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:02 PM

Keep the MAX...

4 gen Maximas are still higher up on the "Food Chain."

If you get a Sentra...a modded Max will drive along side of you and ...you'll try to race...ie..try to hard to prove a point...

Maximas are good for modding and not bad when you go out dating/club'n

...Example: Q. What do you drive?

What should you answer: I drive MAXIMA. or I drive a Sentra.

...enjoy the ride.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:16 PM

A Spec V will just about outrun a stock auto Maxima more times than not. However, if the driver sucks, anything goes. Spec V's however are very nice, with 17" rims, and it handles like a beauty, with great low end grunt for a 4 banger. I'd stick with your Maxima, add a few mods, and you'll be faster than a Spec V.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:24 PM

Spec willnot outrun a stock auto Maxima, and like the guys said its till a Sentra. Man you have 3 year old Maxima, I would much have that than any year Sentra no matter what it has on it. Flagship vs. Sentra no contest.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:43 PM
I'm so hood

If you get a Sentra...a modded Max will drive along side of you and ...you'll try to race...ie..try to hard to prove a point...
Hehe...you must know the minds of every Spec V owner. If it was me in the Spec V and a modded max pulled up next to me, I'd wait for the twisties to gun it I'd give a thumbs up either way just cruisin by the max and would hope the max would do the same. But some of you guys are so loyal to the maxima that you'd laugh at the spec-v, even though it's made by nissan and embodies a raw performance-oriented ideal all at quite a value to the wallet.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:02 PM

I lined up against one at the track.... manual w/ new exhaust (woohoo..)... it wasn't even funny how bad i pulled, and the sad part was i was nervous (not know what times they run) - i can post the video later...now the guys brother had a stage 6 300ZX TT haha, and their cousin was there with his modded supraTT... I'd say get one of those two hehe, or keep the maxima! (plus look at the back of a sentra... yuck)

keep the max..
Old 08-09-2002, 04:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are you sure?

In driving both, I would have to say that a Spec-V would not hang with a '99 Max...at least not on the highway. My mom has a '99 Max SE auto that I have been sharing with her for the past month (my car was stolen and defowled), and I have test driven the Spec-V 6-speed. The Spec-V had no ***** on the highway. Atleast the Max has the V6 grunt that makes it a great/fun car to drive. I was interested in the Spec-V until the test drive. After driving my '99 Integra GSR around for the few months I had her...it really raised the bar in my mind. Spec-V, no...but a '99 Max SE 5-speed, a couple of big thumbs up! ...or even better a '02(3) Max SE 6-speed, even better!!!
Old 08-09-2002, 05:00 PM

Re: Are you sure?

The Spec V is an awesome car, I love it! It is fast and will take most auto maximas, ok highway might not be as good as a maxima, but it makes up for it in handling. Its one tight car
Old 08-09-2002, 05:42 PM

Get a clue LOL. You have a car that is roughly 200-300lbs lighter makes nearly the same whp/wtq but has 6 close ratio gears + better traction. And your telling me that an auto maxima won't get pulled LOL. I would argue that the B15 sentra se-r is a better car than a 4th gen minima could ever be stock. Your "flagship" car doesn't come with a helical LSD or even a LSD at all! It doesn't sport 17in wheels or as good brakes, the seats don't offer as good support, it doesn't have as much a performance orentied (sp?) suspension tuning. The only thing the auto 4G maxima has over the B15 se-r is interior room and weight.

Like you said it is no contest. The B15 SE-R spec V ownz the stock automagic 4th gen in any constest of speed.

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Spec willnot outrun a stock auto Maxima, and like the guys said its till a Sentra. Man you have 3 year old Maxima, I would much have that than any year Sentra no matter what it has on it. Flagship vs. Sentra no contest.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:46 PM

Re: Keep the MAX...

Originally posted by krbga

...enjoy the ride.
I think this answer. Even if the Sentra were faster, the Maxima is still a better car.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I saw one at the track stock and he was running between 15.7-15.9.
When I was running stock, my 99 ran 15.9 so I think stock vs stock 5spd should be even. A stock Auto Max cannot hang with a Spec V.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Fairly easy kill

Originally posted by slammed95

Go ahead and call what you want. Maybe you think your se-r is faster than a maxima. Anyways, I never said my car was stock.

That is why I say stock. But its apples and oranges, I know an I/E auto maxima would lose to a properly driven I/E spec V. Given simular mods the spec V will walk the automagic in any contest of acceleration. Right now how many I/E autos are running 15.0-15.4s consistantly, remember I'm talking about cars without Y pipes?

Maybe they should pull on a maxima, but why don't they?
I've seem them do it, I've pulled on maximas in my 91 se-r. Why can't the auto's pull on me?
Old 08-09-2002, 05:52 PM

I'll say I drive a brand new se-r spec V and get the ladies. Not because of the car, but because of da game .

...enjoy the ride.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:05 PM

...enjoy the ride.
I wouldn't mind saying that I drive a Sentra SE-R Spec V though.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:18 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

how often does this need to come up?

BTW..run what ya brung
Old 08-09-2002, 08:58 PM

you guys are to F-in funny

my little brother has a 2002 Spec V.. with everything

i have a 95 auto..

i can tell you right now they he will kill me.. that car is nuts for a compact car..

it pulls pretty well..

i think the spec v has some neat stuff in it liek 6 speed and HLSD..

but i have a max-- so i love my max.. but the sentra isnt that far behind

ask DaBoxSe-- he test drove my brother's car--and he LOVED it.. he can vouch for me

the sentra is no slow poke.. wait for the mods for the new spec v's to come out.. they will rape auto's
Old 08-10-2002, 02:35 AM

Re: Re: Keep the MAX...

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
I'll say I drive a brand new se-r spec V and get the ladies. Not because of the car, but because of da game .

But what is the quality of da ladies? Most of this "what car is faster" is a very moot point in the real world. If the cars are even close performance wise, it comes down to the driver (you know those things called experience, maturity, judgement, patience, CONSISTANCY, etc... Very important here). I'll keep my '97 SE, load up the wife, 2 kids, luggage, and ride comfortably and in style. BTW, I'll get there just as fast, and probably a whole lot safer!

Dave
Old 08-10-2002, 08:34 AM

i think we need to stop bringing up the new sentra vs maxima..the 2 cars r too different...every time this topic comes up some idiot says his auto can beat a specV(stock vs stock)...and why even compare a modded max to a stock specV

i've posted some times of the specV b4 jus to prove a point..specV owns us autos
i wouldn't mind having a specV
Old 08-10-2002, 10:20 AM

Get a clue LOL. You have a car that is roughly 200-300lbs lighter makes nearly the same whp/wtq but has 6 close ratio gears + better traction. And your telling me that an auto maxima won't get pulled LOL. I would argue that the B15 sentra se-r is a better car than a 4th gen minima could ever be stock. Your "flagship" car doesn't come with a helical LSD or even a LSD at all! It doesn't sport 17in wheels or as good brakes, the seats don't offer as good support, it doesn't have as much a performance orentied (sp?) suspension tuning. The only thing the auto 4G maxima has over the B15 se-r is interior room and weight.

Like you said it is no contest. The B15 SE-R spec V ownz the stock automagic 4th gen in any constest of speed.

ok wait a min. As I stated before the Spec V is a great car and I would buy one, but also lets compair something else here , u said 2003 Spec V? ok then look at a 2003 Maxima SE 6-Speed. and btw I might be a big fan of the Spec V but a 5-spd 4th Gen would put up hell of a fight
Old 08-10-2002, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by FameMax

ok wait a min. As I stated before the Spec V is a great car and I would buy one, but also lets compair something else here , u said 2003 Spec V? ok then look at a 2003 Maxima SE 6-Speed. and btw I might be a big fan of the Spec V but a 5-spd 4th Gen would put up hell of a fight
thread is 99 vs 2k2 sentra...of course nissan's flagship is better than their lower models in the same yr
Old 08-10-2002, 01:15 PM

Auto,auto,auto...my 5spd is hungry, it will have a spec-v 6spd for dinner mmmmmmmmmmm ricey

btw, don't ***** up our forum with your big letters because you are feeling uhh, shall we say, small.
Old 08-10-2002, 05:08 PM

I don't feel small at all. I just had to provide some facts to prove that a B15 sentra SE-R isn't inferior to an auto 4th gen. I'll see you 5spd guys at the track too and I'll be equipped and ready .

Originally posted by KINGMAX

Auto,auto,auto...my 5spd is hungry, it will have a spec-v 6spd for dinner mmmmmmmmmmm ricey

btw, don't ***** up our forum with your big letters because you are feeling uhh, shall we say, small.
Old 08-10-2002, 05:09 PM

That is an entirly different arguement. This one is about an auto 4th gen vs a B15 sentra SE-R.

Originally posted by FameMax

Old 08-10-2002, 05:28 PM

why would you ever get that sentra...its so ugly!
Old 08-10-2002, 05:31 PM

You guys are comparing a 6sp 2003 se-r spec V sentra to a 95-99 autotragic? Come on! How about makeing it even and compare manual to manual 95-99 maxima 5sp 0-60 under 7sec sentra above 7sec, 1/4mile max 15.5sec and below, sentra 15.5sec and above unless you kick the shi# out of the sentra then maybe it could TIE it!
Old 08-10-2002, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by iregula
why u ever get ur hair cut like that?? it's so ugly!

ppl have different preference than u

96max5sp: cus some ppl on here think their auto can smoke a specV
Old 08-10-2002, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by iregula
that car will smoke a 4th gen.........it will outhandle it anyday as well.........the spec V can autoX right out of the box
Old 08-11-2002, 01:23 AM

this thread is stupid and its pointless arguing. every car will get a different time. some auto max's run mid 15's some run mid 16's. some ser's run low 15's some run high. over all though, i think there are some stock auto's that can take some stock ser's. my auto max runs a 15.6 and i took one on the highway. i probly caught a bad driver or something. for the most part a new ser (v spec) will pull on an auto max (stock) but i see more sentras in mid to high 15's then low 15's. and to who ever started this thread, race him and see what happens, u may beat him u may not. if he beats you throw on an intake and y-pipe and you should take him somewhat easily. i know we dont have specifics to go off of so we have no choice, but its hard to compare two relitivly close cars in performance, all models perform a little different.
Old 08-11-2002, 02:21 AM
Ludicrous Speed

All i've gotta say is VQ vs. a 4-banger. True that the se-r is a fine nissan vehicle, but i have a lot of pride in my max. There's something about a car that wasn't completely intended for performance yet is just great for it. Keep your 99 Max, bro. There's so much you can do...
Old 08-11-2002, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

will outhandle it anyday as well.........
you know what, I'll acually agree with you on that one