4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

leaking trans?, but no problems? Help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 12:29 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

leaking trans?, but no problems? Help.

I have had a small leak for the last few months. Leaving a little more than a quarter size stain each morning. I got under the car and it's seems pretty obvious it coming from the transmission. I have been checking my cluch fluid resivoir and it has stayed nice and full. All of my fluids have stayed at constant levels.
My car is running great, not a single problem. But there is oil leaking from somewhere and it seems to have gotten worse the last week.
I am no mechanic so it may not be my trans, but I know where my trans is and that is where it is dripping from. The oil is almost clear in color.
If anyone could help figure out how I could have had a constant leak with no change in any fluid levels. Like I said everything is running perfect.
Have any ideas?
Old 08-09-2002, 12:38 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: leaking trans?, but no problems? Help.

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
I have been checking my cluch fluid resivoir and it has stayed nice and full.
You checked the clutch fluid but not the tranny fluid. There 2 different systems and 2 totally different fluids.

You have an Alex Shaft Seal thats leaking. (most likely)

Question now is, are your carrier bearings starting to show signs of failure.....
Old 08-09-2002, 12:48 PM

Re: Re: leaking trans?, but no problems? Help.

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

You checked the clutch fluid but not the tranny fluid. There 2 different systems and 2 totally different fluids.

You have an Alex Shaft Seal thats leaking. (most likely)

Question now is, are your carrier bearings starting to show signs of failure.....
OK. I only know how to check clutch fluid, not trans. I thought I would get this response because when reading searched posts about Redline trans fluid it seemed that it was diffetent from clutch fluid.
Which led me to believe there was a fluid I was not checking. Looks like a seal needs replacing huh.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: leaking trans?, but no problems? Help.

OK. I only know how to check clutch fluid, not trans. I thought I would get this response because when reading searched posts about Redline trans fluid it seemed that it was diffetent from clutch fluid.
Which led me to believe there was a fluid I was not checking. Looks like a seal needs replacing huh.
CAn you be more descriptive of where it is leaking from? Because the I30's are known to wear out the outer hup seal on the driver side. And if thats where is coming from get it fixed RIGHT AWAY. It will end up wearing a crease in the half shaft and ruin the shaft. This happend to me around 60k miles.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: leaking trans?, but no problems? Help.

Originally posted by SLC I30t
CAn you be more descriptive of where it is leaking from? Because the I30's are known to wear out the outer hup seal on the driver side. And if thats where is coming from get it fixed RIGHT AWAY. It will end up wearing a crease in the half shaft and ruin the shaft. This happend to me around 60k miles.
yes. That seems exactly where it's leaking from. The outer part of the trans on the drivers side. How do I go about replacing the fluid I have already lost? Will that buy me some time untill I fix it?
Old 08-09-2002, 01:52 PM

not really because what it does is it sits pressed against the bearing I think and rubs that groove into it. Its not a difficult thing to do... at least when looking at the chiltons. The seal is 7.99 at Infiniti.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:47 PM

not really because what it does is it sits pressed against the bearing I think and rubs that groove into it. Its not a difficult thing to do... at least when looking at the chiltons. The seal is 7.99 at Infiniti.
Thanks SLC, I will see about replacing my seal my next day off work. I still think I better go ahead and fill up my trans fluid. Why do you think it will do no good to fill it up?

What did it end up costing you when you got yours fixed? Did you take it to the dealership or what?
Old 08-09-2002, 09:01 PM

Thanks SLC, I will see about replacing my seal my next day off work. I still think I better go ahead and fill up my trans fluid. Why do you think it will do no good to fill it up?

What did it end up costing you when you got yours fixed? Did you take it to the dealership or what?
Mine was covered by the powertrain warranty. But they put mine off for thousands of miles. I ended up getting a knew tranny/clutch/flywheel/outer drives/cv joints over it. He he he, they ended up cracking the housing... so then they ordered a new one and the only thing that Nissan/infinti offers is a new drive train from the crank... so presto chango... 60k miles, brand new everything... WOO HOOO. I would continue to monitor the level, and get it fixed ASAP.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:51 PM

Mine was covered by the powertrain warranty. But they put mine off for thousands of miles. I ended up getting a knew tranny/clutch/flywheel/outer drives/cv joints over it. He he he, they ended up cracking the housing... so then they ordered a new one and the only thing that Nissan/infinti offers is a new drive train from the crank... so presto chango... 60k miles, brand new everything... WOO HOOO. I would continue to monitor the level, and get it fixed ASAP.
Some are luckier than others. You got a car thats gonna last a long time. Thanks for the help
Old 08-11-2002, 07:25 AM

Well I got a better idea of where The leak is coming from. The O ring seal on the left had side trans axel is leaking. The right is also leaking but very minor.
I filled my trany fluid, which had not really lost that much. Now I am deciding if I should do this myself. It does not look that hard, the only thing is taking the whole drive axel off.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:10 AM

Well I got a better idea of where The leak is coming from. The O ring seal on the left had side trans axel is leaking. The right is also leaking but very minor.
I filled my trany fluid, which had not really lost that much. Now I am deciding if I should do this myself. It does not look that hard, the only thing is taking the whole drive axel off.
It's not that hard. The left one is easy, but the right one is more of a PITA. Have a hammer and chisel handy
Old 08-11-2002, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

It's not that hard. The left one is easy, but the right one is more of a PITA. Have a hammer and chisel handy
I suppose you mean removing the drive axel is a pain? That is something I have never done before. I figure might a as well give it a try. I can always take it to a shop if I have to. I hate to dip into my new exhust fund, but mods don't matter if my cars not running.