4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

best brake kit to get????

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 04:02 PM
Banned

best brake kit to get????

hey guys i need new brakes pretty soon and i was just wondering whats the best pads to get and where??? and which rotors are better slotted or drilled? i wanna go as big as i can with my stock wheels. cause i have stock rotor/pads and i can't stop for crap!!
thanx
Old 08-15-2002, 06:38 AM
Banned

bump!!!! i need them soon help guys!!!!!
Old 08-15-2002, 07:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Get the Stillen x-drilled rotors with Metal Axis pads all the way around. A great upgrade from stock for just over 400 bucks.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:14 AM
Banned

anyone have the brembo setup???? on their max???
Old 08-15-2002, 09:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just replaced my OEM pads with Porterfield R4-S pads. They are really great pads. I haven't had any problems so far. They stop my car quickly and with little pedal travel. There is no shake or wobble and there is hardly any fade. I've only got OEM calipers and rotors and these pads really shine. In the future I hope to upgrade to some sort of big brake kit, or at least new rotors and maybe new SS brake lines. njmaxseltd, you sound pretty happy with those Stillen rotors. Weren't they made from Brembo blanks, too?
Old 08-15-2002, 09:49 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

just get oem rotors with some raybestos quiet stops.. the pads are ceramic and silent. Don't worry about crossdrilled and slotted unless you plan on doing some extreme braking. Sure they cool a little bit better, but all rotors warp.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:25 AM

porterfield r4s

Originally posted by tmkforever
I just replaced my OEM pads with Porterfield R4-S pads. They are really great pads. I haven't had any problems so far. They stop my car quickly and with little pedal travel. There is no shake or wobble and there is hardly any fade. I've only got OEM calipers and rotors and these pads really shine. In the future I hope to upgrade to some sort of big brake kit, or at least new rotors and maybe new SS brake lines. njmaxseltd, you sound pretty happy with those Stillen rotors. Weren't they made from Brembo blanks, too?
i also put these on last week and have had no problems...stops well also
Old 08-15-2002, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by tmkforever
njmaxseltd, you sound pretty happy with those Stillen rotors. Weren't they made from Brembo blanks, too?
Yes they are Brembo blanks modified by Stillen. There Zinc plated as well which cleans up the hub really nicely. They'll never rust! I've heard from others on this board that they don't warp either. I hope I have the same good service others have had with them. I had my OEM rotors cut 2x in 50K miles. Thats enough BS for me, it was time to change them.

Old 08-15-2002, 10:59 AM

all rotors will warp eventually...... even stealin's. It just depends on the driving style. If you don't believe me, find someone with brembos, brake hard and heat up the rotors then splash some water. I'll bet my car that it will warp.

Same goes for x drilled and slotted, they will warp too. It's just a matter of time.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by seximagtr
just get oem rotors with some raybestos quiet stops.. the pads are ceramic and silent. Don't worry about crossdrilled and slotted unless you plan on doing some extreme braking. Sure they cool a little bit better, but all rotors warp.
How long do the ceramics last compared to oem? Are they harsher on the rotors or about the same?
Old 08-15-2002, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by seximagtr
all rotors will warp eventually...... even stealin's. It just depends on the driving style. If you don't believe me, find someone with brembos, brake hard and heat up the rotors then splash some water. I'll bet my car that it will warp.

Same goes for x drilled and slotted, they will warp too. It's just a matter of time.

Explain to me why my 330 doesn't warp rotors?
OR
My buddies 98 I30 with 100K miles on it, has had perfectly smooth brakes from day 1, original Nissan/Infiniti Equipment.
OR
My 89 Prelude SI with over 170,000 miles on it when I sold it never once warped the rotors.....
OR
My Yamaha FJ1200 with 52,000 miles on it which has perfectly smooth brakes, and that baby has seen some intense high speed braking.

Shall I go on???
Old 08-15-2002, 12:58 PM

well you must be good on the brakes, who knows.. the way the brake system is..... especially with the FWD cars are, they are prone to warping. Not to mention that warping can be unnoticable to bad enough to shake the steering wheel and pulse the pedal. Do this with your 330 if you think it's discs are exempt from this. Do some hard braking getting off the highway, then pull the ebrake. Or go wash your wheels. I can go on and on. I'm partly biased because I'm from TX where it's hot as hell and rotors take much longer to cool. The brake shop where my mechanic works pretty much routinely has to either turn or replace rotors from the warping.

Btw, the ceramic raybestos have a lifetime warrenty @ my pep boys.
Old 08-16-2002, 01:48 PM
Banned

my rotors are not warp yet (factory)and i drive pretty hard and i just hate when i hit them and they don't stop cause their all hot and stuff. sso im thinging about get the autozone rotors for 27.00 front and 26.00 for the rear. and the Porterfield R4-s pads where can i get a good deal on these??? and are low on nosie and dust??? and how long would this setup last me????

thanx jeff