4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Blue Instrument Cluster Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 01:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Blue Instrument Cluster Lights?

Hey guys.... I know this topic has been brought up a LOT, but I have searched, and I haven't found a straight answer. I want to switch the bulbs in the instrument cluster to blue, but from what I have read, this will not be bright enough. Is there any long-lasting, bright blue bulb that will work? Will I have to do any wiring modifications to do this? Also, are the 194's considered an LED or a bulb? Just wondering. Thanks a lot!
Old 08-16-2002, 01:32 PM
I aim to misbehave.

They are LED bulbs, as opposed to regular incandescent bulbs that are usually used. The LEDs are the same size and shape as the ones in your guage gluster (assuming that's your 95/96) and it doesn't require any modifications whatsoever- all you have to do is take out the guage cluster and replace the old bulbs with the new ones. Maybe a half hour job at the most your first time, and that's only because you have to take off a few dash trim pieces. Piece of cake.

As for brightness, there are two different types of LED bulbs. There are the 4-LED type and the single-LED type. The 4-LEDs have four separate 5mm LEDs clumped together, and are brigher than the single-LED (which is just one big LED bulb) but give "hotspots" in certain areas because of their design. However, since there are more bulbs, they are also brigher than a single, bigger bulb. Unfortunately this also means that it's more likely for one of the 4 LEDs to burn out, which would probably not look good under your cluster (that is if the whole bulb group continued to light up at all). I have the single-LED type (bought from www.autodynamic.com) in blue. I like them a lot, but I do wish they were a TINY bit brighter. Some people think they are too dim, and some people think they're fine. It's just a matter of preference. I get along with mine just fine. It's a gamble, but if you lightly sand the outside of an LED bulb with fine-grit paper, you turn it into a "diffused" LED which is much brighter because since the outside isn't clear, it refracts the light much more. I'm going to try this with the bulb I have under my shifter and I'll let you know if it gets any brighter (if it does, I'd recommend the single-bulb LEDs).

Some people have also had trouble with theirs burning out prematurely. I have had mine for a few months and haven't had any problems. I think most people say theirs are still ok.

I assume you have the white SE guage faces. I don't know how these bulbs would look under white faces, but I think someone may possibly have posted a pic in the recent past. Might want to do a search to see if you come up with anything.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Doug
Old 08-16-2002, 01:39 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by Speebs
They are LED bulbs, as opposed to regular incandescent bulbs that are usually used.
Not quite. The regular #194 bulbs are just that, bulbs. I have red 194s that are definitely not LEDs. What most people get is an LED cluster designed to fit in a 194 socket.

Just to clarify.
Old 08-16-2002, 01:48 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Originally posted by mzmtg

Not quite. The regular #194 bulbs are just that, bulbs. I have red 194s that are definitely not LEDs. What most people get is an LED cluster designed to fit in a 194 socket.

Just to clarify.
My mistake... I didn't read carefully enough. I thought he was referring to the 194 LEDs that people are buying.

How are your red 194s? Have they faded over time at all?
Old 08-16-2002, 06:31 PM
syc

Re: Blue Instrument Cluster Lights?

no blue 194 are ever bright enough (at least to me). I've tried 4 LED, single LED, prolarg bulbs, regular autozone/walmart bulbs not to mention you don't get the right color. they are all different blue. LED always burn out very fast (and don't know where to get the quality one) and they are expensive. the color of regular bulbs always fade away to green or some strange color (except prolarg) they are not even bright. prolarg is expensive too but they never burn out and color never fade. before I got my reverse indiglo, I only use prolarg blue after so many tries.

reverse indiglo + indiglo needles is the way to go!!

194 red is a different story. even the regular walmart bulb is brighter than the LED blue. the color will not fade. however, there are different red too. but who cares, they are cheap. just keep trying.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:34 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by Speebs

How are your red 194s? Have they faded over time at all?
Nope. I just got the cheap AutoZone ones and they have been great
Old 08-16-2002, 10:10 PM

Re: Re: Blue Instrument Cluster Lights?

Originally posted by syc
no blue 194 are ever bright enough (at least to me). I've tried 4 LED, single LED, prolarg bulbs, regular autozone/walmart bulbs not to mention you don't get the right color. they are all different blue. LED always burn out very fast (and don't know where to get the quality one) and they are expensive. the color of regular bulbs always fade away to green or some strange color (except prolarg) they are not even bright. prolarg is expensive too but they never burn out and color never fade. before I got my reverse indiglo, I only use prolarg blue after so many tries.

reverse indiglo + indiglo needles is the way to go!!

194 red is a different story. even the regular walmart bulb is brighter than the LED blue. the color will not fade. however, there are different red too. but who cares, they are cheap. just keep trying.
So are the polargs blue also? or is it like a hyper white? Also, where do I find these?
Old 08-16-2002, 10:16 PM

Also, I had one more question. Compared to the stock white light, how bright is the 4-LED blue lights? Is the 4-LED dimmer, or about the same?
Old 08-17-2002, 02:33 AM
syc

I meant "polarg" (or polorg?) blue, sorry. it is expensive as the LED but never burn out. the 4 led is much brighter than the stock white but not as clear because my 4 led blue is dark blue, maybe some people get the sharp blue. but the brightness is a joke if compared with indiglo.

many people switch back to white and they use polarg superwhite and I was thinking to do the same. blue means trouble! but all this is just my opinion. you can search the forum.
Old 08-17-2002, 03:41 AM

i used 2 pairs of the cheap autozone stuff, and a pair of the cheap red autozone 194's....3 blue and 2 red behind the guage, and 1 blue in the shifter....they are still fine, except 1 of the blue's burnt out within a week, but i havent gotten aroudn to change it yet.....it looks bright enuff at night....if its pitch dark, looks really good..
Old 08-17-2002, 02:24 PM

So how long do the LED's usually last?
Old 08-18-2002, 09:32 AM

I know that I need 5 lights, but how does this work? Do 3 of them light the 2 big guages, and then the small guages get 1 light each? I am asking becuase I want to make the small guages blue and the 2 big ones hyper white with the polarg bulbs. Let me know if this will work.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:34 PM

I'm leaving for Japan tomorrow, but if you PM me your e-mail address by tonight, I'll e-mail you a pic of my meter with 194 1-LEDs.

To answer your question, NO, the gauge bulbs are not separated. If you mix colors, it will blend/bleed.

#1 most does the fuel and part of the speedo.
#2 is speedo
#3 is part speedo/tacho
#4 is tacho (possibly temp too)
#5 is part of tacho and all temp

I could be wrong but my point is, the bulbs don't illuminate the individual gauges separately.

I have a poor version of the pic on my homepage (2nd page), but the high quality one I can e-mail you.

Let me know!
Old 08-19-2002, 01:00 PM

How long do the 4-LED lights last? Do they burn out quicky? I really want to put them in my Max, but I don't want something that will burn out really quickly.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:43 PM
syc

Originally posted by djshawnee
How long do the 4-LED lights last? Do they burn out quicky? I really want to put them in my Max, but I don't want something that will burn out really quickly.
depends on your luck!!!! first one is like a month but after that, I bought the reverse indiglo and use regular red for the needle color. cost me $13.00 a pair. I don't even drive much at night. search to see how's other people doing!
Old 10-09-2002, 05:44 AM

Does anyone have a write up on how to do this for 98 Maximas. I would like to put blue leds into my window switches.