4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sounds after Brake Pad Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 04:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounds after Brake Pad Replacement

Hi,
I changed four aftermarket brake pads for my 98 max. couple days ago. Now the brakes make a lot of sounds whenever my car is about to stop. Are all the aftermarket brake pads make sounds, and how can I fix it (noise free)?

UC
Old 08-18-2002, 04:32 PM
Administrator

squeal or groan?

describe the sound..

if its a squeal.. did you put the shims back on?
Old 08-18-2002, 04:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It squeal and groan. I let the autoshop changed for me, and I saw there is a metal plate on each brake pad when the mechanic took the old brake pads out. He didn't put those metal plates on.
Old 08-18-2002, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by uc147
It squeal and groan. I let the autoshop changed for me, and I saw there is a metal plate on each brake pad when the mechanic took the old brake pads out. He didn't put those metal plates on.
thats why its squeeking.. those are shims.. aka anti-squeal things.. you can get them for i think $30ish.. you want to put those back in.. also.. if you are getting a groan noise.. find out if the shop resurfaced the rotors.. if not.. you brake pads will wear down again in no time if they needed to be resurface
Old 08-18-2002, 07:14 PM

What happends if you changes your brakes your self and you did everything right? I only changed my fronts and the backs had alot left so i dident but now when i brake it squeeels and somtimes if i work the pedel right it dosent....any one know?

oh yea and i got my brake bads drom discount auto parts
-ChRi§
Old 08-18-2002, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE
What happends if you changes your brakes your self and you did everything right? I only changed my fronts and the backs had alot left so i dident but now when i brake it squeeels and somtimes if i work the pedel right it dosent....any one know?

oh yea and i got my brake bads drom discount auto parts
-ChRi§
did you put your shims back in?

silly question? how much brake dust do you have on your calipers.. once i had squeal noise once after changing my pads 2 weeks prior.. i was going to pull it down and check it.. but i went to the car wash first.. after i was done washing my car.. the noise was gone.. yes.. you heard it right.. too much brake dust can cause squeel noise.. i would check that first..

if that checks out.. and the shims are in.. sometimes its normal to get a little squeak every now and then.. just get some anti squeal compound from discount auto parts and squeeze it on the pads
Old 08-18-2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax

did you put your shims back in?

silly question? how much brake dust do you have on your calipers.. once i had squeal noise once after changing my pads 2 weeks prior.. i was going to pull it down and check it.. but i went to the car wash first.. after i was done washing my car.. the noise was gone.. yes.. you heard it right.. too much brake dust can cause squeel noise.. i would check that first..

if that checks out.. and the shims are in.. sometimes its normal to get a little squeak every now and then.. just get some anti squeal compound from discount auto parts and squeeze it on the pads
when you say shims you mean that metal peace that looks like a taken aprt paper clip that attatchs to the both brake bads? if so then yes thats on...
Old 08-18-2002, 07:25 PM
Administrator

when you say shims you mean that metal peace that looks like a taken aprt paper clip that attatchs to the both brake bads? if so then yes thats on...
yeah thats them..

wash your rims and calipers tommorow.. see if the sound goes away..

if not.. get some anti squeal compound its a gel like substance.. squeeze that in between the shims and pads
Old 08-18-2002, 07:33 PM

yeah thats them..

wash your rims and calipers tommorow.. see if the sound goes away..

if not.. get some anti squeal compound its a gel like substance.. squeeze that in between the shims and pads
alright i will try cleaning them, but that gel cant i just sqeez it on the calipers and let it rub onto the bad as i brake, becuase taking of my bads agian is a *****... i hated changing my braks... oh yeah and does anyone know a way to get the back braks..the part that push the pads back in? for the front i just used a rench and squeezed as hard as i could and took out the extra brake fluid...for the back there is really not a good place to use that same tool... anyone know?
Old 08-18-2002, 07:35 PM
Administrator

alright i will try cleaning them, but that gel cant i just sqeez it on the calipers and let it rub onto the bad as i brake, becuase taking of my bads agian is a *****... i hated changing my braks... oh yeah and does anyone know a way to get the back braks..the part that push the pads back in? for the front i just used a rench and squeezed as hard as i could and took out the extra brake fluid...for the back there is really not a good place to use that same tool... anyone know?
i used a needle nose pliers to turn the piston .. keep turning it and then the piston goes in and you can slide the caliper back down over the pads..
Old 08-20-2002, 10:45 AM

I think you can also buy a tool at an auto store that will fit on the rear brake piston. You have to turn it instead of pushing it back, different from the front brakes.

i used a needle nose pliers to turn the piston .. keep turning it and then the piston goes in and you can slide the caliper back down over the pads..
Old 08-20-2002, 12:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I changed my brakes 3 weeks ago. All four are brand new, however after I leave my car standing on the handbrake for a while and then start driving it sound like a groan from the rear. A shop changed the brakes for me. What can be the problem?
Old 08-20-2002, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by SonicDust187
I changed my brakes 3 weeks ago. All four are brand new, however after I leave my car standing on the handbrake for a while and then start driving it sound like a groan from the rear. A shop changed the brakes for me. What can be the problem?
In forward and reverse or only one or the other?
Old 08-20-2002, 12:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Forward.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by SonicDust187
Forward.
go to an auto parts store and purchase a 6 inch c clamp. You hook it on to the back of the caliper and turn it with your hand or with a wrench. You have to put the caliper back on to do this. Also open the brake fluid cap to let the excess out.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nah, those aren't the shims, those are the pad return springs. The shims are the thin metal pieces that go in between the outside of the brake pad and the inside surface of the caliper....get it?
Old 08-31-2002, 07:58 AM

Brake Pad brands?

btw, which brand of aftermarket pads
would you recommend? Car & Driver (8/02)
had an informative article on aftermarket
brake kits. They used Hawk HP pads.
Which other ones are both good & durable?
Thanks
Old 08-31-2002, 02:32 PM
supertool

Someone please answer my other thread.

I bought a nissan shim kit and it came with 6 shims. 4 black regular ones, and 2 smaller shiny ones. I want to know what those are for.
Thanks.

Old 08-31-2002, 02:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Brake Pad brands?

Originally posted by oppaman
btw, which brand of aftermarket pads
would you recommend? Car & Driver (8/02)
had an informative article on aftermarket
brake kits. They used Hawk HP pads.
Which other ones are both good & durable?
Thanks
I just put in new Porterfield R4-S pads... they are really superlative, although I'm still having some squealing noise. I suspect I need new shims but I'm way too lazy to get new ones. Check 'em out here .