4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Apexi WS "After install thoughts"

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 05:36 PM

Apexi WS "After install thoughts"

I just hooked up my Apexi WS exhaust and I'm a little disapointed. First of all, I felt like i have lost a lot of torque and only gained about 1-2 hp if that. I cant grab second gear like i used to. Second, it sounds great but it is just to loud, I cant even think unless I'm driving at 55 and am steady on the pedal. Anyone else feel this way after the thing was installed? Its for sale in a month if anyone is interesed. I busted my A$$ to get it on so I am going to force myself to deal for a few weeks. $385 (Wilmington, NC)
Old 08-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I thought the WS was supposed to be among the quietest catbacks available? Looks like I might not get one after all...
-Cyrus
Old 08-22-2002, 05:52 PM

Remeber vyrus its all a matter of opinion, I have had all different kinds of exhaust on mine (Stillen, Greddy) and currently i love the apexi. Among the stillen with the stillen b-pipe that thing is so loud it's not even funni (I have a warpspeed Y-pipe and randm cat) The greddy was just a hair less obnoxious where as the apexi is great. Not to loud but then again not so quite that you dont know i have an exhaust when i get on it, it's something ungodly. Sounds awsome. As the hp loss thing goes granted it doesnt produce as much as the greddy did but i still don't think it was as bad as you would think i have an automatic the lowend is not to bad but the high end was nuts thing pulls great. I don't have to many bad things to say about the apexi. Just my 2 cents
Brian
Old 08-22-2002, 06:22 PM

Too loud? I have all the exhaust bolt ons and mine isn't that loud. Most Apexi WS exhaust owners would probably say the same thing. Something just doesn't sound right in your case. Also, I didn't notice much of a torque loss at all with the exhaust installed. I didn't feel much gains, but not any noticeable torque loss. Weird...
Old 08-22-2002, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Too loud? I have all the exhaust bolt ons and mine isn't that loud. Most Apexi WS exhaust owners would probably say the same thing. Something just doesn't sound right in your case. Also, I didn't notice much of a torque loss at all with the exhaust installed. I didn't feel much gains, but not any noticeable torque loss. Weird...
I have def. lost torque b/c I cant chatch second nearly as hard as i used to. Although, the car does pull harder on the high end. As far as noise is concerned, I have an intake, y-pipe and I noticed that i'm missing some of the inside of my cat. I think that over time some of the internals of the cat have sucked though. This might be why it is so loud, but again, its all opinion. E-mail me if anyone wants to buy.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:11 PM

so, if i think that the greddy exhaust looks ricey (which I do), will this look even more ricey, or is it stylin?

other than the visual and audial, is there any reason to get a catback?
Old 08-22-2002, 08:15 PM

not really, unless you go boost
Old 08-22-2002, 08:16 PM

Well if you don't like the WS and sound of it, I don't think there's any exhaust out there you will like. The Greddy is suppose to be even louder. Actually, it is definitely louder. I used to have a Greddy SP. I suggest you just stay with the stock exhaust.

Miasma: the WS isn't ricey at all. Just right IMO.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:27 PM

ok, I would really love to see more pics of the WS installed, I want a richer sound than stock, but with all the rice bashing i do, if it is even remotely coffee can like, i will take hell for it for the life of my max.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by Miasma
ok, I would really love to see more pics of the WS installed, I want a richer sound than stock, but with all the rice bashing i do, if it is even remotely coffee can like, i will take hell for it for the life of my max.

The exhaust doesn't sound ricey at all, its just a little too much of a rumble for me. I guess i enjoy the car sounding stock until i romp on the pedal
Old 08-22-2002, 09:15 PM

My Input

Originally posted by perfectmax

The exhaust doesn't sound ricey at all, its just a little too much of a rumble for me. I guess i enjoy the car sounding stock until i romp on the pedal
I just installed my A'pexi last week. At first, I was severely disappointed. I thought it was too loud, plus it didn't add a whole lot of power. After driving around with it for about a week, I've enjoyed it much more. I have to admit, it was louder than I thought it would be and it took some getting used to. I know for a fact, however, I won't get rid of it. Another thing my friends have told me, it sounds a lot louder in the car than it does outside. I'd also have to add that above 4000 rpm, the intake completely drowns out the exhaust. If it's too loud, possibly there is a leak. I don't know, but I was in your place a week ago...give it some time...maybe it'll grow on you.

-Josh
Old 08-23-2002, 02:15 AM
Ludicrous Speed

I have def. lost torque b/c I cant chatch second nearly as hard as i used to. Although, the car does pull harder on the high end. As far as noise is concerned, I have an intake, y-pipe and I noticed that i'm missing some of the inside of my cat. I think that over time some of the internals of the cat have sucked though. This might be why it is so loud, but again, its all opinion. E-mail me if anyone wants to buy.
That definately increases noise...
Old 08-23-2002, 04:22 PM
Maximaniac

apexi ws

I want one. If any of you guys dont like yours lemme know i'll take it.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:19 AM

Re: My Input

Originally posted by JMKeehn

I just installed my A'pexi last week. At first, I was severely disappointed. I thought it was too loud, plus it didn't add a whole lot of power. After driving around with it for about a week, I've enjoyed it much more. I have to admit, it was louder than I thought it would be and it took some getting used to. I know for a fact, however, I won't get rid of it. Another thing my friends have told me, it sounds a lot louder in the car than it does outside. I'd also have to add that above 4000 rpm, the intake completely drowns out the exhaust. If it's too loud, possibly there is a leak. I don't know, but I was in your place a week ago...give it some time...maybe it'll grow on you.

-Josh
Alright guys, two days later and its kind of growing on me. It seems as thought the car has quieted down a little. Anyway, here is the 2 million dollar question: I broke the rear 02 sensor installing the thing and my check engine light came on (broken 02 sensor is still in place). I was wondering if this is one of the reasons that I have lost so much torque. Do you guys think that once i order another one and hook it up, resent the ecu and let the car reprogram itself the car will run better with a little more low end torque?????
Old 08-24-2002, 10:40 AM
Keven97SE

Re: Re: My Input

Nope, the rear O2 sensor is only used for monitoring the "health" of the cat. The signal is not used in any way to adjust engine performance.

You'll find that all exhausts quiet down over time as the inside gets coated with carbon. The carbon helps insulate and dampen noises from the exhaust stream. You'll probably find yourself liking the exhaust more and more as it breaks in. Give it some time (couple weeks) before making any decision to ditch it.

Alright guys, two days later and its kind of growing on me. It seems as thought the car has quieted down a little. Anyway, here is the 2 million dollar question: I broke the rear 02 sensor installing the thing and my check engine light came on (broken 02 sensor is still in place). I was wondering if this is one of the reasons that I have lost so much torque. Do you guys think that once i order another one and hook it up, resent the ecu and let the car reprogram itself the car will run better with a little more low end torque?????

Old 08-24-2002, 01:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: My Input

Originally posted by Keven97SE
Nope, the rear O2 sensor is only used for monitoring the "health" of the cat. The signal is not used in any way to adjust engine performance.

You'll find that all exhausts quiet down over time as the inside gets coated with carbon. The carbon helps insulate and dampen noises from the exhaust stream. You'll probably find yourself liking the exhaust more and more as it breaks in. Give it some time (couple weeks) before making any decision to ditch it.

Ok, I have read all the post of all the exhaust. I was not the least surprised at you guys, because I was the same. I thought that the stillen would be a good choice , then I saw people selling theirs, then Greddys went on sale, now Apexi's!
Well you wonder why my 2 cents, because I have 2001 SE stock muffler with a pannel K&N filter , on a 5-speed 97 . I am happy and have all the power with the sweetest sound in the world. Polish the tip with Mothers mag polish and ricers wonder what exhaust is that and where to purchase. Oh did I mention that I do not have to take Advil after driving uphill or trip alarms on 1st gear?!