4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What mods? need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 09:39 AM

What mods? need advice

Looking to mod my 97 5 speed. I've been looking around the net
a little bit but would like imput from people that have done the mods.
I'm looking for good power for the dollar, I was thinking about an intake, y-pipe and b-pipe. Any suggestions on which ones (pros+cons).
Also does the front strut bar make a big differnce? Are they all pretty much the same? Any other suggestions?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:50 AM
Dev

Re: What mods? need advice

Originally posted by 975spEEd
Looking to mod my 97 5 speed. I've been looking around the net
a little bit but would like imput from people that have done the mods.
I'm looking for good power for the dollar, I was thinking about an intake, y-pipe and b-pipe. Any suggestions on which ones (pros+cons).
Also does the front strut bar make a big differnce? Are they all pretty much the same? Any other suggestions?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
your performance mods sound fine. maybe even a variable intake?

as for the fstb, it didn't make too much of a difference with the handling, though i heard rear sway bars do wonders.

a bar is a bar, if you want to pay more and go with a nice looking brand name bar like stillen, do so, but it does the same job as any other one.
Old 08-31-2002, 11:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Get a CAI or Frankencar, Y-pipe, and a cat-back exhaust and you're well on your way to big HP! A VI (variable intake) is also a great mod, probably one of the best bang for buck wise.
Old 08-31-2002, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by tmkforever
Get a CAI or Frankencar, Y-pipe, and a cat-back exhaust and you're well on your way to big HP! A VI (variable intake) is also a great mod, probably one of the best bang for buck wise.

Which is the better intake Frankencar or stillen? Will I lose a lot of low end by swapping the intake? Also what is a variable intake? how much is it? How much power does it add? where can I get one? Is there one y-pipe better than the other? I've looked at warpspeed's site and they claim to have the best flow,for the best price,along with good quality. Will the addition of the y-pipe cause a big loss in low end because of the reduced back pressure?

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-31-2002, 03:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 975spEEd

Which is the better intake Frankencar or stillen? Will I lose a lot of low end by swapping the intake? Also what is a variable intake? how much is it? How much power does it add? where can I get one? Is there one y-pipe better than the other? I've looked at warpspeed's site and they claim to have the best flow,for the best price,along with good quality. Will the addition of the y-pipe cause a big loss in low end because of the reduced back pressure?

Thanks for your help!
Depends on what you want. The Frankencar gives more mid-end punch without too much loss in the high or low end. CAIs have great low-end, and POP style intakes like the JWT or Stillen have tons of pull up high in the RPMs, but you might loose a little down low. A variable intake is an OEM intake manifold from the JDM and Middle East that will increase power above 5K RPMs. E-mail or PM Mr. Cranman or iansw for more info...they both sell them.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by tmkforever
i have the frankencar intake. i am looking right now and getting quotes for install of a wpspd y and b. i don't wanna do the full exhaust, b/c i heard it is far too loud. i heard it is the worst around 2-3000 rpms. let me know
Old 09-04-2002, 06:48 PM

probaly the Y-pipe will do the most for the maxima because the stock Y-pipe is very restriced. the rest of the Exhaust won't do as much as a Y-pipe. how much HP does the B-pipe add.
And what do u people recommend for a good muffler that doesn't sound like 9 gas scooters