4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP - Frankencar installatoin.. Car won't start now

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 12:22 PM

HELP - Frankencar installatoin.. Car won't start now

Hey I tried to install the frankencar intake, when we were installing it the maf came out of the maf control (box) we put it right back in, but my friend thinks this is what messed it up. Now when we start the car the ignition goes but it won't turn over and it won't start. There's no way it can drive so i can't bring it to a dealership to have them look at it? what should i do? do i need a new maf sensor?
bob
Old 09-21-2002, 12:49 PM

Re: HELP - Frankencar installatoin.. Car won't start now

Originally posted by RSA_MAX
Hey I tried to install the frankencar intake, when we were installing it the maf came out of the maf control (box) we put it right back in, but my friend thinks this is what messed it up. Now when we start the car the ignition goes but it won't turn over and it won't start. There's no way it can drive so i can't bring it to a dealership to have them look at it? what should i do? do i need a new maf sensor?
bob
make sure you have your connections are tight... i didn't plug my maf in all the way when i did my intake the first time... boom... it didnt' start... and it put out a code. check your ecu too... maybe it could tell you something.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:28 PM

Id check connections, If all else fails then tow it to dealer.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When your MAF fails, you would still be able to start the car but it won't go over 2000RPM. Make sure you didn't disconnect any harnesses from the sensors around the intake area.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:17 PM

Deezo, when you say don't disconnect any harnesses near the intake area.. when we were putting in the cold air, we unbolted these connections, they had a little bracket on the intake, but we unbolted it and they are just sitting there free, this sounds bad but we didnt see how they could connect to that bracket because it seems that all their connectoins are right there and dont plug into it, making screwing the bolt back into the bracket seem pointless in our problem. I just went out there before this post and the grey plug to that box is the maf right? it's as tight as its gonna be, car tries to start keeps trying as long as i have the key in but it just wont turn over, do you think if i connect that group of wires to that bracket again it would have anything to do with it? i just dont seem how it is possible.
thanks
bob
Old 09-21-2002, 03:25 PM

its probably not a maf sensor, because i started my car up once without it installed, but when i put it in "D" it shut off..........did you check your fuses?
Old 09-21-2002, 03:42 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by deezo
When your MAF fails, you would still be able to start the car but it won't go over 2000RPM. Make sure you didn't disconnect any harnesses from the sensors around the intake area.
Deezo is right, your car will start even if the MAF has gone bad. It will just run in limp mode.

What your describing sounds like the ignition wire to the starter relay is not connected anymore. You have power, but nothing is telling the relay to close for the starter to turn.

Check around your install again very carefully, there's a wire off someplace.
Old 09-21-2002, 04:51 PM

thank you very much, the problem isn't solved yet, but will be soon... hopefully, i think your right saying the wire is off from the ignition to the relay because the car is trying to start.. it doesn't sound any less powerful, it's just trying to start up normal.. and it doesn't "catch" it just keep on trying to start before the actual catch takes place. Does anyone know where this wire is from the ignition to the relay? thanks a loT!
Old 09-21-2002, 05:01 PM

Re: HELP - Frankencar installatoin.. Car won't start now

did you make sure you have all the vaccum hoses and everything hooked back up, cause it wont run if they arent. one of mine popped off while i was driving and i lost all power in the middle of the road, it was horrible. happened same day i installed my hybrid.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:54 PM

Yes all the hoses are back, i think its gotta be the wire from the ignition to the relay is loose but im not sure ill test it tomorow
bob
Old 09-21-2002, 10:07 PM

I bet your vaccum hose is leaking / not secured, its the top hose there that should be under the fstb if you have one.

u can actually drive it now, put yr right foot on gas, then put left foot on brakes, then put it in D with a little bit of gas, then let th ebrakes go & the car will move, BUT as soon as you let the gas go the car will stall.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:29 AM

ive tightened the hoses as tight as they can go.. i am absolutley clueless as to what is wrong.i dont really wanna get it towed to nissan because they'll charge an arm and a leg, anybody else have any other ideas on what i should do? thanks
bob
Old 09-22-2002, 07:21 AM

on top of this, ive tried to get to the ecu and the damn selector screw is so freggin small, i cant get a screwdriver small enough to freggin turn the screw! and ive been using a flathead eyeglasses screwdriver! !$#@$#$#@$@! sorry, just venting
Old 09-22-2002, 10:08 AM

I'm telling you man, you gotta be missing something.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:17 AM

I think your car is mad that you paid 130 for that intake when you could have made one for 15.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:03 AM

maybe so.. but it looks like i'll be towing it to nissan tomorow b/c i can't figure anything out. damn nissan dealerships!
Old 09-22-2002, 06:13 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by RSA_MAX
maybe so.. but it looks like i'll be towing it to nissan tomorow b/c i can't figure anything out. damn nissan dealerships!
damn... let's just hope it's not something as simple as a loose connection now... cuz they'd fix it and still charge u an *** load.

blah now im gettin scared cuz i just ordered my frankencar... i'm pretty experienced w/ the stuff but ahhhh i can't afford any problems, i barely squeezed for the 50 bucks lol
Old 09-22-2002, 08:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think I know what your problem is, because Ive encountered almost the same problem. If you dont have a bracket to hold up the cone part of the intake, The whole Mid Pipe will fall off. Due to that Little rubber piece that came with the mid pipe that does frfom the pipe to the Throttle Body. When You put that on, as tight as you can, the intake with the mid pipe is so heavy, it just falls off. Do what I did. Go back to that little stock black filter box you took out of the car, and take off that rubber flex section that was on that box that connected to the throttle body. Put it on the mid pipe in place of that rubber hose. Then connect to the Thottle Body. What that does is if you dont have a braket fo the intake, it will let it slop of the trottle body without Falling off because of the flexable part on the rubber.

I hope this helps, It helped me
Old 09-23-2002, 03:46 AM

Thanks for all the help guys, but my car is being towed to nissan today so i took out the intake ( i will be selling it too ) and put the stock back in. I realized that i should first get money to get wheels/tires before i do any performance mods, seeing as im still sitting on hubcaps.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:18 PM
lefty

I know this is an old thread but I read it during a search and was curious to what the dealer found out?

RSA Max..update us if you have not already.

Old 02-24-2003, 06:29 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally posted by JetBlackMax
I think I know what your problem is, because Ive encountered almost the same problem. If you dont have a bracket to hold up the cone part of the intake, The whole Mid Pipe will fall off. Due to that Little rubber piece that came with the mid pipe that does frfom the pipe to the Throttle Body. When You put that on, as tight as you can, the intake with the mid pipe is so heavy, it just falls off. Do what I did. Go back to that little stock black filter box you took out of the car, and take off that rubber flex section that was on that box that connected to the throttle body. Put it on the mid pipe in place of that rubber hose. Then connect to the Thottle Body. What that does is if you dont have a braket fo the intake, it will let it slop of the trottle body without Falling off because of the flexable part on the rubber.

I hope this helps, It helped me
Or you could just use a zip tie to hold up the filter.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:30 PM

Sorry I took so long, but the dealer said my clutch sensor went bad, took abour $200 out the pocket to fix, I ended up selling my intake and putting the money towards a body kit, which I now have on my car. I have stillen/ionics. I also ordered some 18" wheels for the spring, I decided to go with show for now until I become smarter about the maxia and moddin it. F'ing up the frankencar installation really put me down mentally, lol. I'll get over it when my car is looking bling-bling this spring.
Bob