4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

exhaust noises anyone have suggestions? please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 04:06 PM

exhaust noises anyone have suggestions? please help

ok i had a cat back put on and it was fine but latly my whole exhaust pipe has been rattling around underneath my car - the only time it does it is over bumps so i figure it is moving around and hitting my car underneath- i was wondering if anyone has had this problem or if anyone knows how to fix it ? maybe supports fell off or somthing any info you guys could tell me i would appreciate it- thanks you
Old 02-23-2003, 04:39 PM

Re: exhaust noises anyone have suggestions? please help

Originally posted by danw2481
ok i had a cat back put on and it was fine but latly my whole exhaust pipe has been rattling around underneath my car - the only time it does it is over bumps so i figure it is moving around and hitting my car underneath- i was wondering if anyone has had this problem or if anyone knows how to fix it ? maybe supports fell off or somthing any info you guys could tell me i would appreciate it- thanks you

Have you looked under your car to see if you could find the problem. If not you might want to try looking and then ask the ? again. To me a rattling of the exhaust would be happening all the time. If it made a noise when it went over bumps then I would call that a knocking. Here's why...my cat had broken up inside and would 'rattle' at certain rpms. Then I discovered that one of the rubber boots was missing, this was allowing my exhaust to 'knock' against the car when I went over a bump. Hope this helps, and please do yourself a favor and look under the car. I have a feeling it is a simple fix.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:44 PM

Re: Re: exhaust noises anyone have suggestions? please help

yes ive looked under my car and the cat looks kinda messed up -what did ur cat look like mine looks as if somthing is hanging off of it like the heat shield or somthing - so maybe thats what it is - it is a knocking not rattling

Originally posted by tampamax

Have you looked under your car to see if you could find the problem. If not you might want to try looking and then ask the ? again. To me a rattling of the exhaust would be happening all the time. If it made a noise when it went over bumps then I would call that a knocking. Here's why...my cat had broken up inside and would 'rattle' at certain rpms. Then I discovered that one of the rubber boots was missing, this was allowing my exhaust to 'knock' against the car when I went over a bump. Hope this helps, and please do yourself a favor and look under the car. I have a feeling it is a simple fix.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: exhaust noises anyone have suggestions? please help

yes ive looked under my car and the cat looks kinda messed up -what did ur cat look like mine looks as if somthing is hanging off of it like the heat shield or somthing - so maybe thats what it is - it is a knocking not rattling

The heat shield should not be hanging off. And did you have the car running from a cold start when you looked under the car? When you do this you can search for noises and play with the pipes without burning yourself. With the car off try to grab the exhaust at different points and get it to bang into something-this is where you will find the knocking. Then start the car and listen for unusual noises. Also play with the pipes to see if you can get any wierd noises to manifest themselves-this is were you will find the rattles.
A heat shield will rattle not knock. However, if you look under your car half way down the center pipe you will see a bar that is perpendicular to the pipe. If the pipe/exhaust and bar are very close together then that could be your problem-the knocking. Check the hanger near that area to see if the boot has come off.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: exhaust noises anyone have suggestions? please help

yes i do not see any boot their - where can i get one ?

The heat shield should not be hanging off. And did you have the car running from a cold start when you looked under the car? When you do this you can search for noises and play with the pipes without burning yourself. With the car off try to grab the exhaust at different points and get it to bang into something-this is where you will find the knocking. Then start the car and listen for unusual noises. Also play with the pipes to see if you can get any wierd noises to manifest themselves-this is were you will find the rattles.
A heat shield will rattle not knock. However, if you look under your car half way down the center pipe you will see a bar that is perpendicular to the pipe. If the pipe/exhaust and bar are very close together then that could be your problem-the knocking. Check the hanger near that area to see if the boot has come off.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: exhaust noises anyone have suggestions? please help

yes i do not see any boot their - where can i get one ?

Think before you ask these ?'s bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The obvious choice would be a muffler shop. ($2)
Old 02-24-2003, 02:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: exhaust noises anyone have suggestions? please help

thnsk a lot - do u know a good shop in jersey - or a website - also how much do they run and what are they called exactly - thanks in advance

Think before you ask these ?'s bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The obvious choice would be a muffler shop. ($2)
Old 02-24-2003, 07:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: exhaust noises anyone have suggestions? please help

thnsk a lot - do u know a good shop in jersey - or a website - also how much do they run and what are they called exactly - thanks in advance

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOOK AT THE LAST POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TWWWWOOOOOOOOO BUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSS
MUUUUUUUFFFFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLEEEEEERRRRR SHHHOOOOPPPPP
RUBBER THINGY....THEY WILL KNOW WHAT YOU NEED

If you want then just go in your auto parts store, they have them.
BTW.....Are you just Fing with me? Or was that a serious question-----DON'T ANSWER THAT i'm afraid to find out the truth!
Old 02-24-2003, 07:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: exhaust noises anyone have suggestions? please help

what do you mean by all that i dont understand -but you didnt answer my questions do you know a good shop in jersey? also do you know a good website and the EXACT name of the rubber thingy as you stated - thanks a lot - peace

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOOK AT THE LAST POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TWWWWOOOOOOOOO BUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSS
MUUUUUUUFFFFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLEEEEEERRRRR SHHHOOOOPPPPP
RUBBER THINGY....THEY WILL KNOW WHAT YOU NEED

If you want then just go in your auto parts store, they have them.
BTW.....Are you just Fing with me? Or was that a serious question-----DON'T ANSWER THAT i'm afraid to find out the truth!