4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Problem With Shifting ..

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 08:14 PM

Problem With Shifting ..

Today on my way back from school .. I had some problems shifting. The car is driveable, but there is a noticable pause between when i shift, and when the gear engages. When i accelerate into the next gear, i feel nothing for a second or two and the tach goes up, before you feel it engage. Could it be the clutch? Only 30,500 miles on the car, bought it at 28k.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:38 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Problem With Shifting ..

Originally posted by DFord97
Today on my way back from school .. I had some problems shifting. The car is driveable, but there is a noticable pause between when i shift, and when the gear engages. When i accelerate into the next gear, i feel nothing for a second or two and the tach goes up, before you feel it engage. Could it be the clutch? Only 30,500 miles on the car, bought it at 28k.

Thanks.
i think your clutch is slipping.

When i first had conversion done, mine did the same thing. I had to reach high rpm's just to get the power of if i were at 2 or 3k....

then i got my pedal adjusted and it worked perfectly. Being that you haven't had this problem before, maybe u abused your clutch too much?

is this your first 5 speed? do you race hard all the time?
Old 09-23-2002, 09:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Problem With Shifting ..

Originally posted by meccanoble

i think your clutch is slipping.

When i first had conversion done, mine did the same thing. I had to reach high rpm's just to get the power of if i were at 2 or 3k....

then i got my pedal adjusted and it worked perfectly. Being that you haven't had this problem before, maybe u abused your clutch too much?

is this your first 5 speed? do you race hard all the time?
I would definitely agree that it's clutch slippage. When you're driving at ~3.5 krpm, take your foot off of the gas, the floor it. Watch your tachometer and speedometer. If the tachometer climbs, but the speedometer doesn't, your clutch is slipping.

That's pretty low mileage for a worn clutch, unless you always speed shift. Maybe you just need it adjusted?

I had this problem when I first got my PRCAI. The clutch was fine beforehand, but I guess the bump in HP made it easier to slip it

This'll give you a good excuse for getting an ACT clutch

-Sryth...
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
'98 SE 5spd, Pebble Beige, PRCAI, Stillen Y, Stillen FSTB, ACT clutch.
Pacesetter STS to be installed this week!
Old 09-23-2002, 10:04 PM

this is my first 5 speed .. but i had to not drive the car for about a month or so and it was fine, today I drive it for the first time and this problem arises. I drive it hard sometimes, but I've only had the car for a couple thousand miles and I don't think i drive it THAT hard. It's due for it's 30k maintenence anyways so I guess I'll get it checked out.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

this is my first 5 speed .. but i had to not drive the car for about a month or so and it was fine, today I drive it for the first time and this problem arises. I drive it hard sometimes, but I've only had the car for a couple thousand miles and I don't think i drive it THAT hard. It's due for it's 30k maintenence anyways so I guess I'll get it checked out.
I'm assuming that it's still under warrantee. I'd take it back and complain about it. They might do something. They should at least look at it for free if it's under warrantee.

-Sryth...
Old 09-24-2002, 12:12 PM

so i went to drive it to school today ....

problem was still there, only this time, about 10 minutes into my ride, it stops functioning completely. every time i tried to accelerate it just redlined and did nothing ... then came a nasty smell and you could feel heat coming from the clutch if you put your foot there. this cant be good. i was in the far left lane and managed to get the hazards on and get all the way right and roll onto a side street where my car is parked right now. i will get it into a shop but am i definitely going to need a new clutch?
Old 09-24-2002, 04:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so i went to drive it to school today ....

problem was still there, only this time, about 10 minutes into my ride, it stops functioning completely. every time i tried to accelerate it just redlined and did nothing ... then came a nasty smell and you could feel heat coming from the clutch if you put your foot there. this cant be good. i was in the far left lane and managed to get the hazards on and get all the way right and roll onto a side street where my car is parked right now. i will get it into a shop but am i definitely going to need a new clutch?
Either you'll need a new clutch, or it's just SERIOUSLY out of adjustment. I'd bet on the first one, though.

If you do end up needing a clutch, what kind are you going to get?

-Sryth...