4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Benefits of porting MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 06:04 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Benefits of porting MAF?

I'm both bored and broke, so I'm always looking for cheap ways to mod. Would porting my MAF make a noticeable difference? I just want to cut down the "bottom half" of the huge post in the middle of the sensor. This would remove a thumb-sized impediment to airflow. Seeing as my engine as all stock, I'm guessing this is not worth the time/risk involved.

I figured as long as I'm in need of a $100 knock sensor, I might as well mess with a $500 part that the car cannot run without...
Old 09-25-2002, 06:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If you change the MAF's port size in any way it will throw off it's calibration. More air will get past it without being measured which could cause a lean condition. Then your o2's will detect it, adjust the ECU. Hummmm on second guess, maybe it will work..

Then agian, it could cause a hesitation.

I think you should try it and give us some feedback.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:37 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I think you should try it and give us some feedback.

Ok, I'll go for and report butt-dyno results...

But, in case it all goes to hell, I'm starting the "buy Ben a new MAF fund."

My PayPal ID is bennett.garner@normentind.com

All contributions are appreciated
Old 09-25-2002, 06:42 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by mzmtg

Ok, I'll go for and report butt-dyno results...

But, in case it all goes to hell, I'm starting the "buy Ben a new MAF fund."
Old 09-25-2002, 07:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Benefits of porting MAF?

I'm both bored and broke, so I'm always looking for cheap ways to mod. Would porting my MAF make a noticeable difference? I just want to cut down the "bottom half" of the huge post in the middle of the sensor. This would remove a thumb-sized impediment to airflow. Seeing as my engine as all stock, I'm guessing this is not worth the time/risk involved.

if you figure up the area, the TB is still the smallest part in the intake tract. Even when you take into consideration the screen as a 15% blockage and take the area of the top and bottom post, it still flows more than the stock TB. I had the same plans but when we took it off and started measuring, I realized that there was use without a larger TB.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:57 AM

I did this a few k miles ago, no noticable loss of drivability. As far as a power gain, theoretically yes, but I have no proof. I took a hack saw blade and one sided blade holder and sawed off the lower post. Then I used a dremel to clean it up. FWIW I have been doing allot of highway driving recently and am still getting 26-28mpg.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:20 AM
dot dot dot ...

I thought you already changed your knock sensor just recently? Didn't you run a 16.xx before the k.s, and the 15.2 just after you replced it?

Back to the subject, is your screen removed from your MAF? I always wanted to try out this mod, or something similar to see the gains, because after my MEVI, I'm quite broke.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:00 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by NmexMAX
I thought you already changed your knock sensor just recently? Didn't you run a 16.xx before the k.s, and the 15.2 just after you replced it?
No, I ran a 16.xx my first time at the track and ran a 15.2 after I learned to drive and the weather got colder.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
Back to the subject, is your screen removed from your MAF? I always wanted to try out this mod, or something similar to see the gains, because after my MEVI, I'm quite broke.
I read everything I could read on the internet about removing it, and I decided to remove it. I sanded the end where the screen was and got rid of all of the rough edges and made it into a kind of venturi shape. I have noticed no ill effects, but I also didnt notice any gains from it. We figured it to be about a 15% restriction in airflow, but like I said earlier the throttle body is still the most restrictive part in the intake. Someone needs to come out with a 65mm throttle body for us N/A guys. I dont really see spending $200 to get mine ported to 63.5mm and still not have it the size I want. I mean come on, they make 68mm throttle bodies for civics.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:50 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

yeah i've got a spare maf if urs dies =)
Old 09-25-2002, 02:06 PM

go ahead and port it, then I can sell my MAF
Old 09-25-2002, 03:43 PM

Re: Benefits of porting MAF?

Porting the MAF is only good if your topping it out. The se-r guys sometimes port the stock maf to raise the limit from 260whp to 300whp. After that most go with a cobra MAF or Z32 MAF. From what I seen the stock maf should be fine for 300-350whp.

I figured as long as I'm in need of a $100 knock sensor, I might as well mess with a $500 part that the car cannot run without...
Old 09-25-2002, 04:55 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Re: Benefits of porting MAF?

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
From what I seen the stock maf should be fine for 300-350whp.

Um, what have you "seen" about the horsepower limits of the MAF on a 95 Maxima?
Old 09-25-2002, 05:35 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by 96sleeper

Someone needs to come out with a 65mm throttle body for us N/A guys. I dont really see spending $200 to get mine ported to 63.5mm and still not have it the size I want. I mean come on, they make 68mm throttle bodies for civics.

I am assuming you have seen mardigras posts on the pathfinder TB?

I also agree with you 100% a ford focus can get a 70 mm TB.... and a V8.

Again reasons to mass email companies..lol
Old 09-25-2002, 09:01 PM
henock

is this what you mean: http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Garage/1999%20Nissan%20Maxima%20SE/MAFSensorMod.htm

if so, read the article, if not, ignore me

Old 07-14-2003, 10:44 PM
Conecarver

65mm?

Originally posted by 96sleeper

I read everything I could read on the internet about removing it, and I decided to remove it. I sanded the end where the screen was and got rid of all of the rough edges and made it into a kind of venturi shape. I have noticed no ill effects, but I also didnt notice any gains from it. We figured it to be about a 15% restriction in airflow, but like I said earlier the throttle body is still the most restrictive part in the intake. Someone needs to come out with a 65mm throttle body for us N/A guys. I dont really see spending $200 to get mine ported to 63.5mm and still not have it the size I want. I mean come on, they make 68mm throttle bodies for civics.
Sorry to exhume this from the dead but I just read about a 65mm TB on B13 models.
http://www.nissanforums.com/showthre...threadid=10516
I read the 70mm Pathfinder was a bit too large so maybe one of these will bolt up too?
Old 07-14-2003, 11:47 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Alright, lots of things.

1. I removed my screen, from my pipe that is, because it had rediculous amounts of resin on it. No, I removed my MAF screen because I did a homemade intake. All is good so far. Done almost a thousand with not problems. Couldn't tell gains because I did it at the same time as the cone.

2. Why even consider 63-68 mm TB mods when u can get a 70mm TB from a salvage Pathfinder for nothin'.

3. I would be interested to get the real stats on chopping the MAF with a diff TB.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:11 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I cut the MAF intake adapter plate off all together. I was too cheap to buy a MAF adapter and too stupid to think of the HAI thing. Anyway removing the screen did nothing 4 me and its been about 40,000 miles since i did it with no problems (I think).
Old 07-15-2003, 06:05 AM
Conecarver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by broaner22
[B]Alright, lots of things.
2. Why even consider 63-68 mm TB mods when u can get a 70mm TB from a salvage Pathfinder for nothin'.
a) MardiGrasMax mentioned he could only open up the intake port to like 67mm
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=141403
b) The Pathfinder TB required a bit of work to install ie plate, spacer, etc. - not a direct fit
c) I'm not running 300+hp and don't need that large. Other boards mentioned losing air velocity and response through the system going too large over stock.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:33 AM
Father of the 00 VI

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BEJAY1
[B]
Originally posted by broaner22
Alright, lots of things.
a) MardiGrasMax mentioned he could only open up the intake port to like 67mm
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=141403
b) The Pathfinder TB required a bit of work to install ie plate, spacer, etc. - not a direct fit
c) I'm not running 300+hp and don't need that large. Other boards mentioned losing air velocity and response through the system going too large over stock.
One thing you mhave to relize is the stock throttlebody for are cars isnt any bigger really than a sentra or b-16 engined car, trust me when i put it on it was a noticed power gain and ran lean, for a fact.I think thats why my headgasket went and probably still are running lean, all 4 of my fuel trims are at +21%. At idle my scan tool was even showing increased air flow.
I opened mine more than 67mm i put mine more into the bend.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:40 AM

Re: 65mm?

Originally posted by BEJAY1

Sorry to exhume this from the dead but I just read about a 65mm TB on B13 models.
http://www.nissanforums.com/showthre...threadid=10516
I read the 70mm Pathfinder was a bit too large so maybe one of these will bolt up too?
I never could find a TB from a S13, I looked and they are too rare. I ended up doing the pathfinder TB and it feels good so far, haven't verified gains at the track though. I opened up my intake manifold more than 67mm as well.