4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wife called, she got in accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 04:43 PM

Wife called, she got in accident

She calls and tell me she got in an accident. My heart droped. She was making a right turn on the the further most right lane (like you are suppose too) and some guy in a truck (in the middle lane) decides to change to the right lane in the middle of the intersection, and wam! Hits her. When the cop gets there he tells her that in this state (Nevada) it is legal to switch lanes in the middle of an intersection!
Old 10-02-2002, 04:46 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Wife called, she got in accident

Originally posted by Chino
She calls and tell me she got in an accident. My heart droped. She was making a right turn on the the further most right lane (like you are suppose too) and some guy in a truck (in the middle lane) decides to change to the right lane in the middle of the intersection, and wam! Hits her. When the cop gets there he tells her that in this state (Nevada) it is legal to switch lanes in the middle of an intersection!
Hey, sorry to hear that. I hope you're wife wasn't injured or anything and that she's doin alright. good luck.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:41 PM

I hope your wife is ok...

What kind of stupid law is that in Nevada? So basically I can drive in whichever lane I want during an intersection? I have to remember that the next time I'm in Vegas.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:42 PM
Sports Button FTW

LEGAL TO SWITCH LANES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE F*CKING INTERSECTION?! BULLSH*T!! that's how wack Nevada is, OMG, there's no justice, sure as hell no liberty, you got these hill billy fools throwing up rules whenever they want! You want peace and regulations, come to NJ. Dam that sucks bro, i would be ****ed out my **** if i were u right now. He still hit her though, yaw should get something for that alone
Old 10-02-2002, 05:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hope she is alright...good luck with the repairs.

Erik
Old 10-02-2002, 05:52 PM

When the cop gets there he tells her that in this state (Nevada) it is legal to switch lanes in the middle of an intersection!
Is that cop on dope? This is bullsh!t!!! So, like everyone said, you can change however many lanes you want in the middle of the intersection and it's ok by law? Who came up with that? Where's the safety concern here!

Hope everything is ok with your wife.

Tifosi
Old 10-02-2002, 05:56 PM

OMG...I hope that she is alright, and the car can be repaired! What a stupid state!
Old 10-02-2002, 08:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Wife called, she got in accident

Originally posted by Mike H.
What kind of stupid law is that in Nevada? So basically I can drive in whichever lane I want during an intersection? I have to remember that the next time I'm in Vegas.
I hope she's ok! I hope you're wife's ok too j/k

It's not a stupid law, it's the lack of a good law prohibiting it.

There is, however, a NV law (NRS 484.333) that requires you to make a right turn from "the extreme right lane".

Whether or not it is legal to change lanes in an intersection in NV, I can assure you that it is illegal to change lanes into someone whether you're in an intersection or not (NRS 484.343).
Old 10-02-2002, 09:51 PM

That happened to me this past week. Luckily all that happened was i lost the corner light, the headlight was smashed, and there is a bunch of paint damage on the front left side .. not too bad considering the potential for damage. I hope your wife is alright, it wasn't her fault and I think any judge would see that.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:24 PM

I hope she's ok too. I'm never been in an accident, nor do I desire to go through such an ordeal. I know in California, it's legal to change lanes in the intersection...there are no solid lines...so it's legal (learned this in traffic school). But it's really bad driving edicate and it's frowned upon. I never do it unless I'm at the very end of the intersection....it's just too dangerous and inefficient.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
I hope she's ok too. I'm never been in an accident, nor do I desire to go through such an ordeal. I know in California, it's legal to change lanes in the intersection...there are no solid lines...so it's legal (learned this in traffic school). But it's really bad driving edicate and it's frowned upon. I never do it unless I'm at the very end of the intersection....it's just too dangerous and inefficient.
shes in our prayers.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:44 PM
RodolfoGraziani

No one hurt?

she OK?

And whenever those bs happens, like it happened to my father, floor it.

So when you get a wreck, the other suck-r nosedive against your rear.

And I'd like to emphasize the importance of $1 mod: the round mirror you attach to left side mirror.

Saved me from at least 20+ possible accidents.
luck and prayers.
hh

Old 10-02-2002, 10:55 PM

look at it this way, at least she is the one calling you, as opposed to a cop calling you and telling you she's dead...good luck with the courts and stuff man, seems like a long uphill battle for you.

Kevin
Old 10-03-2002, 06:13 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Don't forget: criminal or person v. state culpability is not the same as civil person v. person liability. No tbeing charged with a criminal or civil moving violation does not vindicate the other driver against civil liability for your damages. Just be sure that you get the acident report, and get to your insurance company ASAP. Make them earn your premiums and work for you. It sounds like the other driver is still liable for your wife's damages, despite his lack of a moving violation.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Wife called, she got in accident

Originally posted by meccanoble

You want peace and regulations, come to NJ.
Word up.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:30 AM

sue him !
Old 10-03-2002, 10:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
Same here in Texas. Also, the laws here are written to define who must yield right of way, rather than defining who has the right of way. As it stands, 1) anyone entering an intersection must yield right of way to someone already in the intersection, and 2), anyone turning onto a thoroughfare must yield right of way to someone already on the thoroughfare, even if that person changes lanes into your lane as you are entering the thoroughfare.
Old 10-03-2002, 12:25 PM

good to know that your wife is in good health, hopefully the car can be repaired.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:32 PM

Wow! I just got a chance to hop on the ORG and let me just say..."Thanks guys"! It feels like ya'll are family and all. After talking with my wife later that night she recalls this. She looked over and no one was coming in the right lane. She pulls out and SUCSESSFULY makes the turn. It is a second or two after she has already turned that she got hit. The estimate was $2,000.00. I'm going to need a new fender, and they will reconstruct/refurbish my bumper and hood. I lost my left clear corner and left sidemarker. They will replace the corner lens with a OEM yellow one! Hehe, talk about mismatching. BTW all of the items will be OEM which I'm happy about. As far as my insurance goes I will only loose my 10% no accident discount. The rate itself will not go up. I currently paying $151.00 a month. So I'm looking at maybe $160.00 a month for both me and my wife. I took her to the ER (I work in a hospital) when she came to pick me up afterwards. Mostly because she is 4 months preagnant and I wanted to make sure my future Maxima enthusiast was well in her belly. I'll go to court and see what happens. You guys don't know how much happier I felt after all the great response and concern. You guys rock!