4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Problem areas on 4th gen Max?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002 | 02:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Problem areas on 4th gen Max?

I'm considering buying a 1996 Maxima with an automatic and 108,000 miles. Are there any particular problems I should look for? Under normal driving conditions, how long should the automatic transmission work without a rebuild?

I plan to take the car to a mechanic for an inspection before purchasing but I thought I would consult the Maxima experts first.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2002 | 03:45 PM

Re: Problem areas on 4th gen Max?

Originally posted by karl
I'm considering buying a 1996 Maxima with an automatic and 108,000 miles. Are there any particular problems I should look for? Under normal driving conditions, how long should the automatic transmission work without a rebuild?

I plan to take the car to a mechanic for an inspection before purchasing but I thought I would consult the Maxima experts first.

Thanks
I have found some but don't remember what they were now. You can do an internet search on Nissan Maxima service bulletin or technical bulletin. Should give you some ideas what are some common problems. And if you car does have those problems, take it to a dealer and a printout of the problem from the bulletin, since it's a known issue, they most likely will fix it for free.

Tifosi
Old 10-09-2002 | 05:42 PM
What's next!?..

Thanks
Hmm..

1. Starter : Go in the early morning when it's still cool and start the car. See if it makes any sort of grinding noise.

2. Mileage is getting up there. You'll probably need new struts soon. The dust boots are probably gone or very brittle.

3. Check the exhaust system and look for any serious rust. Heat shield supports tend to rust through.

4. See if you can get any past repair records. There was a recall on one of the O2 sensors a few years ago for the 95 models. Probably applied to 96 too.

can't think of anything else at the moment..

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2002 | 12:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i just bought a 96 SE Auto to replace my 95 SE 5spd (actually won it on ebay). the new one is an auto with 98K and shifts just like my friends '00 SE with 22K, very solid, very smooth. You might notice when doing a rolling stop and stepping on the gas again it will feel like its slipping...this is normal i guess.

The 95 and early 96's had a timing chain tensioner rattle when started cold, or after sitting for a few hours. It sounds really bad atually, then quiets down as soon as the engine has been running a few seconds and built oil pressure. Not a fun or cheap fix ($200 in parts plus a weekend if you are a seasoned mechanic, or $1100 at the dealer). The rattle will even be there just reving the engine a little....at least until the engine is warmed up.....my car did it almost constantly by the time i fixed it...especially in the cold months too.

I had reservations about buying a high mileage automatic, but others on the forum that have done good maintenance have reported 150K or more. color of fluid means nothing...if it smells burnt, that's bad.

If you are in a northern climate there can be some noticable exhaust system corrosion.

And the earlier comment about strut boots being bad...oh yeah. My boots are cracked but the struts are firm yet, and the tie rods and ball joints are nice and tight yet. On my 95 the swivel plates for the front struts were dry as well as cracked boots (bought it with 70K sold at 84K).

you can expect a few sensor failures unless they have been replaced already...egr temp sensor, any of the three O2 sensors, knock sensor.

I see no reason this car won't go 130K+ before i have to really put anything major into it.

its all about prior maintenance....you can drive the pants off a car but if he took care of it, it will be fine. just don't pay too much.

good luck....john
Old 10-16-2002 | 09:11 AM

be sure your waterpump is in good condition, this problem is a pain in the a$$
Old 10-16-2002 | 09:34 AM
RodolfoGraziani

Not major prob

After 6K of driving my 95, I find no major prob. Bought at 78K, now 85.5K

Just make sure you do a throttle body cleaning and the car should be starting fine.

Transmission is like new. Don't butcher your tranny by doing the so called "manual shifting."

And be aggressive only when required
Old 10-16-2002 | 10:12 AM

Anyone know how much a throttle body cleaning goes for? I just hit 50K on my 97, I'm wondering if/when I should get it done.
Old 10-16-2002 | 10:14 AM

Re: Re: Problem areas on 4th gen Max?

Originally posted by Tifosi

I have found some but don't remember what they were now. You can do an internet search on Nissan Maxima service bulletin or technical bulletin. Should give you some ideas what are some common problems. And if you car does have those problems, take it to a dealer and a printout of the problem from the bulletin, since it's a known issue, they most likely will fix it for free.

Tifosi
since when do dealers fix TSB's for free? Maybe a recall but not a TSB.
Old 10-16-2002 | 11:58 AM

Originally posted by laba
Anyone know how much a throttle body cleaning goes for? I just hit 50K on my 97, I'm wondering if/when I should get it done.
My local dealer said "around $75".

I went and bought a can of cleaner for less than $5.00.

Motorvate has instructions posted.
They suggest removing the whole air intake.
I just removed the rubber accordian bit
in front of the throttle body...
yeah, you'd have more/easier access if you took everything off.
I was just lazy. I was able to get it pretty clean though
and performnance did improve.
Old 10-16-2002 | 01:01 PM

Thanks
Taking the car to a mechanic is a very good idea. I did it before buying mine and he found the power steering system had a leak. The dealer corrected it before I bought it.

If you are buying the Maxima from a dealer here's a tip. Once you have finished negotiating the price you can show them you are still not completely satisfied and tell them you'll buy it if they extend the used car warranty (get it in writing). I got six months instead of three. Also you can try and get a carfax report on the car (you'll need the VIN).

I have 59,400 miles on my Maxima and the starter already failed so I think that's something you should really check.
Old 10-16-2002 | 01:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Common 4th gen maxima problems:
knock sensor
rear e-brake cables
starter on 95-96

Common things to check to all used vehicles:
suspension (boots, bushings, struts/shocks)
carbonization of pistons (rattle-tap going up hills)
timing belts (not on maximas, but on most other cars ATM)
accessory/power steering belts (check for wear)
fluid flushes (tranny/gear, brake, radiator) and filters (air, fuel)
brake wear (rotors, pads)
service records (regular maintenance?)

I'm probably leaving stuff out but it's been a long day
Old 10-16-2002 | 03:55 PM

Alternator seemed to go on my car and my friends around 90K...so that might be something...but everything else people listed sounds about right.

-John
Old 10-16-2002 | 06:09 PM
What's next!?..

Originally posted by laba
Just do it yourself. Takes 30 minutes, a flat screwdriver, a rachet set, old toothbrush, a clean rag, and $2 for a can of throttle body cleaner.

check out this website www.motorvate.ca
Old 10-16-2002 | 08:12 PM
Zam

My sunroof died about 1000 miles ago on my 96 w/61k miles. I haven't done any serious tsing on it, so maybe it is a minor problem (versus complete replacement).

Zam
Old 10-17-2002 | 01:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i think the most importain is oil leak,make sure you don't see oil leak in the back of timing chain case($2,400.00/21hrs),rear main seal($1,230.00/11hrs)that's the quote i got from my dealer.the mechanic told me there is a o-ring behind the timing chain case that will leak in time,mine did. so i am going have to find sometime to fix it myself,prolly with the help of my friend.
Old 10-17-2002 | 09:42 PM

Ok well seeminly none else has the usual problems...watch out for the knock sensor, the O2 sensor, the temp sensor, and the cv boots/joints. I know alot of people including myself with these problems, my boots went not 3 months after I bought my car.