4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Keyless Remote!!!HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2000, 10:12 AM

Is there a way I can find out if my car uses one, how do we check or what, I have a 1996 SE Sper Black but have no idea if my car uses one or not.
Old 12-22-2000, 10:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Remote for my Max

I have a friend who has the same car as you and we compared his to mine. I added a remote to mine later because I saw the alarm. In your car, to the left of the steering wheel, like just a bit under the feul gage, there's an LED there indicating that status of your car alarm. In my friends 96 SE, his was dead, therefore no alarm But on mine, when I close the door, it blinks red, and when I lock the doors, it stays a steady red for about a minute and then blinks, indicating that the alarm has activated. If you have that, then your car can use one!

To get a remote, goto ebay and search for NISSAN Remotes, even Infinit remotes will work fine. ABout $30 to $40 bucks.

Then goto Steve Ctchen's Max Faqs to figure how to re-progam it to your car. His MaxFQs are here;

http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/

Hope this helps.

DW

Originally posted by tecuhtli
Is there a way I can find out if my car uses one, how do we check or what, I have a 1996 SE Sper Black but have no idea if my car uses one or not.
Old 12-22-2000, 10:33 AM

I believe, but maybe wrong, if you have the factory security system you also have the keyless enrty. What I mean is all you have to do is buy a remote key fob and program it for your car. If you have a security light in the lower left side of your instrument cluster, you have the security system. You can find instructions on how to program a remote on the web, many of the maxima sites contain this info.
Old 12-22-2000, 11:18 AM

They are correct

But don't go to the dealer for a remote, they want more like $65-70 for one...go to Ebay, that's what I did...go a brand new one from a guy who's always selling them, paid $28 for one....beats $70 any day.
Old 12-22-2000, 12:23 PM
Lives in a 350Z

ok my car has a little led light so it has security but i have no remote also if i buy one and program it, it should work with the alarm right? it can be any remote then i thought nissan made one for keyless and one for alarm i don't know...
Old 12-22-2000, 01:13 PM

no

The actual remote does not really "activate" the security system directly.

The security system is activated by the locking of the doors.

Notice how you can activate and deactivate the security sys. without a remote and just with your key?

The keyless entry remote happens to unlock and lock your doors like your key, and therefore will work to deactivate/activate the alarm.

But I think you are right bout there being two types of remotes. One for a security system enabled car, which has that "panic" button and one for just keyless entry without the panic button.

But the keyless entry was sold in that convenience package, so i think most people have both the keyless and security.
Old 12-22-2000, 01:35 PM
Lives in a 350Z

oh ok cool
also i remember back in a old thread someone said if u held down the unlock button your windows went down also???... what other options are there i dont have manual so i'm stuck.
Old 12-22-2000, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by maximumsport
oh ok cool
also i remember back in a old thread someone said if u held down the unlock button your windows went down also???... what other options are there i dont have manual so i'm stuck.
you can hold down another button for the trunk and it opens up your trunk. i thought mine didnt work first when i kept pressing it but then i learned you have to hold it down for a bit. take care.
Old 12-22-2000, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by maximumsport
ok my car has a little led light so it has security but i have no remote also if i buy one and program it, it should work with the alarm right? it can be any remote then i thought nissan made one for keyless and one for alarm i don't know...
Since your Max has the security system you will be able to roll your windows down with your remote too. Great feature in the heat of summer!